Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

My mom's family lived in Lackawanna; many of my cousins still live there.  One cousin was very near the fire that burned that one Bethlehem Steel building down (he had to keep his windows closed).

This should help, but really, what are you going to do with such a polluted brownfield, other than put more heavy industry on it?  It will be interesting to see if they can ever get it cleaned up enough for retail/residential use.  I doubt it.

My mom's family lived in Lackawanna; many of my cousins still live there. One cousin was very near the fire that burned that one Bethlehem Steel building down (he had to keep his windows closed).

This should help, but really, what are you going to do with such a polluted brownfield, other than put more heavy industry on it? It will be interesting to see if they can ever get it cleaned up enough for retail/residential use. I doubt it.

I feel like that fire might have motivated the county to act. Leaving that property up to private ownership seems to have turned it into a hazard.

Brownfields can be fixed. Anyone know if that site is super fund eligible?

Edited by d4rksabre

I feel like that fire might have motivated the county to act. Leaving that property up to private ownership seems to have turned it into a hazard.

The Wegmans in Malvern, PA is on the site of a 19th century tannery. It took awhile to get it sorted out (they found out about it during construction, no one knew it had been there), but there is a target, wegs, panera, and other stuff there now so it can be done. (assuming tannery and steel plant are in the same ballpark pollution-wise).

My mom's family lived in Lackawanna; many of my cousins still live there.  One cousin was very near the fire that burned that one Bethlehem Steel building down (he had to keep his windows closed).

This should help, but really, what are you going to do with such a polluted brownfield, other than put more heavy industry on it?  It will be interesting to see if they can ever get it cleaned up enough for retail/residential use.  I doubt it.

I worked there from 71' thru 77', open hearth, strip mill, coke ovens, bricklayer helper. I was laid off for about a year in 76 thru the beginning of 77. Don't remember the exact dates but I was laid off during the blizzard of 77', came back to work for awhile and was laid off for good, I think in October. I still have the brass coin that designated your employee number and allowed you to get in the gate.

At its peak it had 20,000 employees there

Edited by jsb

The news report characterized the acreage being acquired as "remediated," so I'm not even sure the site at issue is still a brownfield or Superfund site.

Edit: I'm reading on. So, it's remediated, but probably still qualifies for brownfield credits.

Edited by That Aud Smell

"It’s one of the few remaining large sites grandfathered under the old rules of the state’s Brownfield Cleanup Program. That means businesses that locate on the cleaned-up and state-certified Bethlehem Steel site would be eligible to recoup 18 percent of their entire investment.

There’s no dollar limit. Additional property tax breaks would last 10 years and spill over to the next user."

Man. Sunny and happy news conference today, but the devil resides in the details:

"That’s why county and industrial development agency leaders are under the gun to get the cleaned-up Bethlehem Steel property transferred into public hands as quickly as possible. To maintain those benefits under the old rules, cleanup must be formally completed and state certified by Dec. 31.

Tecumseh is responsible for dropping a foot of cover, such as soil or slag – a stony steelmaking byproduct already on the site – on top of most of the property that the county will purchase. But it has to move fast.

To help Tecumseh finance the capping of the brownfield property, the county is buying the 150-acre parcel in four phases. The payment for Phase I will help pay for the capping of Phase II, and so on. By the end of the year, all four phases must be transferred to the Erie County Industrial Development Agency’s nonprofit land development corporation."

"It’s one of the few remaining large sites grandfathered under the old rules of the state’s Brownfield Cleanup Program. That means businesses that locate on the cleaned-up and state-certified Bethlehem Steel site would be eligible to recoup 18 percent of their entire investment.

There’s no dollar limit. Additional property tax breaks would last 10 years and spill over to the next user."

Man. Sunny and happy news conference today, but the devil resides in the details:

"That’s why county and industrial development agency leaders are under the gun to get the cleaned-up Bethlehem Steel property transferred into public hands as quickly as possible. To maintain those benefits under the old rules, cleanup must be formally completed and state certified by Dec. 31.

Tecumseh is responsible for dropping a foot of cover, such as soil or slag – a stony steelmaking byproduct already on the site – on top of most of the property that the county will purchase. But it has to move fast.

