Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

idk if it is awesome but I found it fun...

The Buffalo Sabres in 2018 could draft Ryan O'Reilly. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=276199 

So A: that is awesome.

and B: how would the name plate on the sweater work? R. O'Reilly wouldn't work, nor would using a full name. Middle initial, I guess? O'Reilly ying and OReilly yang?

Even more important, how you do hockey nicknames in this case? The mind boggles.

So A: that is awesome.

and B: how would the name plate on the sweater work? R. O'Reilly wouldn't work, nor would using a full name. Middle initial, I guess? O'Reilly ying and OReilly yang?

Even more important, how you do hockey nicknames in this case? The mind boggles.

You immediately call him snook

I have 8 lbs of over ripe cucumbers brining overnight for Elaine's favorite pickles. She called them tongue pickles. In her final weeks she couldn't eat at all but sipped at the liquid of the batch I'd made last year.

My wife calls them Xmas pickles because they're sweet and pickled with a cinnamon stick in each jar. Beautiful presentation. Beautiful taste.

Mom had wanted to beat the cancer and come down to make pickles with us. She'll be here with me tomorrow tending the sterilization process, making sure it's done right.

I have 8 lbs of over ripe cucumbers brining overnight for Elaine's favorite pickles. She called them tongue pickles. In her final weeks she couldn't eat at all but sipped at the liquid of the batch I'd made last year.

My wife calls them Xmas pickles because they're sweet and pickled with a cinnamon stick in each jar. Beautiful presentation. Beautiful taste.

Mom had wanted to beat the cancer and come down to make pickles with us. She'll be here with me tomorrow tending the sterilization process, making sure it's done right.

Dude. Awesome.

Up and at early for a solo diner breakfast of eggs and homemade hash.

Still early AM and the tongue pickles are all done. As I'm getting an early leg workout in I'm listening to the sound of canning jar lids snap themselves sealed.

Excellent communication and chore sharing leads to afternoon delight. Very rare. Makes me feel young again.

Jump right into prep for party mode. Mohagony clams, porterhouse steaks, local corn, yada yada.

Squeeze in some time to throw a football with the nephew.

Start up the clams. I have the best seat and most work but I am rewarded with constant clams and I get to eat my steak on station.

Crowd departs and we sit in the tub watching that blood red moon on the rise...

Happy Labor Day, folks.

Up and at early for a solo diner breakfast of eggs and homemade hash.

Still early AM and the tongue pickles are all done. As I'm getting an early leg workout in I'm listening to the sound of canning jar lids snap themselves sealed.

Excellent communication and chore sharing leads to afternoon delight. Very rare. Makes me feel young again.

Jump right into prep for party mode. Mohagony clams, porterhouse steaks, local corn, yada yada.

Squeeze in some time to throw a football with the nephew.

Start up the clams. I have the best seat and most work but I am rewarded with constant clams and I get to eat my steak on station.

Crowd departs and we sit in the tub watching that blood red moon on the rise...

Happy Labor Day, folks.

The moon looks great tonight.

What's your hash recipe, I want to make my own.

The moon looks great tonight.

What's your hash recipe, I want to make my own.

I buy a whole corned brisket. I don't corn it myself. We eat the flat as dinners and I use the point for hash. You need the fat to make hash right. The potato is boiled al dente and diced small. Use a cast iron skillet and let it heat until the fat sizzles. Add the potato until done. Prepare for morning nap.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh,…

can you hear that?…

doesn't sound like anything, does it?…

that's the sound of the first day of school.

I always thought the sound of the first day of school was the extra 30 minutes or so of morning radio that I have to listen to while stuck in traffic.

I buy a whole corned brisket. I don't corn it myself. We eat the flat as dinners and I use the point for hash. You need the fat to make hash right. The potato is boiled al dente and diced small. Use a cast iron skillet and let it heat until the fat sizzles. Add the potato until done. Prepare for morning nap.

:thumbsup:

Not sure this is addressed elsewhere, but I was pleased to see one of our own have her artwork featured in the new local sports writing veture. I'm a subscriber now, so I hope they paid you for your work, Josie.

https://www.thebuffalostar.com/2017/09/the-case-for-rasmus-ristolainen/

Not sure this is addressed elsewhere, but I was pleased to see one of our own have her artwork featured in the new local sports writing veture. I'm a subscriber now, so I hope they paid you for your work, Josie.

I see people talking in the Risto thread about it.

I'm super proud to have my work out there. I talked to the owner after poking them on twitter, and while there really isn't much if any money involved, I feel like it's one of the rare instances where I'm willing to put my work out there for the exposure. A lot of their budget went towards hiring great writers, so we worked out a deal that they can use work of mine that's already done (or some quick work), I get a shout out, and maybe things will change down the road depending on the success of the publication. 

That's par for the course in the life of an illustrator, but again, I think this is the right place to hedge my bets. Lots of eyes will see it. It's something I love. That's how it is with 26 as well- the artist makes a buck off each shirt sold and that's it. I've yet to break even... but again.. if one of those things gets successful... 

i JUST WANNA SEE MORE ILLUSTRATION IN THE WORLD DAMMIT!! It adds a unique edge to articles, a bit of fascination. I may be nearly broke, but I love illustration and I don't think I'll ever entirely give it up. 

