CONFIRMED BREAKING new Third Jerseys!

Hoss

I know that it's considered poor jersey etiquette, but I'm a proponent of the blank jersey. I only wear mine a couple times a year and I wouldn't want to be wearing a Sekera Sabres jersey to a Canes game for example. If it was easy to get a Perreault or Martin jersey I would go that route I suppose.

You could definitely get a vintage style Gil or Rick jersey. Or a new one done up. A lot of people do it. But I like the blank jersey. It's a nice way of showing allegiance without the risk of picking a crappy player.

Myself, I tend to buy player jerseys after they've left the team. I like to develop an appreciation for a player over time rather than jumping on the newest fan favorite. I've hunted down my Shields goat head and a Doug Gilmore goat. I bought a Numminen jersey after he retired. I hope to have a Drury goat some day as well as an Adam Mair.

I hope some of these new kids will be the players that make me break from my habit and jump on a bandwagon.

I know that it's considered poor jersey etiquette, but I'm a proponent of the blank jersey. I only wear mine a couple times a year and I wouldn't want to be wearing a Sekera Sabres jersey to a Canes game for example. If it was easy to get a Perreault or Martin jersey I would go that route I suppose.

Is there any reason this is considered poor etiquette? At the end of the day any long-term fan is just rooting for laundry anyway.

Most of the jerseys I own are blank. I think blank jerseys are always a solid choice.

Jerseys from retired players are a great choice too.

Is there any reason this is considered poor etiquette? At the end of the day any long-term fan is just rooting for laundry anyway.

Agreed and I don't know why its considered that, I've just heard it said in the past. Its probably not considered as bad form as putting your own name on the jersey though.

I am a blank jersey or historical jersey guy. I own 3, a blank original Sabres sweater, a Mike Ramsey sweater, and a goat head LaFontaine. If I were to get another it would probably be a Mike Foligno or Playfair.

A jersey is a jersey to me. It doesn't make you any less of a fan if you bought a jersey of a player who got traded/left -- you bought the jersey for a reason, right? I purchased a Connolly jersey in the middle of his free fall to obscurity, and though I briefly considered getting it changed to a Hodgson, I ultimately left it TC. He was still one of my favorites. I also have an Afinogenov, Ennis, and Grigorenko. Max was probably my favorite Sabre after Hasek left, I have no problem commemorating that. Admittedly I kind of jumped the gun on the Ennis jersey because I really wanted a 40th anniversary jersey and he was the only name that made sense to me at the time (now there's a handful of guys I'd have gotten instead) but oh well, I still like him too. The Grigorenko one was free and I have high hopes for him, so why not? Above all, I buy the jerseys as a Sabres fan, but it's nice to have a little token to the players I love(d) to watch, too.

I certainly understand the logic behind getting a blank jersey. I just prefer getting names, even if it does put kind of a "life span" on it.

Go with a Sabretooth jersey, with the pawprint as the number.

I did that once.

I ended up in the hospital after being mauled by dozens of women who couldn't resist the combination of my rugged good looks and an authentic Sabretooth Sabres jersey.

If. IF. The jerseys is cool. Who do you get?

Wait, have you seen it yet? Or is it still under wraps for people who work there?

Agreed and I don't know why its considered that, I've just heard it said in the past. Its probably not considered as bad form as putting your own name on the jersey though.

That's why I'm going to get a John Scott jersey this year, I won't feel bad having my first name on the back. :P

I don't mind getting jerseys of players that have left. Kinda shows that you've been a fan for a while, too.

As for me, I've only been a diehard hockey fan for just a few years. I don't know how "right" I'd feel wearing a jersey of any of our historical players.

If I got a jersey, I'd go with Vanek or Ehrhoff. The number on the back is important too. Ugly numbers are the worst. Would never wear a jersey with the number, I dunno, 67 let's say.

I don't mind getting jerseys of players that have left. Kinda shows that you've been a fan for a while, too.

As for me, I've only been a diehard hockey fan for just a few years. I don't know how "right" I'd feel wearing a jersey of any of our historical players.

