CONFIRMED BREAKING new Third Jerseys!

Hoss

What would you guys and gals think about turning back the clock to when the Aud really rocked? For half a season at FNC, turn off the video scoreboard, cut the piped-in music and stop the incessant droning of the PA guy. Go retro. What's that, Ted? I just cost the Sabres how many beans? Well, do you want to have a home ice advantage or do you want to make money?

Of course some of the stuff I cut needs to be there. But once you get the fans reacclimated to how a hockey game is supposed to be watched, then conservatively add a few things back in. I'd still keep the video board dark during action though. Slap up a Sabres logo and call it a day. Look at the ice, folks. It's down there.

What would you guys and gals think about turning back the clock to when the Aud really rocked? For half a season at FNC, turn off the video scoreboard, cut the piped-in music and stop the incessant droning of the PA guy. Go retro. What's that, Ted? I just cost the Sabres how many beans? Well, do you want to have a home ice advantage or do you want to make money?

Of course some of the stuff I cut needs to be there. But once you get the fans reacclimated to how a hockey game is supposed to be watched, then conservatively add a few things back in. I'd still keep the video board dark during action though. Slap up a Sabres logo and call it a day. Look at the ice, folks. It's down there.

The Center will never rock like the Aud. The building itself is just not conducive to it.

The Center will never rock like the Aud. The building itself is just not conducive to it.

The Center has already matched the Aud easily during the big playoff runs since 1997. The bigger problem now is how much of the crowd is there to be seen, there to watch the jumbotron, there to play with their phone, or there to cheer for the other team.

Love this idea. I hate how they've jammed so much extra crap into the experience there. They start blasting music when the whistle blows and don't stop until the puck is dropped again. It's hard to even talk to the person sitting next to you.

I had this same problem at Wrigley this year though. They blasted music and announcements every chance they got and it was too loud to talk. You'd leave a game and your ears would hurt (but not from any cheering by the crowd). There's no shortage of idiots working at stadiums, I guess.

I think the recent points about game presentation and arena construction have merit, yet all remain secondary to problem #1: mediocre to bad and boring hockey. Give the fans a reason to make noise, and suddenly all those other concerns don't seem to matter a whole lot.

I think the recent points about game presentation and arena construction have merit, yet all remain secondary to problem #1: mediocre to bad and boring hockey. Give the fans a reason to make noise, and suddenly all those other concerns don't seem to matter a whole lot.

If you can't hit the net hit the ref *clap clap*

Fair point. But even when the team is good again, some of those issues still remain. Art Wander used to rail about the Sabres cutting off chants by starting up the music or announcements. That still happens.

I forgot one of my biggies. Get rid of the horn. Make the fans make noise when the Sabres score. Folks will catch on. I've noticed that some people, mostly kids and older folks, cover their ears when the horn is going off. You can't clap and cover your ears at the same time. Or make it truly ear-splitting. The shouts of pain will be mistaken for joy.

Fair point. But even when the team is good again, some of those issues still remain. Art Wander used to rail about the Sabres cutting off chants by starting up the music or announcements. That still happens.

I forgot one of my biggies. Get rid of the horn. Make the fans make noise when the Sabres score. Folks will catch on. I've noticed that some people, mostly kids and older folks, cover their ears when the horn is going off. You can't clap and cover your ears at the same time. Or make it truly ear-splitting. The shouts of pain will be mistaken for joy.

I know you go to some games now, but this happens a lot less than it used to. They'll hold back if a chant is going on. They wait for it to die down before blasting the music (which even for me is to loud).

Can they lower the roof too? The modern arenas have forever changed those atmospheres. There is no going back short of building new, small arenas. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast.

Can they lower the roof too? The modern arenas have forever changed those atmospheres. There is no going back short of building new, small arenas. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast.

This is part of the reason why I'm looking forward to seeing how Islanders hockey in Barclays plays out.

Honestly not sure, but I know it's a smaller arena, and has already developed a reputation for a great atmosphere.

Anyone remember how loud it was when Derek Plante scored in the Marena? The building size is an issue, but when fans want to be loud, it's going to be loud. It's not like the Jets fans in our arena would be muted. (In watching the Plante clip again, I marvel at how the crowd looked. It was absolute bedlam. I don't think that level of fervor has been reached since. I believe a lot of it was Nolan and style of play, a style I don't Rolston can replicate. But it was also a young rag-tag team without its superstar, a classic underdog. Cleaning out the deadwood (if the process is completed) and going young again just might be the recipe for a return to that Legion of Doom craziness. Hell, it might even come next May.)

Anyone remember how loud it was when Derek Plante scored in the Marena? The building size is an issue, but when fans want to be loud, it's going to be loud. It's not like the Jets fans in our arena would be muted. (In watching the Plante clip again, I marvel at how the crowd looked. It was absolute bedlam. I don't think that level of fervor has been reached since. I believe a lot of it was Nolan and style of play, a style I don't Rolston can replicate. But it was also a young rag-tag team without its superstar, a classic underdog. Cleaning out the deadwood (if the process is completed) and going young again just might be the recipe for a return to that Legion of Doom craziness. Hell, it might even come next May.)