I see people talking in the Risto thread about it.

I'm super proud to have my work out there. I talked to the owner after poking them on twitter, and while there really isn't much if any money involved, I feel like it's one of the rare instances where I'm willing to put my work out there for the exposure. A lot of their budget went towards hiring great writers, so we worked out a deal that they can use work of mine that's already done (or some quick work), I get a shout out, and maybe things will change down the road depending on the success of the publication. 

That's par for the course in the life of an illustrator, but again, I think this is the right place to hedge my bets. Lots of eyes will see it. It's something I love. That's how it is with 26 as well- the artist makes a buck off each shirt sold and that's it. I've yet to break even... but again.. if one of those things gets successful... 

i JUST WANNA SEE MORE ILLUSTRATION IN THE WORLD DAMMIT!! It adds a unique edge to articles, a bit of fascination. I may be nearly broke, but I love illustration and I don't think I'll ever entirely give it up. 

Be the change you want to see in the world. 

Okay, I may have vomited in my mouth a bit after typing that, but it's kinda true. People legit don't know they need illustration. They have no idea that it's something they want. But you can show them. 

Be the change you want to see in the world. 

Okay, I may have vomited in my mouth a bit after typing that, but it's kinda true. People legit don't know they need illustration. They have no idea that it's something they want. But you can show them. 

There used to be so much of it. Think of advertisements. I have giant tomes full of ad illustration from the 1860s onward. The golden age of the 1960s, the pinup illustrations and Vargas girls of the 40s and 50s, the 1980s, where pubs like Playboy were good for sexy women AND amazing art. Then it kinda trailed off in the 90s... and now you don't see much of it. You see a lot of what I call "simple" illustration on NPR and other sites- that textured, sort of childlike stuff. 

GQ uses great illustrators. I see the occasional piece bumping around on video game pubs, or NY Times. But for the most part, illustration isn't applied anymore, it's more fine art- an artist creates a piece and sells it as prints. No media outlets want to/can pony up the bucks to pay them worthwhile. They have deals with photo aggregates- they slide <10 bucks their way and have a lede photo. Why pay over 100 bucks and do the back and forth with an artist when you can Boom. Done. with a photo in a few minutes? 

And everyone waxes poetic about the nostalgia of vintage sports programmes, they frame sketches in their man caves, but no one in the leagues pays anyone to do them. 

I volunteer as tribute. 

Side note, if you like futbol/soccer, check out my friend Mark's page dedicated to illustrators of that sport: http://www.trequartistaclub.com/

Here's an issue of it: http://mailchi.mp/0196ed7f3fb2/european-leagues-are-kicking-off-and-the-premier-league-is-back-with-a-bang?e=13311ce815&utm_content=buffer97528&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Ah, passion ranting. Sorry guys. 

Edited by Josie914

Unfortunately, currently applied filters do not let me see Josie's art on that website. I'll need to check it out tonight. 

Dinner yesterday and leftovers for lunch today included locally sourced Polish sausage.  The wife and I went away for the weekend and on the way home stopped in at one of those highway tourist trap places called "Dutchman's Hidden Valley".  Looks like little more than a shed outside but inside is a sprawling complex of rooms that connect to each other that have the normal roadside gift shop crap, but also homemade taffy, fudge and chocolates, and smoked meats, sausage and cheeses.  So I got some of the Polish and cooked it up with some pierogies last night.  Delish.

There's a small Polish enclave (St. Hedwig) in Texas, but the countryside is littered with little German towns and a few Czech towns.  The place we stopped at this weekend made good Polish sausage.

Unfortunately, currently applied filters do not let me see Josie's art on that website. I'll need to check it out tonight. 

Dinner yesterday and leftovers for lunch today included locally sourced Polish sausage.  The wife and I went away for the weekend and on the way home stopped in at one of those highway tourist trap places called "Dutchman's Hidden Valley".  Looks like little more than a shed outside but inside is a sprawling complex of rooms that connect to each other that have the normal roadside gift shop crap, but also homemade taffy, fudge and chocolates, and smoked meats, sausage and cheeses.  So I got some of the Polish and cooked it up with some pierogies last night.  Delish.

There's a small Polish enclave (St. Hedwig) in Texas, but the countryside is littered with little German towns and a few Czech towns.  The place we stopped at this weekend made good Polish sausage.

It's the excellent Ristoleinen head shot somebody here's been using as an avatar. Should get her more publicity than this little backwoods outclave.

She was just mentioned in a Dave Davis tweet about it also, CONGRATS Josie, great stuff.

She was just mentioned in a Dave Davis tweet about it also, CONGRATS Josie, great stuff.

Thanks!! 

He's a really nice, chill guy. 10/10, would recommend! 

It's 100% the power of Twitter. I poked them and he reached out. 

Edited by Josie914