CONFIRMED BREAKING new Third Jerseys!

Hoss

That's really annoying.

i had high hopes for the guy they hired away from ... was it huff po? ... to run their social media content. high hopes not just for him, but the latitude that his supervisors would give him (and in fact impress upon him).

thus far, though, his tone and content via the social media outlets are just *meh*. a lot of familiar tropes, a lot of familiar approaches, a lot of bland content.

like i said elsewhere, i was hoping for something trending toward the l.a. kings' approach -- not something that comes off as if it's being created by a dutiful, earnest, and conscientious intern.

Didn't feel like starting a new thread, but this is jersey related. With all of the backlash about the Buffaslug in 2006, I don't remember seeing reference to this Bills' nearly-used (in 2002) secondary logo:

fa2ed86heghaczg9phhfigavw.gif

Uniform examples:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/73371-unused-sports-uniforms/page__st__80?do=findComment&comment=1344582

Recolored for Sabres:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/73371-unused-sports-uniforms/page__st__100?do=findComment&comment=1350271

Sounds like it was cut due to initial fan backlash. If only the Sabres had listened to their fans.

i had high hopes for the guy they hired away from ... was it huff po? ... to run their social media content. high hopes not just for him, but the latitude that his supervisors would give him (and in fact impress upon him).

thus far, though, his tone and content via the social media outlets are just *meh*. a lot of familiar tropes, a lot of familiar approaches, a lot of bland content.

like i said elsewhere, i was hoping for something trending toward the l.a. kings' approach -- not something that comes off as if it's being created by a dutiful, earnest, and conscientious intern.

Any thought of contacting him directly with your take?

Any thought of contacting him directly with your take?

i might yet.

my hesitation: i think whoever did the hiring is the one who (the group that) made the mistake. my bet is that this guy is what he is -- technically proficient, competent, dutiful, etc. in hiring someone to the position, i infer that the team didn't sufficiently value creativity and, well, a bit of zaniness. i think they more just wanted someone to carry the franchise's brand banner in a faithful fashion.

:yawn:

Jesus, dodged that bullet. That's pretty fugly. "I got an idea, the franchise is red, white, and blue.... NEEDS MORE GRAY."

I just can't believe how much the slug steals from that. I hope it was unintentional, but it is really close. Why would you take a logo that was rejected from another team and make it even uglier?

I just don't understand how some of these designs get beyond the initial screening process.

Well.. look at the crap that Hollywood puts out or the TV shows on TV. Look at the musical abilities that get promoted into superstars or the commercials that make it on TV.

Sometimes I think how horrible that commercial I just watched was... and then I think how would I feel if my commercial idea was rejected for that? That's got to feel pretty low.

Didn't feel like starting a new thread, but this is jersey related. With all of the backlash about the Buffaslug in 2006, I don't remember seeing reference to this Bills' nearly-used (in 2002) secondary logo:

Uniform examples:

http://boards.sports...80#entry1344582

Recolored for Sabres:

http://boards.sports...00#entry1350271

Sounds like it was cut due to initial fan backlash. If only the Sabres had listened to their fans.

I'm not sure how we're supposed to believe that this wasn't just something a random fan mocked up.

I'm not sure how we're supposed to believe that this wasn't just something a random fan mocked up.

Possible, but most fans don't have actual patches made and sewn onto both home and away uniforms, or have hats custom embroidered with a special textured version. I enjoy designing logos and jerseys as much as the next guy, and I might even have one mocked up some day, but I doubt I'd go as far as this hypothetical fan would have had to have gone, especially for a secondary logo.

I found this mockup on another website and it looks pretty good to me for the gold front/blue back concept.

Maybe the entire back isn't blue but just the top portion of the back of the sleeve. So the blue is over the shoulders and then down the back half of the sleeve.

The Bills themselves trademarked it. It was on the local news in 2001 or 2002. They were showing it to people on the streets in Buffalo and asking them what they thought. No one liked it all that much and the Bills never ended up using it.

Jesus, dodged that bullet. That's pretty fugly. "I got an idea, the franchise is red, white, and blue.... NEEDS MORE GRAY."

The Bills DID add gray, though. The 2002 re-design switched to navy blue (sucks) and added some gray (I think they called it "nickel" at the time, as in "Nickel City") trim, which the team said tied into their original uniforms (which were exactly like Detroit's, since that's where Ralph Wilson is from).

They basically did every lame, trendy thing they could in 2002 and ended up looking horrible for a decade. (Then the Sabres hopped on the navy blue bandwagon in 2006 and have had a sucky blue as part of their color scheme ever since.)

Is it possible that the front is yellow, and backs are grey?

I haven't reviewed enough pix...

I think it's possible, but I highly doubt it. (Based off opinion and not off of anything we've seen).

I found this mockup on another website and it looks pretty good to me for the gold front/blue back concept.

Well it looks good because they're separate. Two separate jerseys, that's not bad. But when you actually watch a team that has a two-tone like that, it's confusing and makes you vomit profusely.

If it looked anything like that, it'd look like every player on the Sabres was wearing a blue cape. Which would be strange because there isn't much "Super" going on around here.

i might yet.

my hesitation: i think whoever did the hiring is the one who (the group that) made the mistake. my bet is that this guy is what he is -- technically proficient, competent, dutiful, etc. in hiring someone to the position, i infer that the team didn't sufficiently value creativity and, well, a bit of zaniness. i think they more just wanted someone to carry the franchise's brand banner in a faithful fashion.

:yawn:

For the record, he did an "ama" on Reddit. It's literally just a Q&A thing. He seems like a really cool guy who is open to MANY things. But he seems like he's more into executing social media as a means to promote a brand instead of using it to be social. He did say he plans on getting more contests in, though, so that will be nice.

I think it's possible, but I highly doubt it. (Based off opinion and not off of anything we've seen).

Well it looks good because they're separate. Two separate jerseys, that's not bad. But when you actually watch a team that has a two-tone like that, it's confusing and makes you vomit profusely.

If it looked anything like that, it'd look like every player on the Sabres was wearing a blue cape. Which would be strange because there isn't much "Super" going on around here.

For the record, he did an "ama" on Reddit. It's literally just a Q&A thing. He seems like a really cool guy who is open to MANY things. But he seems like he's more into executing social media as a means to promote a brand instead of using it to be social. He did say he plans on getting more contests in, though, so that will be nice.

Agree with the two sided uni. One team going up ice another team going back? :blink:

Media dude is alright. He's got skillz.

Archived