Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

So at OU we have 3 qualifying exams that you need to pass at a PhD level to continue in the program - I had "passed" (it's really an official "fail") my Quantum qualifier at a master's level in January on my "free attempt." I took my first "official" attempts at Quantum and Classical/Stat Mech last week and passed them both at a PhD level, which just leaves Electricity&Magnetism, two attempts if I need them - as many students are faced with second/final attempts of multiple exams at the same time, I am tremendously glad to not have to be in that stressful situation. 

This is something that was impossible to imagine this time last year. I really didn't believe in myself, deep down inside. I spent hundreds of hours this summer preparing to make it happen and it's probably the most noteworthy thing I've ever accomplished in my life, so I feel preeeeeeeeeeeeetty damn good. I've never hit something so impossible at one point, and worked so hard to achieve something. Especially when I wasn't sure if my large intestine was going to let me stick around just two months into the whole thing.

I don't mean to sound braggy or anything, I'm just jazzed up because this is the best thing academically/professionally to ever happen to me

Congrats! For the record, you don’t sound braggy. And even if you did, this is something worth bragging about. My wife is <2 months out from her PhD candidacy, so I can truly appreciate the insane amount of preparation that goes into this sort of thing. 

My wife hardly breaks to speak to me, let alone strangers on the internet ? So thanks for still contributing during those long, tedious study hours lol

49 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

So at OU we have 3 qualifying exams that you need to pass at a PhD level to continue in the program - I had "passed" (it's really an official "fail") my Quantum qualifier at a master's level in January on my "free attempt." I took my first "official" attempts at Quantum and Classical/Stat Mech last week and passed them both at a PhD level, which just leaves Electricity&Magnetism, two attempts if I need them - as many students are faced with second/final attempts of multiple exams at the same time, I am tremendously glad to not have to be in that stressful situation. 

This is something that was impossible to imagine this time last year. I really didn't believe in myself, deep down inside. I spent hundreds of hours this summer preparing to make it happen and it's probably the most noteworthy thing I've ever accomplished in my life, so I feel preeeeeeeeeeeeetty damn good. I've never hit something so impossible at one point, and worked so hard to achieve something. Especially when I wasn't sure if my large intestine was going to let me stick around just two months into the whole thing.

I don't mean to sound braggy or anything, I'm just jazzed up because this is the best thing academically/professionally to ever happen to me

Let's all keep in mind that Flagg had to do this in Oklahoman rather than English, so it was even harder as an OSL student.

34 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

i just did a Queen EEEHHHOOOO randomly into my yard and a neighbor 3 doors down responded.  It went for a few minutes. I teared up. 

This might be translated into English as well for the benefit of the rest of us.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Let's all keep in mind that Flagg had to do this in Oklahoman rather than English, so it was even harder as an OSL student.

This might be translated into English as well for the benefit of the rest of us.

3 hours ago, spndnchz said:

i just did a Queen EEEHHHOOOO randomly into my yard and a neighbor 3 doors down responded.  It went for a few minutes. I teared up. 

That is awesome.

15 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

You put the what in the who, when?

You know what... brag all you want.  This is amazing stuff.  When you invest everything into something and are filled with doubts it makes it all that much more amazing when you come out on the other side not only successful, but ahead of where you thought you could even be.  If that's not something you can brag about I don't know what is...

Well done sir.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to raise $400 for my old horse rescue on one of those Facebook fundraiser things. I'm matching up to $400, so that's 800 for the rescue! I didn't think it would go so well- It still has a week left. Thinking I might try to raise it for $200 more to make an even 1k. The rescue just got inundated- 1 kill pen rescue, 3 seriously underweight/neglected seizures from a farm in Victor, an expensively sick rescue, and a full roster besides that. Really touched how many people reached out on ye olde facebooks. 

5 hours ago, josie said:

Managed to raise $400 for my old horse rescue on one of those Facebook fundraiser things. I'm matching up to $400, so that's 800 for the rescue! I didn't think it would go so well- It still has a week left. Thinking I might try to raise it for $200 more to make an even 1k. The rescue just got inundated- 1 kill pen rescue, 3 seriously underweight/neglected seizures from a farm in Victor, an expensively sick rescue, and a full roster besides that. Really touched how many people reached out on ye olde facebooks. 

Damn.. Victor is in my backyard.. didn't see anything on the news.  Bastards...

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Damn.. Victor is in my backyard.. didn't see anything on the news.  Bastards...

