Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

41 minutes ago, N S said:

I like it.  I like it a lot, but I understaand your feelings on the Star of David.  The Star of David is more political then Religious, IMO.

Oh, I don't really have any qualms on the symbol/concept itself, my comment was about the stroke- it's the line thickness. The black triangle has a thick white line, the yellow triangle a thinner white line and a black thin line. Not sure what I would've done differently, but the narrow vs. thick irks me wee bit haha 

I think a Star of David is appropriate here, and the tragedy it concerns is both political and religious. 

---- 

kind of a side note to your political vs religious point- I used to wear a tiny Star of David necklace when I was younger (I discovered a lot of the missing branches on the family tree were Jews- some died in camps, others banished from the family, so my mother and I explored the culture/practiced what we could). Got yelled at a lot, not allowed in cathedrals while traveling, etc. Stopped. Now I often wear a little charm that's a mini version of Robert Indiana's AHAVA statue in Israel (1977). It was a gift. I feel mixed on it now. I like the message (Indiana did the stacked LOVE and HOPE sculptures- images attached of LOVE and AHAVA) of love and art... but there's a political bent to it that I didn't realize when I received it. Am I being insensitive to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict by wearing it? Am I making a statement that includes war? All I intended was a touch of peace/solidarity with the people of a faith that was written out of my family, often violently- and it felt more appropriate than the religion's main symbol, as I am not an observant Jew (or adhere to any religion). I don't want to be a grief tourist (which I would definitely say I was as a teenager). IDK. Like everything else, it's all so complicated and I don't want to offend.

02_021418_LOVESculpture_Carroll.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.jpg

ahava-sculpture-e1410663886532.jpg

Edited by josie

I was out and about this morning.  A few meetings and picking up something at a shop we like.

Listening to Queen ... Tie Your Mother Down ... and I had a bad craving as I was approaching the smoke shop that I always bought my smokes at.

I drove right on by.  30 seconds later, maybe not even, I was fine and the craving passed.

Pretty awesome, indeed, if I do say so myself.  A real test and I passed.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
the p is very close to the o ...
  • Like (+1) 4

18 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I was out and about this morning.  A few meetings and picking up something at a shop we like.

Listening to Queen ... Tie Your Mother Down ... and I had a bad craving as I was approaching the smoke shop that I always bought my smokes at.

I drove right on by.  30 seconds later, maybe not even, I was fine and the craving passed.

Pretty awesome, indeed, if I do say so myself.  A real test and I passed.

Quoting myself here.  Not a first ...

I wanted to thank all you guys and gals for your tremendous show of encouragement and support as I make my way through this transition.  You all have been really awesome.

One thing in particular saved me yesterday in that moment of weakenss and testing.

It was what SwampD said that helped him and that was to think of yourself as a non-smoker and not a former smoker.  For me that is a big difference, as he also said.

I remembered that as I was approaching the turn into that smoke shop parking.  I said ... 'NS, dude, you are a NON-SMOKER.  Why would you stop at a smoke shop.'  And I drove past.

Thanks to all of you, but for yesterday I especially salute SwampD.  Awesome, indeed.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Quoting myself here.  Not a first ...

I wanted to thank all you guys and gals for your tremendous show of encouragement and support as I make my way through this transition.  You all have been really awesome.

One thing in particular saved me yesterday in that moment of weakenss and testing.

It was what SwampD said that helped him and that was to think of yourself as a non-smoker and not a former smoker.  For me that is a big difference, as he also said.

I remembered that as I was approaching the turn into that smoke shop parking.  I said ... 'NS, dude, you are a NON-SMOKER.  Why would you stop at a smoke shop.'  And I drove past.

Thanks to all of you, but for yesterday I especially salute SwampD.  Awesome, indeed.

Awesome.

As Neo would say, grateful.

• Like (+1) 1

My dad's out of the hospital again and I think I managed to talk him out of flying out to work this week (feel like just being diagnosed with multiple pulmonary embolisms and having mystery ailments are not the sort of things you should be subjecting your body to high altitude with). Now I just need divine providence to convince him to go to Cleveland Clinic for some better doctors/tests. I'll even go visit him. I just need him to do it. Fingers crossed. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, josie said:

My dad's out of the hospital again and I think I managed to talk him out of flying out to work this week (feel like just being diagnosed with multiple pulmonary embolisms and having mystery ailments are not the sort of things you should be subjecting your body to high altitude with). Now I just need divine providence to convince him to go to Cleveland Clinic for some better doctors/tests. I'll even go visit him. I just need him to do it. Fingers crossed. 

