Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I think the Pens need to get a reality check and go for it this offseason. Deal Malkin for some defense.

Many of the Pens fans I know have always been adamant that you can't deal Malkin but now they're actually pretty open to it. He's having a fine year and isn't the problem, but he may need to be the key to the solution. If they could send him for a package of a center and two top-four dmen they could get back in it.

Edited by Hoss

I think the Pens need to get a reality check and go for it this offseason. Deal Malkin for some defense.

I really, really wanted Malkin to Montreal this offseason, I was convinced. What do you honestly think Malkin fetches? A bonafide, #1 for sure, and then some. How many teams are willing to trade that away for offense? Anaheim? Nashville?

As bad as the Pen's defense seems to be, just looking at their standings and they have 67 GA and GF this year, or 6th and 27th best in the league respectively 

Seems a little harsh. Made the playoffs last year and are in the playoff race this year. 4-3-3 last 10. Maybe more than meets the eye here. Still, as fans of a franchise that kept the same guy around for 16 years, this is more than a little refreshing.

The guys on the hockey channel on XM have been talking about Pittsburgh for the last week or two. Apparently there has been some serious tension within the organization very recently. The called this about a week ago. Me thinks Pittsburgh is on its way down, Mario's trying to GM/coach that team without actually being the GM/coach.

The guys on the hockey channel on XM have been talking about Pittsburgh for the last week or two. Apparently there has been some serious tension within the organization very recently. The called this about a week ago. Me thinks Pittsburgh is on its way down, Mario's trying to GM/coach that team without actually being the GM/coach.

Accurate. There's been a ton of tension there. Mario and his partners are trying to sell the team (obviously not to anybody who would move them). There were rumors of Crosby and Mario having a dispute but it was strongly denied.

There hasn't been the typical reports of "Johnston deserved better/is a great coach" so far. I saw a tweet that joked Pens fans on Twitter have mixed reactions to the firing, ranging from happy to ecstatic.

If they deal Malkin they absolutely must get someone back who can play second line center.

Probably. Hence Backes. But they have to prioritize defense in the deal. I don't know if getting just one defender is enough. They've got Crosby, Beau Bennett, Nick Bonino, Eric Fehr and Matt Cullen if they don't get a second-line center back in the deal.

The Blackhawks got away without a second-line center. If the Pens can add multiple legitimate top-four dmen then they'll be fine offensively. They've got Kessel, Hornqvist, Kunitz, Perron and a new guy by the name of Plotnikov who is a very good player if advanced stats are your thing.

Edited by Hoss

It also makes you wonder if this is a root of Crosby's struggles. Can't exactly score if you never have the puck. I think 'll dig up the Penguin's possession charts when I get home

I wonder if the root of Crosby and Malkin struggles is their salary and its impact on the rest of the roster.  There are only so many dollars to go around.  That leaves guys like Niskanen on the outside looking in.  

Edited by wjag

Chip off the old block :thumbsup:

Chicken head :thumbdown:

Please don't look it up. Your happier this way. Trust me.

I'll trust you, Woodsie.

I even noticed a typo (damn phone ... still getting used to it ...  :thumbsup: ... when in doubt blame the phone), which I thought maybe was part of Inky's reply motivation. Then I just thought, oh yeah, it's Inky, so there.

Love you, Inky.

Nope.

Not going to do it.

Coyotes come back from 4-1 to tie it at 4-4 with 15 seconds to go and force OT. Duclair has been a beast tonight.

... aaaand they lose in OT. Bummer.

You are the only person in the world who cares about that team and who also has an Internet connection. You know that, right?

You are the only person in the world who cares about that team and who also has an Internet connection. You know that, right?

I care about them just a little, disproving your charming theory.

Tough love for Grigorenko and a challenging season for the Avs.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_29238258/avs-coach-patrick-roy-trying-ignite-mikhail-grigorenkos

Seems like each is lying about their love of the other.