Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

For anyone with an older Nexus phone already on Google Fi (or anyone looking to switch to Fi), they have a great promotion going on through Oct. 5th if you trade-in an existing phone for the new Moto X:

https://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/cache/page_enhanced/www.droid-life.com/2017/09/20/google-pixel-trade-in-program-details/_index.html

https://www.blog.google/products/project-fi/project-fi-welcomes-android-one-moto-x4/

Dang. I wish I could afford to pay for the rest of the phone after the trade in.

Dang. I wish I could afford to pay for the rest of the phone after the trade in.

Also Project Fi is the . Nothing but good things to say about it as long as you aren't a heavy data user millennial.

For anyone with an older Nexus phone already on Google Fi (or anyone looking to switch to Fi), they have a great promotion going on through Oct. 5th if you trade-in an existing phone for the new Moto X:

https://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/cache/page_enhanced/www.droid-life.com/2017/09/20/google-pixel-trade-in-program-details/_index.html

https://www.blog.google/products/project-fi/project-fi-welcomes-android-one-moto-x4/

Should have quoted bio's post.

I sent support an email about my warranty because that will determine if I bite. My current 5X was a free warranty replacement for my first one which bricked in February. My concern is that with the 5X no longer being available, if my current 5X bricks under warranty again I'll end up having to pay for part of a new Pixel or something instead, which could end up being more expensive than just trading in now. So we'll see what they say.

Also Project Fi is the ######. Nothing but good things to say about it as long as you aren't a heavy data user millennial.

Should have quoted bio's post.

:lol:

Happy Hocktober! So glad the season's finally here! 

GBix3kP.jpg

Awesome, Jo!

Not a terrible idea, especially since going through 26shirts or others has such low margins for the artist.

Shirts just don't sell well. My main income is designing patches for a guy, and he's all gung ho on novelty/limited edition shirts at the moment. And even though ANY of his patches sell out in literal minutes of posting, he can't sell shirts, even of the same design. They just don't go. 

I've learned enough through other tshirt biz I've done work for and my own online shops that shirts. just. don't. pay. the. bills. For all the work they take, the money it costs to print and ship... never going to profit. 

I've spent close to 20 hours on designs for 26 and have made maybe 3 hours worth of money at my lowest rate. It's not really about  the money- I'm getting work out there/helping charity, but yeah, it sucks when the most popular design is a re-skin of a famous webcomic. It's genius, for sure, but ouch. I'm too dependent on every dollar to keep swinging and missing. It's an honor to work for them, but it's definitely not a part of my income. 

That being said, I have 2 designs still in the pipe with them... dunno when they're coming out. They're actually for Buffalo for once instead of Chicago or Pittsburgh. Might actually sell more than a handful. 

I sent support an email about my warranty because that will determine if I bite. My current 5X was a free warranty replacement for my first one which bricked in February. My concern is that with the 5X no longer being available, if my current 5X bricks under warranty again I'll end up having to pay for part of a new Pixel or something instead, which could end up being more expensive than just trading in now. So we'll see what they say.

I picked up a 5X recently from gizmotrader through Amazon used for around $220, so it's an option. The phone is in good shape, the only visual defects I can see are some places where something was stuck to the back. Battery seems to be OK, too. Nice part is you can return it if there's an issue.

Shirts just don't sell well. My main income is designing patches for a guy, and he's all gung ho on novelty/limited edition shirts at the moment. And even though ANY of his patches sell out in literal minutes of posting, he can't sell shirts, even of the same design. They just don't go. 

I've learned enough through other tshirt biz I've done work for and my own online shops that shirts. just. don't. pay. the. bills. For all the work they take, the money it costs to print and ship... never going to profit. 

I've spent close to 20 hours on designs for 26 and have made maybe 3 hours worth of money at my lowest rate. It's not really about  the money- I'm getting work out there/helping charity, but yeah, it sucks when the most popular design is a re-skin of a famous webcomic. It's genius, for sure, but ouch. I'm too dependent on every dollar to keep swinging and missing. It's an honor to work for them, but it's definitely not a part of my income. 

That being said, I have 2 designs still in the pipe with them... dunno when they're coming out. They're actually for Buffalo for once instead of Chicago or Pittsburgh. Might actually sell more than a handful. 

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. 

I would have thought the issue with shirts is more with the overhead and printing cost making it so a $20 shirt only gets a dollar or so for the artist. But if they don't sell at all, then I would definitely pursue other avenues.

. Kinda like the post card business... no money unless you sell a ton and maketing takes time... Can help if you can put your website on it... Do limited production. PS consider using a smugmug site, they sell T-shirts, logos online as well as photos and cards then use gallery link options to sell and set your prices plus their cut.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. 

I would have thought the issue with shirts is more with the overhead and printing cost making it so a $20 shirt only gets a dollar or so for the artist. But if they don't sell at all, then I would definitely pursue other avenues.

Not for nothing, until a shirt sells 75 times, $4 from each sale does go to charity with the 26 model. So even my poorest selling designs have made a good 70-100 bucks for charity. There's pressure on me because if a charity is paired up with one of my no-go's, but another charity was teamed up with a banger, seems kinda sad for the poor b@stards who got stuck with me. 

It's a great idea. It's just for every hit, you get 15 flops. And that's unsustainable for someone like me right now. 

. Kinda like the post card business... no money unless you sell a ton and maketing takes time... Can help if you can put your website on it... Do limited production. PS consider using a smugmug site, they sell T-shirts, logos online as well as photos and cards then use gallery link options to sell and set your prices plus their cut.

Yeah, I did a ton of research on selling my designs. Society6 takes almost all the cut. I made a whole 2 bucks off each 26 dollar shirt I sold. Redbubble is what I'm doing now, it's not bad as far as margin. I can make 6 off a sale. But I've sold one shirt (despite everyone and their sister telling me they wanted one, prompting me to spend the time to do it) and a handful of stickers. Have made about 12 bucks in all. Yay. Most other shops are similar to one of those two, or you have to pay to be a part of it (30 a month for a swanky shopify set up, which is great, but I can't afford that ###### right now), or you have to sell a certain number by a deadline before they make your design. 

Half have a mind to save up and buy my own little screen printing press and try my hand at it in someone's garage. I have good ideas. I really do. They just always get art directed to death or passed over for something "viral". 

Edited by Josie914

Smugmug allows direct twitter, linked in, facebook links and you to set your prices. They set their base price and you mark it up.

You can also put your artwork on it too with a number of print options including canvas, postcards, coffee cups etc. You set your prices.

So make it viral.!

Awesome thing: got my first ever exam here done today and it wasn't the worst thing in the world, and my family came to visit for the weekend. 

Not awesome thing: I totally thought my girlfriend was surprising me by showing up with my family when they visited, and was just lying that she couldn't make it to make the surprise fun. I didn't realize how much I believed that until I spent the last 20 minutes crying shriveled in a ball on my bed after the realization that she really isn't here.

Just had my "Oh crap I have to use a bunch of leave or I lose it" request formally approved.  Other than Christmas Eve/Day which I'm required to work because of reasons, I'll be off from December 10th through January 6th. 

No plans to actually do anything as yet, and I don't know if I wanna make any.