That's good news that he is out.  I hope and pray for more good news.

22 minutes ago, josie said:

Hope the best for both You and your Dad. I know how frustrating it can be on family as well as the patient.

My mom passed away last year and I went to Phoenix just in time for her last breath. During my short stay I got to go with my dad to some Dr appointments and decided it best to stay there longer and help him through the grief (ended up staying almost 4 months). In the mean time my dad got sick with Ecoli, him and I were on our way to a Dr visit and were rear-ended at a stop light totaling his car and sending him to hospital, and while at hospital they found a cancerous mass on kidney.

Needless to say, we didn't get much accomplished as we had hoped to straighten things out around the house for him seeing how he hadn't been able to after taking care of my mom for the last 4yrs.

But just being there for him was a big relief for him and I.

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Hope the best for both You and your Dad. I know how frustrating it can be on family as well as the patient.

My mom passed away last year and I went to Phoenix just in time for her last breath. During my short stay I got to go with my dad to some Dr appointments and decided it best to stay there longer and help him through the grief (ended up staying almost 4 months). In the mean time my dad got sick with Ecoli, him and I were on our way to a Dr visit and were rear-ended at a stop light totaling his car and sending him to hospital, and while at hospital they found a cancerous mass on kidney.

Needless to say, we didn't get much accomplished as we had hoped to straighten things out around the house for him seeing how he hadn't been able to after taking care of my mom for the last 4yrs.

But just being there for him was a big relief for him and I.

Aw man that's so rough- murphy's law was in full effect. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

So good news- my dad did just get referred to Cleveland Clinic this morning. So now we just gotta get all the files sorted out and they find an opening and get this ball rolling. 

• Like (+1) 2

Work hard play hard, after a gauntlet of basically non stop work for a month, I get to embark on another trip to continue my goal of seeing the world, planning on 15 countries in 3 weeks.... Portugal, France, Monaco, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, lichtenstein, Germany, luxomberg, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Gibraltar, Andorra, Morocco. A lot of driving, some train, some plane, some by foot, packing only my kelty Redwing and haven't booked any lodging in advance. I bought tickets to neuwchwantsein castle and some stuff to travel to the matterhorn. Hopefully get to bring back some awesome memories ?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Work hard play hard, after a gauntlet of basically non stop work for a month, I get to embark on another trip to continue my goal of seeing the world, planning on 15 countries in 3 weeks.... Portugal, France, Monaco, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, lichtenstein, Germany, luxomberg, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Gibraltar, Andorra, Morocco. A lot of driving, some train, some plane, some by foot, packing only my kelty Redwing and haven't booked any lodging in advance. I bought tickets to neuwchwantsein castle and some stuff to travel to the matterhorn. Hopefully get to bring back some awesome memories ?

How rich are you???

26 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How rich are you???

Haha!

Being single makes you super rich! I remember way back when, when I was 19, 20, 21, 22 and I had a job that paid me just north of 30k, I could literally do anything! One year I spent 20k on just booze. Another year I went to like 40 concerts. I hit one almost every week all over the Northeast. I never thought to travel the world though. I'm pretty sure I missed out. But I'm also pretty sure I'd have wound up in a Singapore prison at some point.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

After having just taken 2 1/2 weeks in Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Greece and Malta I will say that your trip sounds ###### amazing. I have found that the second I got back to the states (well Canada first) I was already thinking about when I could go back to Europe for more. I think the next time we want to check out northern Europe (Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, etc.) so I would love to buy you a beer when we get back and swap travel stories. As a single guy traveling i'm sure yours will be far more interesting...

2 minutes ago, josie said:

Single, doctor, traveling light... pretty good combo. 

Well, least I have one of those things ?

Woody, that's really what I'm wondering I guess. How are you making money while you travel? Or/And, how do you have all of this vacation time?

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well, least I have one of those things ?

Woody, that's really what I'm wondering I guess. How are you making money while you travel? Or/And, how do you have all of this vacation time?

I don't want to speak for Woody, but the difference between ~7k posts and ~28k posts might help explain the free time discrepancy. ?