Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

We live here.  He's skated on their ice.  All his friends are Flyer fans.  Why fight it?  It's futile.  I took away all my kids Bills stuff 2 years ago and gave them Eagles stuff.  Eagles immediately won the Super Bowl.

Because it's your sworn duty as a Sabres fan. You might lose the war, but it's one that must be fought!

We bought my sister one this year. Because one of the only things she likes is the Sabres, and the reason she likes them is ROR. I can't wait to watch Vlad Sobotka with her.

Yeah. That's gonna suck.

How hard would it be to turn the "90" into a "26?" ;)

I've lived in Philadelphia longer than I lived in Buffalo at this point.  My wife is from here, my kids were born here and God forbid their teams win sometimes.  I'm just about done.  Not kidding about the Bills either.  2 years ago after the Jets night game debacle I packed up every single piece of Bills stuff I had and put it in Goodwill the next day and never looked back.  Don't care what they do, only watch parts of games when I'm at my parents house on Sundays. Last thing I have a is a big red bar that I painted a logo on (well I might add) in my basement that I put into storage so I don't have to look at it.  I've been too lazy to get someone to help me bring it into the back yard so I can douse it in gasoline and set it on fire.  So anybody who wants it in the greater Philly area come get it out of my basement and it's yours.  I can PM you pictures of it.

I don't know what snapped in me.  I was really excited and hopeful about the Pegulas.  I was actually interviewed by the BN before the first game the Pegulas owned the team and was asked about being an ex-pat fan etc.  Once they took over and nothing changed after a couple years I think I saw the futility of it.  They aren't going to win.  Ever. 

I get it melodrama you'll be back when they win blah blah.  I really can't explain the complete and utter emotional disconnect I have with them now.  It's just over.  I don't care what they do.  This whole which QB to take thing?  Who cares, no matter what it was going to be the wrong one.  Regardless of who they actually took.  They would find a way to ###### it up.

Football as an entity is nearly dead to me and you're talking about a person who followed it religiously.  I was doing fantasy football in middle school in 1988.  Now?  No more FFL, maybe watch 1 game a week.  Maybe.

Hockey is getting there, at least the NHL.  My oldest son plays so I still like that and his games and development are fun. I like the U-18s.  Pro hockey?  Whatever.  Had Vegas won that probably would have clinched it.  Talk about a fan base with literally nothing invested being handed a big fat unearned cookie.  Good lord.  Sit through a couple lockouts and have your heart broken in the playoffs a couple times (hell miss the playoffs a couple times to see what that feels like) then come talk to me.  Until then you are unworthy of a Stanley Cup.

You're always welcome here as far as I'm concerned, but you might want to consider a name change.

I've lived in Philadelphia longer than I lived in Buffalo at this point.  My wife is from here, my kids were born here and God forbid their teams win sometimes.  I'm just about done.  Not kidding about the Bills either.  2 years ago after the Jets night game debacle I packed up every single piece of Bills stuff I had and put it in Goodwill the next day and never looked back.  Don't care what they do, only watch parts of games when I'm at my parents house on Sundays. Last thing I have a is a big red bar that I painted a logo on (well I might add) in my basement that I put into storage so I don't have to look at it.  I've been too lazy to get someone to help me bring it into the back yard so I can douse it in gasoline and set it on fire.  So anybody who wants it in the greater Philly area come get it out of my basement and it's yours.  I can PM you pictures of it.

I don't know what snapped in me.  I was really excited and hopeful about the Pegulas.  I was actually interviewed by the BN before the first game the Pegulas owned the team and was asked about being an ex-pat fan etc.  Once they took over and nothing changed after a couple years I think I saw the futility of it.  They aren't going to win.  Ever. 

I get it melodrama you'll be back when they win blah blah.  I really can't explain the complete and utter emotional disconnect I have with them now.  It's just over.  I don't care what they do.  This whole which QB to take thing?  Who cares, no matter what it was going to be the wrong one.  Regardless of who they actually took.  They would find a way to ###### it up.

Football as an entity is nearly dead to me and you're talking about a person who followed it religiously.  I was doing fantasy football in middle school in 1988.  Now?  No more FFL, maybe watch 1 game a week.  Maybe.

Hockey is getting there, at least the NHL.  My oldest son plays so I still like that and his games and development are fun. I like the U-18s.  Pro hockey?  Whatever.  Had Vegas won that probably would have clinched it.  Talk about a fan base with literally nothing invested being handed a big fat unearned cookie.  Good lord.  Sit through a couple lockouts and have your heart broken in the playoffs a couple times (hell miss the playoffs a couple times to see what that feels like) then come talk to me.  Until then you are unworthy of a Stanley Cup.

Well, that's way more than I expected from an in-jest comment (I hope you took it that way). Stick with it! Suffering forever makes the winning more satisfying when it comes.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Those are awesome! They remind me a bit of Iceland, except the trees, did you stop at a lot of cities to disembark? 

Thanks, I appreciate your kind thoughts. We were in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway and then on the way back to Seattle we stopped in Victoria. I've been to Victoria before but most of the family had not. Beautiful city but the Alaskan sites were nothing short of breathtaking

1 minute ago, jsb said:

Thanks, I appreciate your kind thoughts. We were in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway and then on the way back to Seattle we stopped in Victoria. I've been to Victoria before but most of the family had not. Beautiful city but the Alaskan sites were nothing short of breathtaking

Good to hear another great review of an Alaskan cruise. My wife and I are planning to take one next spring and can not wait!

I just got an email from the Hurricanes telling me that if I buy group tickets like I have in the past, they will let us wait in the walkway and high five the Carolina players as the enter the ice at some point.  How awesome would that be, to be right up there front and center on the jumbotron, wearing my Sabres jersey and completely ignoring each of their players (except Stempniak, I can't do that)?

