Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

http://www.tsn.ca/wild-assistant-coach-sydor-arrested-for-dui-1.348913

He had a .30 BAC and was driving his 12 year old son to his hockey game?  HOLY CR..A.. FU.. JES. CHR..WTF!

If this pans out as reported... I mean.. wow.. I don't even know what to say.

He'd have been better off letting his son drive. 

The arrest could end up being a life-extender for the guy. I hope he's open to, and gets the help he obviously needs. 

I recall the name generally - he certainly had a decorated career as a player.

As for calling for his head, I am more and more inclined against that sort of approach - one that appears rooted in the fact that the person happens to work for a pro sports franchise. How many of us would be out of a job for doing something like that? Not many, if any. 

I think I understand that this current culture is a product of ... what? PR concerns? That the teams needed to unload people, who are public figures to varying degrees, when they've done things to subject them to righteous opprobrium?

I dunno. I think people should be given second and third chances. Chances do run out, of course. The need for another chance is especially warranted when the person in question so clearly needs help.

Edited by That Aud Smell

He'd have been better off letting his son drive.

at least he didn't have one of those pesky Tim Hortons drive thrus jump out in front of him....

The arrest could end up being a life-extender for the guy. I hope he's open to, and gets the help he obviously needs. 

As for calling for his head, I am more and more inclined against that sort of approach - one that appears rooted in the fact that the person happens to work for a pro sports franchise. How many of us would be out of a job for doing something like that? Not many, if any. 

I think I understand that this current culture is a product of ... what? PR concerns? That the teams needed to unload people, who are public figures to varying degrees, when they've done things to subject them to righteous opprobrium?

I dunno. I think people should be given second and third chances. Chances do run out, of course. This is especially so when the person in question so clearly needs help.

for a first time offence I don't know if I would go immediately to firing, mostly cause the players wouldn't get the same treatment, but I would see no issue with a suspension similar to what players might face. And there are many jobs where someone could get fired for getting arrested. Many workplace contracts have stipulations in them that if you do something that Ciuld publicly tarnish the image of the company you could be terminated. Most places on a first time of fence like this where no one was hurt would be more inclined to suspend and give time for treatment, but many of those places have that because of unions that will fight to have them sent to treatment first.

The arrest could end up being a life-extender for the guy. I hope he's open to, and gets the help he obviously needs.

I dunno. I think people should be given second and third chances. Chances do run out, of course. The need for another chance is especially warranted when the person in question so clearly needs help.

I'll admit it: I'm absolutely less tolerant of coaches screwing up than I am for normal people, or even the athletes themselves. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am. I'm probably overly cynical, but my gut reaction when something like this happens is "what else has he done that he got out of because of who he is." For all we know this could be his third chance, and maybe he ended up doing this because he wasn't held accountable any of those other times. And yea, I know that's unfair.

Edit: To expand a little, a big part of it for me is the position these guys are in. His going to be hammering his players about responsibility and being professional, and he goes and drives his kid around while near blackout drunk. I mean, I just have no use for it.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

He's an admitted recovering alcoholic.  I'm betting he's had 2nd chances.

What he needs more than anything else is the ability to concentrate on getting his stuff right.  That probably means hockey needs to take a back seat.

What he needs more than anything else is the ability to concentrate on getting his stuff right.  That probably means hockey needs to take a back seat.

Good intell and good points.

If I were the Wild, I'd be talking to him about a leave of absence, in-patient rehab, etc.

Edited by That Aud Smell

His team was awarded the Cup in 1999.  That's what immediately comes to mind for me.

Correct. And now that one of their younger guys will apparently be awol on alcohol rehab, we definitely need to get the puck dropped at the blue line to the left of Hasek to see if our boys in the Shatanic Goatheads can force Game 7. :thumbsup:

Saw Tweet that Quebecor Inc. is in third phase of process intended to. Ring the Nordiques back to Quebec City.

Can a corporation be an owner in the NHL? Thought owners had to actual people?

Pretty sure you confusing NHL ownership rules w/ NFL.

Several teams are owned by LLC's. [Edit: and Rags are owned by MSG.]

Edited by Taro T

The Wild or his son's team?

This photo is so Quebec, so Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/quebec-city-advances-to-3rd-phase-of-nhl-expansion-1.3200039

A few hosers havin' a few pops to celebrate, even if they never get their team back.

1)  The sign is in English.

2)  No one is eating poutine or smoked meat.

3)  The women are clothed.

That is not Quebec.

######.

1)  The sign is in English.

2)  No one is eating poutine or smoked meat.

3)  The women are clothed.

That is not Quebec.

I didn't say the photo was taken in Quebec, but it is so Quebec.

Correct ... English is pretty much forbidden in Quebec City.

Poutine and smoked meat is more a Montreal thing.

And public nudity is still frowned upon in Quebec.

Looks like the photo was taken in Jersey.

That said, I get what you are saying ...  ;)

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

The Hoff has signed a one year deal with the Kings@TSNBobMcKenzie: If this is already out there, I apologize. Haven't been on Twitter. In any case, LAK and Christian Ehrhoff have agreed to terms on 1-yr deal

So the trend going back to the days of Korab still holds: the LA Kings love them some former Sabre D-men.