I think I phrased what I said poorly, because I'm in complete agreement with you. Lots of things are contributing to the current lackluster arena atmosphere, but they'd all seem far less important if the product was simply more exciting.

On a side note, I was at that game, and I can't put into words how awesome it was. My favorite fan moment ever (being there as a kid puts it over some arguably bigger moments in my lifetime as a fan).

Late to the party on the whole third jersey topic, but here's one I could behind: a blue and gold goathead. Hell, I could be talked into a blue and gold goathead as the primary and the classic look as the third. Did I just write that? What an era the goathead was. Too bad it represented Rigas, or something, and Larry felt the need to trash it to make some money for OSP.

Late to the party on the whole third jersey topic, but here's one I could behind: a blue and gold goathead. Hell, I could be talked into a blue and gold goathead as the primary and the classic look as the third. Did I just write that? What an era the goathead was. Too bad it represented Rigas, or something, and Larry felt the need to trash it to make some money for OSP.

This?

post-3169-0-88209600-1374451963_thumb.jpg

Larry felt the need to trash it to make some money for OSP.

Remember the story correctly, so the new kids don't get confused.

At the time, just about everyone wanted a change of jersey, as the black and red were Adelphia corporate colors, and we were itching to leave that story in the dust. So Golisano came in and said "I'm going to listen to the fans! Whatever they want, we'll do." So we said, "bring back the blue and gold. Blue and gold! Blue and gold!" Unfortunately, the message never got across that we wanted the old logo too, and the rest is history. Was it a money grab? A jersey change always is, but the reason to change wasn't frivolous, and I wouldn't give credit to LQ for that idea. The trainwreck implementation of the slug, however, he had much more involvement with, even if he didn't draw it...

Please, no. There was a certain look to the black/red/silver/white "goat head" jerseys, but it doesn't translate to the classic blue and gold. If we're going to borrow from that era, let's use the reds:

http://www.icethetic...ffalo-blue.html

Pretty sharp, some pun intended.

I just don't like the negative space above the swords, feels like something should fill it in.

I say bring back Sammy the Sabre:

4ca491bfe8cdb_181315b.jpg

I think I phrased what I said poorly, because I'm in complete agreement with you. Lots of things are contributing to the current lackluster arena atmosphere, but they'd all seem far less important if the product was simply more exciting.

On a side note, I was at that game, and I can't put into words how awesome it was.[b/] My favorite fan moment ever (being there as a kid puts it over some arguably bigger moments in my lifetime as a fan).

That game got 2 HUGE monkeys off their backs - 10 years and Game 7.

The only other game that had that same feel coming out of it IMHO was Game 4 in '99.

Flat out awesome ending to that game. Plante's 1st goal that evening was pretty f'n cool too. That 2nd goal followed my sightline to the net almost exactly. Amazing moment.

And the place was flat out raucous emptying out into the streets as well. Good times. Thanks PA for bringing back that memory.

If they ever did go to a b&g Shatanic goathead, they'd HAVE to do it in the old style but w/ blue replacing black and gold replacing red. And if they did do it, I'd prefer to see the original logo as the shoulder patch (at least over 1 shoulder) rather than the cool B w/ a sword through it.

I thought people new about this already?

They (about 4-5 drummers) are up in an end section of the 200's. Think college football game type of drummers. They would do the Let's go Buffalo thing to get the crowd going plus their own drum line type of play. Their playing ability was awesome. They even played while the game was going on.

I liked it at first. I wanted to hear more and more but then it became a bit too much. Sometimes drumming over the game so you can't hear the players yelling and the puck hitting the stick kinda sucks. Kinda like a friend talking all through the game.

They worked for me. They were more entertaining than most of the games I saw last season. I agree with you though that during play is wrong. For years I have said they should be playing the organ way more than they do. I often wonder why game to game the volume of the music can be drastically different. I guess they think they can create atmosphere by simply way over cranking some games.

They worked for me. They were more entertaining than most of the games I saw last season. I agree with you though that during play is wrong. For years I have said they should be playing the organ way more than they do. I often wonder why game to game the volume of the music can be drastically different. I guess they think they can create atmosphere by simply way over cranking some games.

It's not just the variations in volume, it's also the inconsistencies in music selections.

I've heard 10 seconds of Notorious BIG start playing, with a sudden transition into Sweet Home Alabama for no explicable reason.

Anyone remember how loud it was when Derek Plante scored in the Marena?

I wasn't there, nor was I there for Game 4 of the 1999 SCF, but I was there for Game 6 of the 1999 ECF. And that was bonkers - like, "I'm so happy, Ow Ow Ow, my ears hurt" bonkers.

That said, I've watched fan footage of both goals (the Plante goal and the Briere goal) and I agree that it was a different (rowdier, more emotional in every section) scene in 1997. The reasons for that, I think, are fairly obvious and have been discussed to death elsewhere.

EDIT: That said, this is good stuff right here. I was in there somewhere.

Archived