Edited by shrader

18 hours ago, shrader said:

I just got an email from the Hurricanes telling me that if I buy group tickets like I have in the past, they will let us wait in the walkway and high five the Carolina players as the enter the ice at some point.  How awesome would that be, to be right up there front and center on the jumbotron, wearing my Sabres jersey and completely ignoring each of their players (except Stempniak, I can't do that)?

It would be funnier if you mooned them all as they walked by, but they'd probably kick you out for that.

23 hours ago, shrader said:

With a SS shirt!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great visit with my mom last weekend, and as of today, I finally have central air conditioning at home. ? It's been a brutal summer out here, and I'd resigned myself to having to wait another year until I found a company that offers financing for 36 mos. with no interest (!). Hooray!

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/13/2018 at 3:51 PM, spndnchz said:

With a SS shirt!

And with drunkard. They can barbecue babies together.

18 minutes ago, biodork said:

Had a great visit with my mom last weekend, and as of today, I finally have central air conditioning at home. ? It's been a brutal summer out here, and I'd resigned myself to having to wait another year until I found a company that offers financing for 36 mos. with no interest (!). Hooray!

How the hell do you do Denver without AC?!

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And with drunkard. They can barbecue babies together.

How the hell do you do Denver without AC?!

Ceiling fans, window fans, and lots of sweating! 78 degrees never felt so good.

Edited by biodork

10 hours ago, biodork said:

Ceiling fans, window fans, and lots of sweating! 78 degrees never felt so good.

You keep it at 78 with a working AC? That sounds hot. I've got a Wi-Fi enabled programmable thermostat at home and I have it scheduled to go up to 75 when nobody is home. I keep it at 70 when people are home and drop it to 67 when we go to sleep.

Our AC at work was busted and the indoor temperature sat around 78-80 degrees until it got fixed and it was miserable, even with one of those industrial fans sitting on my desk.

11 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

You keep it at 78 with a working AC? That sounds hot. I've got a Wi-Fi enabled programmable thermostat at home and I have it scheduled to go up to 75 when nobody is home. I keep it at 70 when people are home and drop it to 67 when we go to sleep. 

Temps are somewhat subjective/whack/whatever from house to house.  I suspect thermostats themselves are +/- a degree or two accuracy.  Plus, levels of insulation, heat loads, and air movement with ceiling fans, etc., can affect the comfort level.  Also, ceiling heights can play a factor.

In my recently sold house, setting the AC at 78 degrees produced a pretty comfortable temperature through the house.  In our new home,  74-75 provides a similar comfort level.  I think the differences lie primarily in the heat load from the roof (I think I need more insulation) and the natural air movement in the house. 

Also, the new house has 8 foot ceilings where the old house had vaulted ceilings in several rooms (living room, dining room, family room, master bedroom).  Since hot air rises, I think that helps the temp in all rooms because it gets up to the ceilings in the rooms without vaulted ceilings and naturally circulates over the the vaulted rooms and relieves the "hot" feeling.  In the new house, the hot air builds up at the shorter ceiling and occupies enough space that the occupants can feel the pocket of hot air.

So yeah, I think the feeling of temperature is relative based on several factors in each house.

1 hour ago, Alkoholist said:

Our AC at work was busted and the indoor temperature sat around 78-80 degrees until it got fixed and it was miserable, even with one of those industrial fans sitting on my desk.

78 feels glorious after it's been consistently 82-88 degrees inside the last 6 weeks!  That would seem very hot at work, but that's mostly because the extra layers you have to wear in the lab.  In the winter I only heat to 68-70 degrees and that also feels just fine since I'm generally wearing heavier clothing.  So I guess I ascribe to doohickie's rationale on climate control!

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Temps are somewhat subjective/whack/whatever from house to house.  I suspect thermostats themselves are +/- a degree or two accuracy.  Plus, levels of insulation, heat loads, and air movement with ceiling fans, etc., can affect the comfort level.  Also, ceiling heights can play a factor.

In my recently sold house, setting the AC at 78 degrees produced a pretty comfortable temperature through the house.  In our new home,  74-75 provides a similar comfort level.  I think the differences lie primarily in the heat load from the roof (I think I need more insulation) and the natural air movement in the house. 

Also, the new house has 8 foot ceilings where the old house had vaulted ceilings in several rooms (living room, dining room, family room, master bedroom).  Since hot air rises, I think that helps the temp in all rooms because it gets up to the ceilings in the rooms without vaulted ceilings and naturally circulates over the the vaulted rooms and relieves the "hot" feeling.  In the new house, the hot air builds up at the shorter ceiling and occupies enough space that the occupants can feel the pocket of hot air.

So yeah, I think the feeling of temperature is relative based on several factors in each house.

I didn't think about this but that's a good point. I think I have 10 foot ceilings everywhere in my house except for the living room, so that might be why I need to keep it cooler.

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

My house is set to 68 degrees 365 days a year. And I prefer to sleep in 60 degrees if my wife would let me get away with it.

I would love to do this but my electric bill would probably double in the summer time, even though I have solar panels.

2 hours ago, biodork said:

78 feels glorious after it's been consistently 82-88 degrees inside the last 6 weeks!  That would seem very hot at work, but that's mostly because the extra layers you have to wear in the lab.  In the winter I only heat to 68-70 degrees and that also feels just fine since I'm generally wearing heavier clothing.  So I guess I ascribe to doohickie's rationale on climate control!

That makes sense. When it's really hot any drop has got to provide some relief.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This makes sense, too... I have normal height ceilings in most rooms of the house but vaulted ceilings in the bedroom, which likely makes it feel better than it would otherwise.