Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

32 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

The one my family always uses looks like a tennis racket

image.thumb.png.6067ac9ef33790a26d9c0cb3a3657660.png

I had no idea such a product existed.  It looks like there's a whole world of potential when it comes to non-bug zapping fun with that thing.  The possibilities are endless, especially if someone decides to modify it and up the voltage.

Those tennis racket things do work well for picnic level bug zapping. They'll kill yellow jackets readily.  But there is no way I would wade into an active yellow jacket nest armed only with that.  Way too close to the horde for effective defense.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I had no idea such a product existed.  It looks like there's a whole world of potential when it comes to non-bug zapping fun with that thing.  The possibilities are endless, especially if someone decides to modify it and up the voltage.

We mostly use it to swat family members and *gently* electrocute them.

Bug zapping is decidedly secondary.

49 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Oh no way, I wasn't swinging it.  Because it was a ground nest there was only one in and one out and I could block it.  I attached an extension and between that and my arm I was 7-8' away.  I went back after dark and napalmed the hole with expanding foam insecticide.

My goal is to be known as the worst war criminal in the yellow jacket universe.  The bastards stung me 12 times in an incident last fall, including on my hands and fingertips.  Total war was declared at that point.

Nice ?

So, yes, I am in a 3rd world country, pooping in holes, not eating much, overheated, and wayyyy out of my element, and I don't want to come home, this is awesome and these people here are simply amazing. The united states could take a lesson (sorry had to add that, just passionate) 

20180730_114713.jpg

20180801_103157.jpg

20180731_132841.jpg

20180730_130301.jpg

20180731_144407.jpg

20180801_155908.jpg

20180801_110840.jpg

• Like (+1) 8

3 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Oh no way, I wasn't swinging it.  Because it was a ground nest there was only one in and one out and I could block it.  I attached an extension and between that and my arm I was 7-8' away.  I went back after dark and napalmed the hole with expanding foam insecticide.

My goal is to be known as the worst war criminal in the yellow jacket universe.  The bastards stung me 12 times in an incident last fall, including on my hands and fingertips.  Total war was declared at that point.

See, now if you could figure out a way to boost the power, you could just slam that zapper into the ground Thor style and kill them all in cinematic fashion.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

There was serious consideration given to turning it into a stem project with my kids, air dropping some homemade fun into the hole via drone, and blowing a big hole in the yard but the wife gets upset when I teach the kids chemistry. ?

This reminds me of the giant circle of burned out grass we had in our yard growing up for years after my dad took gasoline to a bees nest and lit it.  Not really the best move, but it's nice when you have a constant reminder of your past errors.

I do have a trip to India in late February, but I think I leave after the meet up date, soooo you'll be stuck with me ?

Thanks all for the kind words, all the children say a great big thank you to you all!!! Really was quite the trip, I will be flying back home tonight. 

Meanwhile I will post this picture I took this morning waking up over the African savannah on safari. 

20180804_065038.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So I sprung for one of those fancy new mesh routers.  Easy, 10-minute setup, and my wifi at home is now about a zillion times better than it was yesterday.  Highly recommended.

What brand/model did you get?

1 minute ago, LTS said:

What brand/model did you get?

Netgear Orbi RBK50 with 1 satellite (i.e. there is a router unit plus one additional "satellite" unit that communicates with the router and the 2 units together create the mesh network).  You can buy additional satellites if you have a really big house/yard, but so far it looks like I just need these 2.

Yeah.  The standard is about 4500 sq. ft. with three.

I see that the Orbi you got is AC3000, that's good future proofing.  Netgear has had some security issues over the past couple of years that makes me question if I want to use them.

Edited by LTS
squaring the feet.

This one has a corresponding complaint that will have to wait for next week since I missed it yesterday, but my neurotic martyr co-worker up and quit on Monday. The's way too much work to be done, but honestly she wasn't pulling her weight anyhow, and losing the constant drama that she brought will be worth any increase in workload. Addition by subtraction.

• Like (+1) 1