Real Scouting

Better ice

Pominville

Ruff

Doan

Roy

Gerbe

French Connection Statue

I get not all of those have worked out. They have been improving or are trying to improve in all areas of the team. Terry has grown into the job just like we all do. This team probably has undergone more dramatic changes across all aspects of their hockey business than any other franchise and maybe in all of sports over the last few years.

Are there more things to do? Sure there are. Ticket prices go up in all venues.

Not sure how you can include Regier on that list or any draft picks that have done nothing and/or not even signed contracts yet.

Or the failed pursuit of free agents... Because maybe they just gave them low offers to say they were in it. Who knows.

I'm pretty confident it's not a shadow. Can't say I'm 100% 'til I see it, but idk, I can't look at it and see a shadow.

The fact that it has a yellow/orange/red hue to it makes me think one of two things:

1. It's obviously a shadow...

2. They covered it up so they could reveal that part later.

I'll bet he thinks this post is about him

Well done....although I'd probably rather get a BJ from d4rk than Carley.

The slogan could be used for something not explicitly Sabres-related. Like a business partnership, ad campaign to boost Buffalo business, or part of the launch of the Harbor Center.

"Terry has no interest in being a real estate developer"........"The sole reason for existence is to win the Stanley Cup"........"We will win multiple cups"......."How many Stanley Cups have the Patriots won?"......"Someone please tell me, what has he done wrong?"........"Mama, do I take the lithium at night with the Paxil, or in the morning?"

Not sure how you can include Regier on that list or any draft picks that have done nothing and/or not even signed contracts yet.

Or the failed pursuit of free agents... Because maybe they just gave them low offers to say they were in it. Who knows.

I meant Regehr.

The failed free agents showed they were trying. This place would have had epileptic seizures had Doan signed that massive contract (good and bad seizures). The Parise and Sutter contracts weren't low balls either.

My point being that if you look at the whole picture, this franchise has undergone more change than any other franchise in the NHL. I see them trying to improve all aspects of the hockey operation. Not all of it has worked. But I see them trying.

The draft picks represent the direction we the fans are asking them to go. Just about every draft review I've read outside of Buffalo gives them props for their draft. I think it shows the value of reinvesting in the scouting abandoned by the previous regime. We will need to wait five years to really judge it, but most on here were happy with the second round picks.

The draft picks represent the direction we the fans are asking them to go. Just about every draft review I've read outside of Buffalo gives them props for their draft. I think it shows the value of reinvesting in the scouting abandoned by the previous regime. We will need to wait five years to really judge it, but most on here were happy with the second round picks.

I agree that we have done a complete 180 on how we draft and I think we are drafting better than we were previously. Just take a look at our last 3 years rounds 1-3...

2011: 16th Joel Armia, 77th Daniel Catenacci

2012: 12th Mikhail Grigorenko, 14th Zemgus Girgensons, 44th Jake McCabe, 73rd Justin Kea

2013: 8th Rasmus Ristolainen, 16th Nikita Zadorov, 35th JT Compher, 38th Connor Hurley, 52nd Justin Bailey, 69 Nicholas Baptiste

That is all our draft picks in the the first 3 rounds since Terry Pegula became the owner. 3 of those players (Armia, Catenacci, McCabe) have shown the ability to either play at the pro level or have actually played there. Catenacci has progressed steadily since we drafted him. McCabe was a force at the World Juniors, and Armia's Finn Elite team won it all this year. Grigorenko is still a work in progress. Girgensons is developing into a force, Kea has shown flashes that he could be a solid 3rd line option in the future.

The point being that even if only 50% of these guys work out to be steady NHL players that is 6 guys who can become a new core. Now personally I see 9 of them as making the show in the next 3-4years but time will tell.

We may have not have success YET but things have changed for the better.

I agree that we have done a complete 180 on how we draft and I think we are drafting better than we were previously. Just take a look at our last 3 years rounds 1-3...

2011: 16th Joel Armia, 77th Daniel Catenacci

2012: 12th Mikhail Grigorenko, 14th Zemgus Girgensons, 44th Jake McCabe, 73rd Justin Kea

2013: 8th Rasmus Ristolainen, 16th Nikita Zadorov, 35th JT Compher, 38th Connor Hurley, 52nd Justin Bailey, 69 Nicholas Baptiste

That is all our draft picks in the the first 3 rounds since Terry Pegula became the owner. 3 of those players (Armia, Catenacci, McCabe) have shown the ability to either play at the pro level or have actually played there. Catenacci has progressed steadily since we drafted him. McCabe was a force at the World Juniors, and Armia's Finn Elite team won it all this year. Grigorenko is still a work in progress. Girgensons is developing into a force, Kea has shown flashes that he could be a solid 3rd line option in the future.

The point being that even if only 50% of these guys work out to be steady NHL players that is 6 guys who can become a new core. Now personally I see 9 of them as making the show in the next 3-4years but time will tell.

We may have not have success YET but things have changed for the better.

What exactly have they changed about the way they draft? I know you're trying to make a point there, but I don't think you said what it is. There is definitely one big change in there (which maybe was your point, I'm not sure) and that's the return of the euros.

What exactly have they changed about the way they draft? I know you're trying to make a point there, but I don't think you said what it is. There is definitely one big change in there (which maybe was your point, I'm not sure) and that's the return of the euros.

Yes, if you actually look at the 2010 draft we took 8 Candians and 1 American. We hadn't drafted outside of NA since 2006 4th rounder Felix Shutz (we also took Enroth and Dennis Persson that draft)

I think in the past we would have past on Ristolainen and probably Zadorov. We would definitely not have drafted Armia, Grigs or Girgensons. Okay I can not technically say that for sure but if we use the previous 5 drafts (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010) we took 3 Euros and none since 06. I bet that trend would have continued with the scouting department the way it was.

Also I should add that since 2012 we have drafted 10 times in the 1st 3 rounds. Since 2011 we have had 8 picks in the top 50 and 9 in the top 52.

Also I should add that since 2012 we have drafted 10 times in the 1st 3 rounds. Since 2011 we have had 8 picks in the top 50 and 9 in the top 52.

The drafts following crappy seasons, they wind up with a few extra picks. The drafts after a couple decent playoff runs, they didn't have extra picks. I wouldn't call the trades for extra picks a sign of a change in philosophy. It is simply them realizing that "hey, we kind of suck this year".

The fact that it has a yellow/orange/red hue to it makes me think one of two things:

1. It's obviously a shadow...

2. They covered it up so they could reveal that part later.

Donno. Like I said, I can't look at that pic and see a shadow at all. In the lower half of the pic, a wrinkle in the jersey causes the gold to fold and overlap the blue that I see -- if it were a shadow, this wouldn't happen, as the overlapping gold would instead just be covered and blacked out by the shadow, right? The "shadow" is way too dark, and there's way too drastic of a difference from the gold right next to the area in question. It's blue, or black. But I'm guessing blue.

Donno. Like I said, I can't look at that pic and see a shadow at all. In the lower half of the pic, a wrinkle in the jersey causes the gold to fold and overlap the blue that I see -- if it were a shadow, this wouldn't happen, as the overlapping gold would instead just be covered and blacked out by the shadow, right? The "shadow" is way too dark, and there's way too drastic of a difference from the gold right next to the area in question. It's blue, or black. But I'm guessing blue.

Well you've got to consider the fact that the video features artificial lighting/shadows ON TOP of the natural shadows. So that would make a it appear even darker.

Archived