Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Good on him.

Tonight, we celebrate 15 years and 195,000 miles of service from my wife's Ford Taurus.  We bought it new with 78 miles on it, and got our money's worth.  This was a great, comfortable, sled of a car that would get 30 mpg full of luggage and 4 people.

We all get old though, and the problems started to pile up.  Last fall it started getting electrical gremlins that made the headlights and instrument cluster pulse bright and dim, and then the battery light would go on.  The car drove fine, but it was an interesting light show.  Then this spring she noticed the AC wasn't working anymore.  This evening on the way home from work, the car started making odd noises and she noticed the power on her power brakes was gone due to a massive vacuum leak.  It's been a great car, but at some point you have to move on.

Thanks Taurus, you've been wonderful.

17991356_1266029816779239_48369170530524

Tonight, we celebrate 15 years and 195,000 miles of service from my wife's Ford Taurus.

Out with the old, in with the new-ish. 

My wife looked online and found a low mileage 2015 Ford Escape Titanium at a local Ford dealer.  We drove over this afternoon and easy as that, we have a replacement for the Taurus.

18033994_1268687816513439_53619653590535

The joke's on me... maybe.

We didn't trade the Taurus in, since the brakes were so sketchy.  Now that the pressure's off, I looked around under the hood and waddya know?  I think I can probably fix the brakes and the AC for about $20.  If the car is running better maybe I can get $1000 for it.

There's an exhaust sensor that isn't hooked up; the hose that connects it to the manifold is missing.  So the hot gas from the exhaust manifold melted the AC control vacuum lines.  There's two of them, a little one and a big one.  My guess is that when the little one melted the AC stopped working and when the big one melted it caused a big enough vacuum leak that she lost the power on the power brakes.

So I think for the cost of some high-temp rubber hose and some vacuum line I can fix the brakes and AC.  I wouldn't be surprised if the voltage problem goes away too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Doohickie

Best of luck to you guys, True and Flagg. Good stuff.

My big change of life event was I just got a new bass amp. Don't get me wrong, it's not moving halfway across the country, but going from a 75lb amp to one that is 4lbs (yet has twice the power) is pretty life changing.

So you got a smaller fish?

????

I was driving north of Cuba, NY, today — Southern tier Amish country — and happened to see an Amish man, father, I assume, walking away from his house and toward his barn, one small boy slung over his right shoulder and another running playfully behind to catch up. It was honestly one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

I was driving north of Cuba, NY, today — Southern tier Amish country — and happened to see an Amish man, father, I assume, walking away from his house and toward his barn, one small boy slung over his right shoulder and another running playfully behind to catch up. It was honestly one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

I bet that's the guy we buy lumber from