Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Got my first animation freelance gig! Just a little thing, but I'm excited. It involves jets and space and cool stuff I love with a client I've worked with quite a bit. Honestly, I'm not doing too badly for not having a full time job. I'm just about making ends meet, and if I get a part time once I move to Buffalo and the freelance keeps up, I'll be ok. Still feel a little nauseous not having a solid 9-5 with benefits, though. Time will tell... 

Congrats Josie!!

Got my first animation freelance gig! Just a little thing, but I'm excited. It involves jets and space and cool stuff I love with a client I've worked with quite a bit. Honestly, I'm not doing too badly for not having a full time job. I'm just about making ends meet, and if I get a part time once I move to Buffalo and the freelance keeps up, I'll be ok. Still feel a little nauseous not having a solid 9-5 with benefits, though. Time will tell...

Very cool.

Yeah, Josie!!

Great Success!

[image]1324dfd733535e58dba70264e6d05c9b70346204d2cacef65abef9c702746d1c.jpg[/image]

yeah!

Nice work, Josie.

I almost forgot to mention, when the neighbors and I were out shoveling yesterday, the wives were inside cooking (no, I don't live in Mayberry). My one neighbor disappeared for a little bit. He shows up outside 10 minutes later with empanadas for the 4 of us that had been working all morning. Delicious, hot, beef empanadas. I had a bunch of genny cream ale chilling in the snow bank. So we sat there, eating empanadas and drinking beer, shooting the . It was pretty nice.

Congrats!

Good on you! :beer:

Happy Birthday to EichSnipe.

You young whippersnapper!!

Thank you, thank you! The Leafs are in town tonight, and I thought about grabbing tickets in hopes of seeing the Jackets put a beat down on them.. but I'm going to two games in the next week. So tonight I have dinner plans with the wife-to-be. Should be fun :)

I really like that you keep up on the birthdays  :thumbsup:

Thanks.  A little something I like doing, but only for the regulars and sometimes I miss some.

Thank you, thank you! The Leafs are in town tonight, and I thought about grabbing tickets in hopes of seeing the Jackets put a beat down on them.. but I'm going to two games in the next week. So tonight I have dinner plans with the wife-to-be. Should be fun :)

Sounds great!!

And it should be 'my' wife-to-be ... trust me 'the' wife is generally frowned upon by most wifes, or wifes-to-be ...  :flirt:

We wouldn't want you kicked to the curb now, do we?

Sounds great!!

And it should be 'my' wife-to-be ... trust me 'the' wife is generally frowned upon by most wifes, or wifes-to-be ... :flirt:

We wouldn't want you kicked to the curb now, do we?

Ha, good call! She spoils me greatly. Yesterday and everyday, so I'll be staying far away from said curb :)

Dinner was great. The Blue Jackets were not. Good thing we didn't go!

While you guys were off playing with Modo, I was flying home from Frankfurt.....

Germany and Switzerland was really cool.  Too many stories for a format like this.

The Autobahn from Frankfurt to the Swiss border in good weather is really cool once you got used to the speed of traffic. I was amazed at the good condition of the roads, and the courtesy of the drivers.  How can everyone be in such a hurry all the time and still be courteous?  The return trip to Frankfurt was in bad weather.  That was not so cool.  Bumper to bumper at speeds varying from almost stopped to 140kmh in steady rain.  Very nerve wracking.  My 4.5hr trip on the way to Zurich was a 6.5hr+ ride back.  And I was briefly detained by German customs along the way.  Intimidating, but nothing noteworthy otherwise.  I did not ask if I was free to go.

Only had an evening to explore Zurich.  We chose the downtown shopping district and lakefront.  It was really cool.  Prices in Switzerland for everything were astronomical, but it was pretty neat to explore.  $9 beers were typical.  A burger, fries, and a beer cost me about 40 Swiss Francs (about 40USD).  I stayed in a small town called Aarau.  It has an old town section.  Cobblestone, ornate old buildings, shops, cafes, and restaurants everywhere.  Spent a good 3 hrs walking Aarau old town.  Bought some Swiss chocolates and had them shipped home as a surprise for the wife.  25 pcs of chocolate + shipping cost 75 Swiss Francs.  Ouch. 

