Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Any fish tank owners here?

Back in the day I was into cichlids.  Had a native tank for a while too.  But that was 20 years ago.  Fatherhood came along and all that went away.

We raised finches and canaries for a bit.  Wife is talking about getting a flock of finches again maybe this Winter.

21 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

For what kind of fish?

Very small ones. ?

just an initial curiosity look.  Really limited in what you can keep in very small tanks.  Very small, docile fish and shrimp.  A crustacean tank could be interesting.

4 minutes ago, N S said:

Oh, man.  Samson that takes me back.

Is Dubrovnik still as overrun with cruise ships as it was earlier this summer?  The natives we know there were actually complaining that there was no room for them.

We were the only one today. I did hear that they started timing them so they only have one in port at a time

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Very small ones. ?

just an initial curiosity look.  Really limited in what you can keep in very small tanks.  Very small, docile fish and shrimp.  A crustacean tank could be interesting.

If you can afford it, go with a larger tank. The bigger you go the easier it is to maintain. 

6 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

If you can afford it, go with a larger tank. The bigger you go the easier it is to maintain. 

Very aware of how unstable small aquariums can be.  Not really looking at a bigger aquarium.  If I do it at all, it’ll be something that can fit on a small table or countertop.  

Chances are, I’ll get the stink eye at the idea.  But my curiosity is up anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

Sorry been busy

No worries; it's a bummer the Thursday and Friday threads can't be set to automatically lock and unlock so you guys don't have to do it every week! Thanks for all you do to keep this place running. ?

41 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

75 gallon peacock cichlid tank, dart frog tank and some carnivorous plants.  My wife hates them all.

I want carnivorous plants. Some pitcher plants would be great. Love all those things. We just have no room in this apartment for them- dark's parents are babysitting some my jungle of succulents and hardy flowers in their home through the winter... he puts up with my plants. I'm lucky. 

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

I now have a small tank starting to cycle.  Going for a crustacean tank.  Once everything stabilizes I'll get a few shrimp to populate it. 

No stink eye.....yet.

Freshwater?  Crazy shrimp species available online.  Some are ridiculously  expensive.  Couldn't fathom spending a lot on something with such a short lifespan if there's no successful spawning.    

10 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Freshwater?  Crazy shrimp species available online.  Some are ridiculously  expensive.  Couldn't fathom spending a lot on something with such a short lifespan if there's no successful spawning.    

Fresh, and they’re inexpensive. 

I’m basically mimicking an office desk tank.

of course, this is how you end up chest deep into a hobby again.

19 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

It is indeed.  You'll have a "fish room" in three years.  

Before children came along we had 3 aquariums.  We’re practically empty nesters now.  We used to raise finches and canaries too.  We’re probably buying a flight cage this Winter.  

And our dog doesn’t have much time left so we’re probably compensating more than a little.....

23 hours ago, josie said:

I want carnivorous plants. Some pitcher plants would be great. Love all those things. We just have no room in this apartment for them- dark's parents are babysitting some my jungle of succulents and hardy flowers in their home through the winter... he puts up with my plants. I'm lucky. 

The tropical pitchers (Nepenthes) are really cool.  Cephalotus are my favorite.   Unfortunately the plants have been relegated to the basement storage room by the wife.

• Sad 1