To help Tecumseh finance the capping of the brownfield property, the county is buying the 150-acre parcel in four phases. The payment for Phase I will help pay for the capping of Phase II, and so on. By the end of the year, all four phases must be transferred to the Erie County Industrial Development Agency’s nonprofit land development corporation."

That is...an aggressive timeline.

Probably doesn't fit with that timeline, but I wonder if this would be an option for the new stadium. I saw that idea on twitter and it makes some sort of sense.

Come to think of it, if there is anyone in the area who has the money to buy a big parcel of land for cash and sit on it for a while its Pegula.

Probably doesn't fit with that timeline, but I wonder if this would be an option for the new stadium. I saw that idea on twitter and it makes some sort of sense.

Come to think of it, if there is anyone in the area who has the money to buy a big parcel of land for cash and sit on it for a while its Pegula.

indeed-that-is-a-good-point.jpg

vo3WNVy.png

Quick size comparison mockup. 

Blue is the size of the whole Bethlehem Steel block.

Red is the size of the OP Stadium, facilities, and official parking lots ( I think anyways)

Pink is the actual stadium size.

This makes a lot of sense. There's enough room there. One problem is that Poloncarz is very anti-new stadium.

Edited by sabills

This post is about 2 months late but it's Friday afternoon and I've got the time to post it now.

I started playing ice hockey about 2.5 years ago, and the past 3 memorial day weekends I've participated in the NYCGHA's "Chelsea Challenge" hockey tournament. This past event they asked me to captain one of the teams in the lower division. I'd never captained anything sports related before and I was a bit apprehensive but went along with it. My team ended up winning the tournament and it was a blast. Afterwards I was thinking about it and I realized I'd never been part of a winning sports team, be it playing for or rooting for. 30 some years and not one championship celebrated until then. To be fair, I didn't really play sports in high school but still, that's a lot of losing over the years.

I really can't wait for the Sabres or Bills to make it all the way. The energy in the city is going to be something else.

3ht0UPl.jpg3ht0UPlr.jpg

Congratulations.  Glad you had a good time at Chelsea.  I'm good friends with someone in that photo, but I'll let you guess who that might be.

edit: And as proof I'm not with you, not that it was really necessary, here's the same photo from a different photographer.

T9aQgpI.jpg

Edited by IKnowPhysics

My boss, and specifically the relationship I have with him, is awesome.

I'm currently in Richmond for a three day CLE bonanza. Current circumstances plus things going on with me plus hotel room by myself

plus a liter of Bushmills (I didn't drink all of it, relax. Had help) equals me sending in my resignation in a profanity laced email tirade at three in the morning.

8:00 rolls around, I get a call. Boss: "You tied one on last night, I can tell by the spelling." Me: "Christ, I forgot about that email" Boss: "You want me to put it with the others? (which means deleted)" Me: "Yup." Boss: "Alright, we'll go shooting when you get back." Me: "fantastic."

I said some hilariously awful things. Dude gets me, for which I am grateful. I do not recommend this in most situations.

https://twitter.com/fischerphoto/status/890229919422308354

My son watching me play hockey last Saturday at Chelsea Piers subbing with Mustache of God's team. He asked my wife, "what's that smell?". My wife's response, "That's hockey,". His response, "it's stinky."

https://twitter.com/fischerphoto/status/890229919422308354

My son watching me play hockey last Saturday at Chelsea Piers subbing with Mustache of God's team. He asked my wife, "what's that smell?". My wife's response, "That's hockey,". His response, "it's stinky."

Oh man.

You should smell our front closet in our tiny apartment. It is d4rk's goalie equipment den.

Oh. God. I'm used to hockey stank.

This is.... concentrated pungent. There's just nowhere else to put gear in our postage stamp of an apt... 

Oh man.

You should smell our front closet in our tiny apartment. It is d4rk's goalie equipment den.

Oh. God. I'm used to hockey stank.

This is.... concentrated pungent. There's just nowhere else to put gear in our postage stamp of an apt...

We are in apartment, my wife makes me keep my bag in the THULE on top Honda Pilot. I repeat it does not come into the apartment. Edited by North Buffalo

E.T. is on Netflix now.

I didn't realize how much this movie sucked until today.  I do remember, vaguely, that I didn't love it when I was ten or whatever.  Now I know why.

Holy , this is one of the worst movies ever made.  And it made millions!

Don't watch it.  It's the VIlle Leino of movies.