Yeah, here's an article about it. Warning, pic is of some mighty skinny horses. 2 of them are part Freisian, which is a big breed. https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/local-news/two-arrested-three-horses-removed-in-victor-animal-cruelty-case/1409786802

On 8/23/2018 at 7:58 PM, Randall Flagg said:

You are a man of some capacity.  Keep sharing.  I believe that’s why you were put here.  You’re already making impressions.  You will leave a legacy.

Now, on to me.  I came here to announce that I turned a canoe into a jet ski.  Today’s mail brought me 4GB of RAM.  My eight year old Apple desktop is now an eight gig machine.  YouTube, $67 worth of memory and tools, and 15 minutes of my time allowed the accomplishment.  This was no small feat for me.  I feel like the ape in 2001: A Space Odyssey who picked up a bone and smashed a skull.  I am relevant, still, and have a future.

It’s not quite a PhD, but it is one of those small victories that fuel me for the next struggle.  My grandmother raised me.  She was orphaned during the depression.  The greatest generation, and all that.  She’d know exactly how I feel.

Edited by Neo

23 minutes ago, Neo said:

You are a man of some capacity.  Keep sharing.  I believe that’s why you were put here.  You’re already making impressions.  You will leave a legacy.

Now, on to me.  I came here to announce that I turned a canoe into a jet ski.  Today’s mail brought me 4GB of RAM.  My eight year old Apple desktop is now an eight gig machine.  YouTube, $67 worth of memory and tools, and 15 minutes of my time allowed the accomplishment.  This was no small feat for me.  I feel like the ape in 2001: A Space Odyssey who picked up a bone and smashed a skull.  I am relevant, still, and have a future.

It’s not quite a PhD, but it is one of those small victories that fuel me for the next struggle.  My grandmother raised me.  She was orphaned during the depression.  The greatest generation, and all that.  She’d know exactly how I feel.

Nicely done sir!

I changed a keyboard on a laptop once and felt pretty pleased with myself, but your accomplishment is one a whole 'nutha level.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:58 PM, Randall Flagg said:

This is why I should never let myself be forced into a break from here.  I miss too much great things like this.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:13 PM, spndnchz said:

And while not quite on the same level as Randall's news, but Freddie and I salute you ...

Well I became Medicare eligible the past couple of days ago. I was debating whether I should put this in the Complaint Thursday thread or here. Well the countdown to retirement continues. 

363 Days on the wall, 363 daysssss, If one of those days would happen to fall, 362 days on the wall........ you know the rest.

• 1 month later...

Just wrapped up an outstanding weekend.  Many of my friends were out of town for my birthday a few weeks back, so I basically told them no biggy and to prepare themselves for the Sabres' road trip.

Went to see Gwar with a friend on Thursday, great act and good openers, got completely soaked with fake blood.  Awesome time riding the Metro back home looking like we both died eight ways.

Played hockey on Friday, won our first playoff game with a solid team effort to a 5-3 final.

Saturday went to Sabres@Kings with three friends, one of whom is getting heart surgery next week.  We sat on the glass behind the Sabres bench, got some great photos.  My one buddy is a Wild fan, so he had his Wild shirt on under a Sabres jersey.  When Pommer came back to the bench, my buddy lifted up his jersey and pressed his Wild shirt against the glass and screamed "POMMMMER", which made Poms crack up laughing.  Scanny hosed Bogosian with the water bottle when he came back to the bench after scoring, and then George Babcock towel-snapped him in the ear with the gatorade towel.  Hilarious.  We cheers'ed Patrik Berglund through the glass (beers and his water bottle) after he cranked out a tough shift.  Skinner (who's f-ing tiny, btw) sat at the end of the bench and wore a very focused, serious face throughout the whole game, until after he finished his hatty and Rodrigues basically made fun of him for being too serious until he cheers'ed us through the glass too.  When the final horn sounded, I cheered and bounced myself off the glass, which gave Okposo a big shiteating grin.

Ate decent wings (two whole plates of all drummies by chance) postgame.  Celebrated the road win at a strip club, which is out of character for us, but had a great time.

Sunday had football brunch with bottomless mimosas, watched the Bills win scorigami 37-5.  Went to Sabres@Ducks with 12 friends and sat in the cheaper seats.  Had a great time.  Celebrated the road win at another strip club, had another great time, we showed the girls in our party the art of polite tipping at the stage, they had a blast.

Professional-level ***** around all weekend.  Everybody had fun and nobody died.

• Like (+1) 3