LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

MUST WIN !!

GO SABRES !!

Cross all the swords ...

FIFY.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Man, that is just it, innit?

Consistency is such a dull and uninteresting thing in a lot of ways. And it's so difficult to attain and maintain. It arises from a hundred little reasons, none of which are glamorous or particularly rewarding in their own right. I watch Boston from afar, and I'm just like Damn. Lose a likely HOF'er and a perennial glue guy, both at centre, but keep on truckin'. How are they doing it? 

My 30,000 foot theory: Consistency in every good thing they do.

If this Sabres team can consistently play at a level that's close to where they should be, as individuals and as a team? They'll be a 100+ point team. It's elusive as hell, though. Consistency.

It's context too. It's Boston. It's the Bruins. Winning begets winning.

What has losing begot (?) in Buffalo. Also re: home record, imagine realizing your dream to play in the NHL and you step onto the ice in an AHL town in an ECHL arena with junior college game presentation and lukewarm fan support.

It's a lot to overcome. And a lot of it, Boston or Buffalo, is squarely between the ears.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

FIFY.

What has losing begot (?) in Buffalo. Also re: home record, imagine realizing your dream to play in the NHL and you step onto the ice in an AHL town in an ECHL arena with junior college game presentation and lukewarm fan support.

It's a lot to overcome. And a lot of it, Boston or Buffalo, is squarely between the ears.

The bold, I can certainly agree with.

i think the Sabres have accumulated a nice amount of talent and a good mix of personalities.

But there is still one more bridge they need to cross.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Gustavsson probably in net as Fleury started last night.

4.89 GAA and .871 SV% so far this year.

I don’t want to be overconfident but…..

Let’s go Buffalo!

They also are last on PK in the league, from Buff News: 

The Wild may provide an opportunity for the Sabres to get going. Minnesota entered Thursday night’s game at the New York Rangers ranked last on the penalty kill (opponents are 13 of 39 on the power play).

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Great to see Dylan back! Happy to see Savoie, too 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I am here for any line with Savoie. I really am curious to see what he looks like with any of Mitts, Cozens, or Thompson. 

He practiced with Tage.  I expect Tuch to sit and Savioe to skate in his place.  If Tuch goes, I see him on the third line, in place of VO.

The Rangers dominated the 1st, the Wild dominated the 2nd but Dominque was fantastic, and then the Rangers got the lead on an overzealous Faber leading to a 2:1, then a PPG, then the empty netter.

Remember to play defense and skate fast. Possess the puck and draw penalties, and take advantage of their mistakes as the game goes on.

Mitts, Greenway, Jost, Tuch, Johnson (the Erik one), Johnson (the Ryan one), and Okposo...  all Minnesota-born, UM-played, or ex-Wild ready to have a good game.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Get the home ice gorilla off of their backs.

This, more than anything else, is what I need to see.  The Sabres can't be taken seriously until they start showing up at home determined and aggressive from the opening puck drop.  That has happened maybe 10% of the time last season and so far this season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Really interested in seeing how Savoie looks and if Johnson the Younger can continue to look as well as he has in his 1st 2 games.

Levi played well in TO.  Will be interested to see how he plays against a team that (from the stat sheets, haven't watched them yet this year) seems to play a wide open game that DOESN'T have a Matthews on it.

Also, presuming Tuch can't go, but Cozens can, am wondering if Cozens ends up centering Krebs and Rousek or if the 2nd line gets mixed in with his.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

FIFY.

What are you taking about?

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

FIFY.

I will disagree strongly with you on Buffalo being an AHL town and even more vigorously disagree about the ECHL arena.

The rest I agree with 100%.  Winning begets winning because the things that you need to do to win becomes habit until you lose enough talent.  My objection to The Tank was my belief that losing would become a habit -- and it has.  IMHO, the last part of The Tank that still hurts the team was first the atmosphere, then the attendance, now the record at home.  They get fixed in reverse order.  They seem to have a block between the ears that harms them badly at home.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

FIFY.

Ok @PASabreFan, you need some cheering up. 

AHL Town?   Sure, Buffalo is a small market, but Buffalo has the NFL, 13 NHL cities do not, we also had and supported the NBA too.  

ECHL Hockey arena? The place needs a renovation but its far beyond both ECHL or AHL levels. On top of that Harbor Center adjacent to it is a draw for college, Junior and youth hockey and tournaments.  It is a hockey town even without the NHL.  

JC game presentation?   I actually prefer the 60-70-80's style presentation instead of the over the top stuff that teams are doing.  They can improved this but I have been to games in other NHL  cities with fake piped in noise, Rick Flair Whooooo's, and stupid stuff that is a distraction from hockey.  

Luke Warm fan support?   We were promised Hockey Heaven and instead we got Pegula Purgatory.  We are still far from the days of rabid fans and no tickets available, but we can get it back by winning.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I will disagree strongly with you on Buffalo being an AHL town and even more vigorously disagree about the ECHL arena.

The rest I agree with 100%.  Winning begets winning because the things that you need to do to win becomes habit until you lose enough talent.  My objection to The Tank was my belief that losing would become a habit -- and it has.  IMHO, the last part of The Tank that still hurts the team was first the atmosphere, then the attendance, now the record at home.  They get fixed in reverse order.  They seem to have a block between the ears that harms them badly at home.

43 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ok @PASabreFan, you need some cheering up. 

AHL Town?   Sure, Buffalo is a small market, but Buffalo has the NFL, 13 NHL cities do not, we also had and supported the NBA too.  

ECHL Hockey arena? The place needs a renovation but its far beyond both ECHL or AHL levels. On top of that Harbor Center adjacent to it is a draw for college, Junior and youth hockey and tournaments.  It is a hockey town even without the NHL.  

JC game presentation?   I actually prefer the 60-70-80's style presentation instead of the over the top stuff that team are doing.  They can improved this but 
I have been to games in other NHL  cities with fake piped in noise, Rick Flair Whooooo's, and stupid stuff that is a distraction from hockey.  

Luke Warm fan support?   We were promised Hockey Heaven and instead we got Pegula Purgatory.  We are still far from the days of rabid fans and no tickets available, but we can get it back by winning.  

I don't consider Buffalo as an AHL town, but there are clearly struggles filling seats for Sabre games, especially in the lower bowl.  IMHO - there is a lot of "show me" skepticism and thinking where people will not spend $'s until they are convinced the team will show up and play a strong game (win or lose).  That said, even if they get back to winning ways at home, I have a fundamental question for those who still live in the area.....

Does a small market area like Buffalo have enough "wealth" in the region to fill the arena every game?  I'm not trying to insult anybody, but times are tough for a lot of families and I often wonder if there are enough people who have sufficient disposable income to sell out every game....especially the lower bowl seats.  The Bills sell out, but there's X amount of games for an entire season, much less than for a hockey team.  Again, not trying to offend anybody, but a genuine question if there's enough people who can afford to fill the arena every game.....assuming the team plays well enough to get people to WANT to come.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.