In Germany, ate dinner twice in little, dinky cities that I don't know the name of.  Searched restaurants in Google, picked something that looked interesting, and got in the car and drove.  Had no idea where I was.  First one was what I imagine an old school, traditional German restaurant would be.  The restaurant also had a brewery, so beers were had.  their "Export" was great, as was their Keller.  Waitress was a lady in her 60's.  She asked me something in German, I replied with "English?"  She replied "a littlle", I said "I don't know any German", and she said "OY!" rolled her eyes, and stormed off.  It got laughs from everyone within earshot.  Dinner was Schweinebraten.  roast pork, brown gravy, dumplings, roasted potatoes.  Oh, so much better than any description.  Was a cool, old place in a picturesque old town.  All cobblestone and old architecture.  Everything you picture when you think of old Germany.

The second adventure dinner had two of us searching for a Spanish restaurant that must be closed, becuase we never did find it.  It was getting late so we just wanted food by then and pulled up to a little pizzeria.  Two Turkish men behind the counter taking orders and making the food.  Who knew you could get Turkish style pizza?  (yes, I discovered that Turkish food is a thing in Germany, like Indian food to the UK, or Chinese to the US) The little town seemed lower income and had a sizeable immigrant population by the looks of things.  We ordered and got our food.  We had been living off my company credit card for everything at this point and I joked that they might be a cash only business and one of us may be held hostage while the other went and got cash.  we went up to pay and, sure enough, cash only business and neither of us had any Euros.  The guy behind the counter was nice enough and told us it was OK to go find cash.  We found a bank a couple blocks away, next to a strip joint named Diamonds, and paid our bill.  Super freindly, and unlike Switzerland, super inexpensive.  A large pizza and a couple of soft drinks was 16 Euros.

Took the train from our hotel near Deitzenbach to downtown Frankfurt on Friday.  Impressive train system.  We walked for several hours.  Ate and drank in several places, one along the river that had a bunch of rowdy locals.  Food was really good.  Beer was really good.  Locals were really entertaining.  Owner looked right out of the movie European Vacation.  Walked the old town, the open market, the high rise district, and tons of points in between.  Never did find the red light district.  Tons of shopping if that is your thing.  Tons of people watching.  Near the central train terminal we wandered into a section of the city that was very differnet from the rest.  Again, lots of immigrants and immigrant shops.  I've never seen so many male hair salons.  Lots of people outside of small bodegos/shops just hanging out and drinking cans of beer and applewine in front of the shop door.  In US they'd call it loitering.  While in that area we rounded a corner and walked right into "something".  There was at least 25 cops, and 3 guys getting frisked and questioned.  2 were on the ground in handcuffs.  Don't know what we missed, but we didn't seem to miss it by much.  Had a couple beers in that area, and took a train back to our hotel at about 10pm.

Left for home yesterday morning.  Found it interesting that German airport security seemed to be both more thorough, yet less obtrusive than US airport security.

Had a great time.  Took tons of pics.  Have a few stories to tell.  T'was an adventure, for sure.

Oh, and I can't be more thankful for whoever it was that created Google translate.  The camera feature that allows you to read real time, using your phone camera, translated text is Nobel prize worthy.  It was a lifesaver for interpreting train schedules, signs, and menus.

Sounds like you had a great time man! We'll have to hear more stories over some beers soon. I'm determined to get to Germany some day so I can make use of what little German I can speak.  :P 

Separate, but...peeper frogs are peepin tonight. It's spring!

One of the things my wife and I (both being from WNY) noticed when we were back there this weekend was just how boggy it is. There is standing water everywhere this time of year. And boy do I miss that sound. We don't get that here in Jersey at all

One of the things my wife and I (both being from WNY) noticed when we were back there this weekend was just how boggy it is. There is standing water everywhere this time of year. And boy do I miss that sound. We don't get that here in Jersey at all

It's always that way in late March/Early April, but it's worse than normal this year due to all the rain that accompanied the wind storm & then the 2' of snow that came down the following week. Stuff was actually reasonably dry 3 weeks ago. Now, even hilltops are mushy.

Edited by Taro T