GDT: Wild @ Sabres - Nov 10, 2023 - 7:00pm, MSG-B/ESPN+📺WGR📻

LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I don't consider Buffalo as an AHL town, but there are clearly struggles filling seats for Sabre games, especially in the lower bowl.  IMHO - there is a lot of "show me" skepticism and thinking where people will not spend $'s until they are convinced the team will show up and play a strong game (win or lose).  That said, even if they get back to winning ways at home, I have a fundamental question for those who still live in the area.....

Does a small market area like Buffalo have enough "wealth" in the region to fill the arena every game?  I'm not trying to insult anybody, but times are tough for a lot of families and I often wonder if there are enough people who have sufficient disposable income to sell out every game....especially the lower bowl seats.  The Bills sell out, but there's X amount of games for an entire season, much less than for a hockey team.  Again, not trying to offend anybody, but a genuine question if there's enough people who can afford to fill the arena every game.....assuming the team plays well enough to get people to WANT to come.

The place where the Sabres have a problem is corporate money for the luxury boxes -- they belong to smaller companies that can not pay the gigantic amounts that corporations in other cities can afford.

For the rest of the arena, the money is out there in WNY.  For instance, I know several people who make enough to get multiple full season tickets to the 200 level but won't do so since the pandemic because of how lacklustre the team has been.  They would not be fooled by a Patrick Kane signing or a multitude of UFA signings until it tangibly helps the team make the playoffs.  Some feel like they have been wasting their money starting with The Tank and were fooled be management over the years and are rather bitter about it.  I can't blame them.

• Thanks (+1) 1

We can win this game and we sort of have to win this game. If you want to make the playoffs you can accept a loss here or there to a top tier team but you have got to vanquish the opponents that are at or below your level. And they are no better than us right now. maybe worse. Can't afford to not get these points. 

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

I don't consider Buffalo as an AHL town, but there are clearly struggles filling seats for Sabre games, especially in the lower bowl.  IMHO - there is a lot of "show me" skepticism and thinking where people will not spend $'s until they are convinced the team will show up and play a strong game (win or lose).  That said, even if they get back to winning ways at home, I have a fundamental question for those who still live in the area.....

Does a small market area like Buffalo have enough "wealth" in the region to fill the arena every game?  I'm not trying to insult anybody, but times are tough for a lot of families and I often wonder if there are enough people who have sufficient disposable income to sell out every game....especially the lower bowl seats.  The Bills sell out, but there's X amount of games for an entire season, much less than for a hockey team.  Again, not trying to offend anybody, but a genuine question if there's enough people who can afford to fill the arena every game.....assuming the team plays well enough to get people to WANT to come.

I mean, I have the means and yet when I look at ticket prices I'm like.. GTFO.  I looked at the Penguins game post Thanksgiving and the cheapest seat was $70.  Not a chance.

It really makes little sense from a pricing sensitivity and economic sense to not create a pricing schedule that gets butts in seats.

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Find a way. 

Such a great tradition. Yet another way hockey stands out compared to other sports.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

This keeps coming up.  I don’t live there anymore, left when I was 23,  but I go there a lot in my middle agedness. Love the place. 

My only answer is Buffalo supported both the Bills and the Sabres with capacity crowds the norm, plus the Braves and Little 3 basketball, and they did it in the prior century.   I would think they are better economically today than in the 70’s.  

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

The place where the Sabres have a problem is corporate money for the luxury boxes -- they belong to smaller companies that can not pay the gigantic amounts that corporations in other cities can afford.

For the rest of the arena, the money is out there in WNY.  For instance, I know several people who make enough to get multiple full season tickets to the 200 level but won't do so since the pandemic because of how lacklustre the team has been.  They would not be fooled by a Patrick Kane signing or a multitude of UFA signings until it tangibly helps the team make the playoffs.  Some feel like they have been wasting their money starting with The Tank and were fooled be management over the years and are rather bitter about it.  I can't blame them.

So how do the Bills figure to draw big corporations for the new billion dollar stadium then? Don't forget about all the PSLs (personal $eat license) the fans will have to shell out too on top of the season ticket prices.

Not attacking your post, Marvin, but it seems it just isn't viable for WNY to have endless corporate money.

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

The arena will sell out on the regular when it's worth selling out for. It was always sold out during the Lindy years and the season ticket waiting list was obnoxiously long.

The economy is fine here relatively speaking. All one has to do is look at the home record over the past 10 years to understand why home attendance is lacking..

Good Evening Teammates, Punch checking in.  

Opportunity knocks tonight.  I want them to go out and get this game, and get the crowd excited.  

Hockey fights cancer, an event I love about the NHL. 

Good Anthems   

Go Sabres!!!  
MUSCLE WEIGHT 

Just now, ... said:

The arena will sell out on the regular when it's worth selling out for. It was always sold out during the Lindy years and the season ticket waiting list was obnoxiously long.

The economy is fine here relatively speaking. All one has to do is look at the home record over the past 10 years to understand why home attendance is lacking..

No. Not always. As a 19 year STH I was at many many Lindy Ruff games where the attendance was poor and the team was poor.

I agree that winning will bring those sellouts back!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.