Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I’d seen clips of this man’s encounter before but never the entire saga. The turtle chapter was fun. The best part was the self defeated head shake at the end, before he mustered the courage to get up and flee, the cops. It’s obvious the worker was on the phone with them.

This doesn’t make him a bad person atoll. This IS awesome. I’ve been in very similar shoes once or twice.

This exactly how I ended up camped out in the forbidden dunes at the beach. Not my fault atoll.

I see that guy a few times a day at work.  Not that actual guy but you get it.  

It's not very awesome.  Alcohol is by far the worst drug out there in terms of the damage it does to people, families, and communities.  The sheer cost in lives and livelihoods, costs to all of us in terms of damage to property and the strain it puts on the criminal justice system dwarfs the rest of the drug problem, but we have chosen not to look at it that way.  

I say this as a guy who has been known to have the occasional drink or twelve.  I don't want prohibition.  But we need to have a look at how we address the issue.  

I see that guy a few times a day at work. Not that actual guy but you get it.

It's not very awesome. Alcohol is by far the worst drug out there in terms of the damage it does to people, families, and communities. The sheer cost in lives and livelihoods, costs to all of us in terms of damage to property and the strain it puts on the criminal justice system dwarfs the rest of the drug problem, but we have chosen not to look at it that way.

I say this as a guy who has been known to have the occasional drink or twelve. I don't want prohibition. But we need to have a look at how we address the issue.

It's advertised as the coolest thing you could ever possibly do with your down time. (Says the guy who's know to be day drunk in a dark bar, filled with cigarette smoke and a bunch of Vietnam vets at 11:30 in the morning, watching The Price is Right.)

It's advertised as the coolest thing you could ever possibly do with your down time. (Says the guy who's know to be day drunk in a dark bar, filled with cigarette smoke and a bunch of Vietnam vets at 11:30 in the morning, watching The Price is Right.)

Did they play plinko?

I see that guy a few times a day at work.  Not that actual guy but you get it.  

It's not very awesome.  Alcohol is by far the worst drug out there in terms of the damage it does to people, families, and communities.  The sheer cost in lives and livelihoods, costs to all of us in terms of damage to property and the strain it puts on the criminal justice system dwarfs the rest of the drug problem, but we have chosen not to look at it that way.  

I say this as a guy who has been known to have the occasional drink or twelve.  I don't want prohibition.  But we need to have a look at how we address the issue.  

Hear, hear. Our police chief said a few years ago the common denominator in almost all of the violent crime in our small town is alcohol. People think it's illicit drugs.

Binge drinking is up among adults. What the hell. Time to grow up. (Pain killers too, of course. And the suicide rate.)

Exactly what is it about modern American life that is so awful that people need to escape in such ways, sometimes permanently?

Hear, hear. Our police chief said a few years ago the common denominator in almost all of the violent crime in our small town is alcohol. People think it's illicit drugs.

Binge drinking is up among adults. What the hell. Time to grow up. (Pain killers too, of course. And the suicide rate.)

Exactly what is it about modern American life that is so awful that people need to escape in such ways, sometimes permanently?

Drinking culture is a huge part of it. I went from CNY, to Buffalo, to NE Pennsylvania, and all three areas drink their faces off. Friends and I went out to visit a buddy in San Francisco, those people really didn't 'get us'. Been to Ohio numerous times, they think we drink to excess as well. Central Florida was wondering why we weren't doing meth, and Chicago doesn't think we have a drinking problem.

I really think most of it is what you grew up around. Waking up and riding out to the Bills game with your buddies? Shower beer is definitely the way to start the day. Monday holiday? Trashed, obviously. Everyone else is doing it. Why shouldn't I? (Strangely enough, I've never seen my mother have more than a glass of wine, and the only time I've seen my father drunk was my doing.)

The pill epidemic is just sad. I'm thankful that I don't have any friends who have OD'd from that . But I definitely have acquaintances that have what I think is a problem.

I've learned that people suck everywhere, but the addiction to pills (opiates) especially is out of hand

You can thank CMS/govt/medicaid for that.

Ultimatley the govt forced docs to hand them out like candy, and now they can't backtrack enough.

As for alcohol, all the time I travel, one question I almost always get asked is if I got hammered in said country I'm traveling to. I'm not a big drinker and when I tie on one, it's usually somewhere cool or for a very special occasion, when I travel I want to see and do things, not come home and not remember where I was.

I've learned that people suck everywhere, but the addiction to pills (opiates) especially is out of hand

You can thank CMS/govt/medicaid for that.

Ultimatley the govt forced docs to hand them out like candy, and now they can't backtrack enough.

As for alcohol, all the time I travel, one question I almost always get asked is if I got hammered in said country I'm traveling to. I'm not a big drinker and when I tie on one, it's usually somewhere cool or for a very special occasion, when I travel I want to see and do things, not come home and not remember where I was.

Funny, we had some friends that were baffled we didn’t go to an all-inclusive resort for our honeymoon. They couldn’t understand how we could want anything other than a beach chair to day drink from.

We went zip lining over a coastal fruit farm, scuba diving with sea turtles, hiking up and down mountains and volcanos, snorkeling over a coral reef...

I had a beer here or there. And a mai tai of course. But we were very much adventurous. My wife isn’t a big drinker. I love a good couple beers at a brewery with an appetizer maybe. But we spent our time and money on food and adventures in Hawaii. And it was awesom!

All one year ago too.. tomorrow is my first anniversary :)

Funny, we had some friends that were baffled we didn’t go to an all-inclusive resort for our honeymoon. They couldn’t understand how we could want anything other than a beach chair to day drink from.

We went zip lining over a coastal fruit farm, scuba diving with sea turtles, hiking up and down mountains and volcanos, snorkeling over a coral reef...

I had a beer here or there. And a mai tai of course. But we were very much adventurous. My wife isn’t a big drinker. I love a good couple beers at a brewery with an appetizer maybe. But we spent our time and money on food and adventures in Hawaii. And it was awesom!

Sounds pretty darn good to me.

You figured out the camera! Yay!

Either SS updated or my phone did, because I'm not doing anything different

Happy anniversary!

Sounds pretty darn good to me.

Love it. My wife and with our teo boys just got back from a 3 week trip across the northern part of the US. We drove and camped in a converted haul tailer. Pics too big to post from Iphone. We went to Niiagra Falls Maid of the Mist, Detroit and saw the Hiedelberg project... met the artist, camped up near Mackinaw Island, across southen lake Superior, Kayaking in caves along the Madeleine Islands, stopped at some beaches and drove thru Superior/Duluth... interesting old iron mill town. Stayed a night with my cousin a graphic design artist in St Paul. Roller Coastered in the Mall of Americas... Checked out Vikings new stadium... its awesome. Then on thru Fargo to Meduro ND where Teddy Roosevelt hunted and saw lots of Buffalo. Headed thru Montana... Billings MT is hole oil and gas town, but Boseman MT a college town is cool, lots of coffee barns! Headed up to Glacier National park alongside Emerald lake and camped in Algar at base of park along Lake MacDonald. Rode our bikes along flathead river on the highway to the Sun. Snow drifts right down to the road! From there it kept getting better, but gotta pic up dinner.

I met this native American chief from North Dakota on the train, we chatted for hours, exchanged info and I'm planning on going out to visit, he is going to show me the ceremonies,they still trap hunt and etc..... Conversely, he wants me to show him the Seneca territory and come to visit here, before we parted he gave me an arrowhead he had made, very cool. post-2594-0-84880000-1528671617_thumb.jpg