Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

The CBS blog had a good writeup, sorry no link. The consensus seemed to be that be didn't want to do Jrs. (not enough of a challenge), had some schooling issues with becoming NCAA eligible (needed more credits?), missed this year's draft by a few days, and so he petitioned for permission to play professionally.

Sounded like a unique case - one that's not apt to be repeated too often.

Here's the link.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25262727/auston-matthews-top-nhl-draft-prospect-signs-pro-deal-in-switzerland

Good story.

The travel will be a fraction of the WHL, which spans nearly half of our continent. NCAA didn't seem to be on his radar, the NHL is his goal, not an education. He will benefit from having Crawford as a coach. Crawford will be on speed dial for many GMs and scouts. Those types will rack up air miles this year to get a few games in. It will be interesting to see his numbers in that league. Seguin scored 40 points in 29 games as a 20 year old during the lockout. It will be more difficult to compare him to the other European prospects because they are mostly in the Swedish, Finnish or KHL.

The pay is pretty good too.

Good story.

The travel will be a fraction of the WHL, which spans nearly half of our continent. NCAA didn't seem to be on his radar, the NHL is his goal, not an education. He will benefit from having Crawford as a coach. Crawford will be on speed dial for many GMs and scouts. Those types will rack up air miles this year to get a few games in. It will be interesting to see his numbers in that league. Seguin scored 40 points in 29 games as a 20 year old during the lockout. It will be more difficult to compare him to the other European prospects because they are mostly in the Swedish, Finnish or KHL.

The pay is pretty good too.

The pay is excellent.  I can see this being an issue for the CHL soon.  One or two stars every year jumping to Switzerland.

The pay is excellent.  I can see this being an issue for the CHL soon.  One or two stars every year jumping to Switzerland.

Someone outlined about why they don;'t think it will happen.  A junior aged player needs to be good enough to crack the top 6 or top 4 D because of foreign player restrictions.

Personally, I hope it becomes an issue for CHL, that way we can start to see changes to eligibility for AHL.

Someone outlined about why they don;'t think it will happen.  A junior aged player needs to be good enough to crack the top 6 or top 4 D because of foreign player restrictions.

Personally, I hope it becomes an issue for CHL, that way we can start to see changes to eligibility for AHL.

True but would hate to see undrafted players like matthews end up in the AHL though.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/10/nhlpa-files-grievance-on-behalf-of-mike-richards/.  NHLPA files on behalf of Mike Richards. Interesting in light of the discussion going on in other threads.

I'd love to know why it took so long.  This is easily one of the craziest situations we've seen yet it seems to have gone completely silent for a while now.

I'd love to know why it took so long.  This is easily one of the craziest situations we've seen yet it seems to have gone completely silent for a while now.

The delay is puzzling.  Perhaps Richards did not want to open another front where he would be subject to questioning under oath while a criminal investigation was pending. 

Am I the only one who finds the Kings' behavior in handling the Voynov situation and now Richards horrifying?

One of them hasn't so much as been charged with a crime yet and they move to axe him because his contract is unfavorable and he has little to offer from a hockey sense. The other has now been convicted of a domestic violence offense. Before that, in a tone deaf move borne of sheer ballsiness he was, at least on one well-publicized occasion "definitely not practicing with the team, nope, just out for a skate."

They were ticked at the NHL, and it's the league, as far as I'm aware, that has levied his suspension on him. The Kings, I think, were rather loath to do it since Voynov can still play hockey once he's out of jail... I hope it's not for the Kings, but I don't know that I'd put it past them....

Jarret Stoll signs with the Rangers

Good dot man.  Not so good stat man otherwise.

Maybe he destroyed his cell phone.

Honestly?  Probably summer vacations and the fact that training camp hasn't started yet.

Love the Duck's, really wish Colorado would've went back to the old Nordique's blue though

For 3rds, they are supposed to stick w/ colors on the existing sweaters/logos. Of course, they've also got vintages/throwbacks & winter classics, and they'd probably let the B's wear green jerseys on March 17, so sure, why not go w/ the old Nordique blue.