If I got a jersey, I'd go with Vanek or Ehrhoff. The number on the back is important too. Ugly numbers are the worst. Would never wear a jersey with the number, I dunno, 67 let's say.

You could go with a #65 jersey, worn by Mark Napier when he was a Sabre. He wore it as a tribute to (and to direct attention to) the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Many young victims of the disease couldn't pronounce "cystic fibrosis" and instead said "sixty-five roses". If anyone were looking for a meaningful vintage jersey/number combo, this would be a nice one to have. Obviously, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is still around and I'm sure they could use the publicity. (It'd be nice if you sent them a check, too ;) ).

You could go with a #65 jersey, worn by Mark Napier when he was a Sabre. He wore it as a tribute to (and to direct attention to) the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Many young victims of the disease couldn't pronounce "cystic fibrosis" and instead said "sixty-five roses". If anyone were looking for a meaningful vintage jersey/number combo, this would be a nice one to have. Obviously, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is still around and I'm sure they could use the publicity. (It'd be nice if you sent them a check, too ;) ).

Wow, very cool story. If someone did want to help out the cause, I bet a #65 "Roses" jersey would get a lot of questions that could turn into opportunities to spread awareness.

That's ###### awesome.

This is a great idea. I knew the Napier story but had forgotten about it. One of my son's friends is a sweet little girl afflicted with CF.

I wonder how many other number stories like that one are out there. I know Matt Gilroy of the Rangers (or where ever he is now) wears 97 in honor of his younger brother who died years back. They all wanted to wear 99 growing up, but oldest brother Matt got it. Brother #2 took 98, so brother #3 got 97.

Well, then there's the story of why I always wanted to wear the number 31 on my Sabres' jerseys. In the early years of the franchise, you had Roger Crozier, ostensibly the team's number one goalie who wore (naturally) the number 1. Then, you had the "backup" goalie, Dave Dryden (yes, Ken's brother) who wore number 30. (the backup goalie was a fairly recent addition to an NHL team in the sixties, so they generally got the highest number, generally "30"). Well, as I played goal, I often thought I was as good as the number one goalie and the backup put together, so I picked 31. (So much for youthful hubris). My choice backfired a bit with the Al Smith incident in 1977.

Gerry Desjardins was the team's number one goalie in 1977 and was backed up by Al Smith, more or less a journeyman tender. Desjardins was injured in February, 1977 and Smith assumed he would replace Gerry in the next game as the starting goalie. Punch Imlach called up Don Edwards, but instead of him being the backup, Imlach ordered coach Floyd Smith to start Edwards instead of Smith. This pretty much ticked off Smith, who after the National Anthem, skated over to where Punch was sitting, saluted him and skated off the ice never to be seen in a Sabre uniform again.

So, the number 31 on a Sabre jersey kind of acted as a reminder of this less-than-memorable episode.

Actually, the number 31 was also worn by Darren Puppa who had a bit of a goaltending competition going with Tom Barasso. Barasso at some point put the letters "AW" on the back of his mask/helmet, indicating he was "All World". Puppa, not to be outdone, put the letters "AU" on the back of his announcing that he was "All Universe". Of course, Barasso went on to play for the Penguins and win successive Stanley Cups. Puppa went to Tampa via the expansion draft. Another #31 to not remember.

Yeah, I know way too much non-important Sabres' trivia. Most of my co-workers say I am full of it.... :blink:

I wonder how many other number stories like that one are out there. I know Matt Gilroy of the Rangers (or where ever he is now) wears 97 in honor of his younger brother who died years back. They all wanted to wear 99 growing up, but oldest brother Matt got it. Brother #2 took 98, so brother #3 got 97.

Different sport, but Jason Collins (the first active male in a major professional league to come out as gay) wore number 98 as a tribute to Matthew Sheppard. Sheppard was a student at Wyoming who was kidnapped and tied to a fence to be lashed and tortured. They left him for dead and he was eventually found, but he died a couple days after they found him. One of the most brutal hate crimes this country has seen in a very long time.

I really like #2 actually. Seems pretty good and the only issue is I really think there is a white stripe down the side starting in the armpit and going all the way to the bottom.

You are right, #1 is bad... just no please god, no.

Archived