Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Hearing some rumblings that a recent Stanley Cup champion may be getting arrested...

(Being purposefully vague. Will provide other details if I learn more)

This arrest would likely end his career if the allegations are true.

Edited by Hoss

Never mind. Muir appears to have a bead on this.

By all accounts, hockey fans are the big winners here. MLBAM is considered the gold standard for its ability to relay content to the public in slick, fast and easily accessible formats.

What we should not see is a clamping down on the cottage industry of YouTube videos and instant GIFs posted to social media. MLB has silenced these as a contravention of its copyrights, but the NHL has allowed them to exist because it recognizes the value they have in advancing conversation about the sport. Since the NHL—and not MLBAM—will continue to have control over that decision, no one involved in the production of these video hits should expect a cease-and-desist letter any time soon.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/08/04/nhl-mlb-advanced-media-partnership-details

I sure hope this is true because to me the NHL is the smartest league in how it just lets people use NHL footage as long as it isn't live and what not. They'd have a rebellion on their hands if they were to clamp down like the MLB does since they'd be essentially crushing any and all non-NHL advertising 

This sort of thing - whatever it may be (bank on a fight, MVA, and/or alcohol being involved) - should tend to alleviate the hand wringing over ROR's misstep.

I edited this to strike that take. The allegations are far more serious, and do not inform my view of ROR's situation at all.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but this looks like the make, or break, year for Grigorenko.

After the trade he signed a 1 year $675K contract.

I think being reunited with coach Roy will help him.  Roy knew how to use him in Quebec.

I hope he makes it, but it's got to be hard for him mentally.  On the other hand it may be just the motivation he needs.  He has the skill, but it needs to be managed properly by the coach.

I don't have the time or energy to make it any more clear than this: There is a huge difference in saying to another human being: "I believe you. You're saying you're hurt, that someone hurt you, and I believe you." and saying "Someone's been accused of a crime; I presume him guilty."

Um.

Now you can post it in another thread!

Did it not get posted here? I saw a tweet that said it is confirmed that Austin Matthews is playing in Switzerland this season. Thats pretty big news for the expected #1 overall draft pick.

He is. ZSC Lions (Zurich) announced it. $400K for one year.

Not sure on his motivations honestly, but I believe it would likely have more to do with the challenge against grown men.

I understand this view point (not saying it's yours alone, many express it), but to me it seems like the different style of play and ice outweigh the benefit of more physical/experienced competition. If that was his goal I feel like he should have just went to the NCAA