Chychrun to Ottawa

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Trying to remind myself that the deadline hasn’t passed and probably that Chychrun wasn’t a great fit here but damn it would have been fun !

who else is out there ?  

Hard to say. It's been such a whirlwind but Fabbro? 

I care less about the specific player and more that every other team we're competing for the playoffs with is getting better while we lose Tuch and Dahlin and we've only brought in....a 3rd round pick and Stillman.

Still two days left to do something so I'll keep the pitchfork corked for now.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Watching Ottawa do it sucks, ya

At some point, if everyone is zigging, zagging is just the better odds play. Unfortunately, I think we’re probably there re: this deadline. At this point we probably just sit it out 

who knows though 

We have a team run by our  GM.  His job is to make this team better.  Our team has performed beyond expectations and the GM has not made moves to improve them as of yet.  Players have been traded to other teams, and we had resources to match or beat those trades.  But we didn’t.  

Summary:  our GM’s priority is not to make  our team better right now.  

If we miss the playoffs again, and if Ottawa and Detroit pass us in the standings, then our GM failed big time.  

But hey, we get a better draft pick. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

I care less about the specific player and more that every other team we're competing for the playoffs with is getting better while we lose Tuch and Dahlin and we've only brought in....a 3rd round pick and Stillman.

Still two days left to do something so I'll keep the pitchfork corked for now.

I think I'm in that ship with you. 

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We have a team run by our  GM.  His job is to make this team better.  Our team has performed beyond expectations and the GM has not made moves to improve them as of yet.  Players have been traded other teams and we had resources to match or beat those trades.  But we didn’t.  

Summary:  our GM’s priority is not to make  our team better right now.  

If we miss the playoffs again, and if Ottawa and Detroit pass us in the standings, then our GM failed big time.  

But hey, we get a better draft pick. 

At this point honestly I just hope he’s willing and able to take some true swings this offseason, I’ve kinda given up on the deadline 

I’ll be pretty thoroughly disenfranchised with an offseason similar to last, with more development being touted

need to see some proactive action reflective of the fact playoffs are the goal and expectation, and not just something we are hoping eventually appears as a symptom of process

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

That's kind of the point, Ottawa's picks will probably be better than ours. We would have had to give up more to top the Sens offer 

No guarantee.  Ottawa is only 2 points behind us and we have one game in hand but a harder schedule.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No guarantee.  Ottawa is only 2 points behind us and we have one game in hand but a harder schedule.  

Of course, it’s sports so nothing is guaranteed . But I’d wager our future is brighter than theirs. Sabres look like a team on the rise, Ottawa, maybe, maybe not 

3 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Well we just got screwed.... not only we do not get,  someone trying to pass us gets him.  If KA does nothing,  hell will break loose

Lol no, im glad we didn't get him, no need for another top LHD (already got 3) and often injured, easy pass.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Lol no, im glad we didn't get him, no need for another top LHD (already got 3) and often injured, easy pass.

I don't mind that he didn't take a swing at this.  For me its about the role on the team and the cost.

First, what are you going to be paying him for the next 5-7 years. Next how much ice time will he be getting.  I KNOW you can pair him with Power or Dahlin and they would be better than pairing either of those guys with a lesser player. But you CAN pair those guys with a lesser player (not an AWFUL player, but a lesser player).  Pair Chychrun with Dahlin or Power (once power has a couple years more experinece) and you are going to be getting a better pair than having them with someone else, but likely not SO much better that the money will be worth it.

To me the Key to this D-unit is to have Power and Dahline eventually be on the ice for 75-80% of the time between them, and find somone to pair with each of them that you can pay in the $3-$4 million dollar range....freeing up the rest of that money for use elsewhere.

People who are all up in arms about not 'topping' the ottawa deal aren't putting much thought into who will be paired with who, will it be worth the ice time and the money you spend....oh, and by the way, exactly what will not equal, but TOP the ottawa  offer to ensure you get him and then deal with the other things I mentioned above?

Then, there is also the chance, not definite but the chance, where he didn't want to go to a team where he would be the #3 guy in the D-corp. I'm not saying he would refuse the Sabres, but he might prefer a team where he was going to be the #1 guy. The guy who gets top PP minutes, the guy who gets top ice time. The guy who is on the ice for all the critical situations.  In Ottawa he has Chabot above him only, and in a year or so he just might take the #1 spot from him. Thats not going to happen in Buffalo.  If Ottawa had 2 similar offers from buffalo and Ottaway, they may have gone to him and asked him where he wanted to go, and as much as he has a supposed relationship with the Pegulas, he might want to go the place where he will be "The Guy" and get "The Guy" money.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The idea of having more season ticket holders than the Hershey Bears next season was fun while it lasted. Never underestimate this organization's ability to piss away any bit of goodwill or credibility it starts to build up.

Well, that and severe overreaction.

Just now, klos1963 said:

Shouldn't matter. If Johnson couldn't beat out Bryson or Clague, he's not worth it.

Don't see his concern being an inability to beat out the 7/8 guys on the roster, but rather the Sabres being 4 deep in top 4 LH D-men for the forseeable future and the corresponding depression on his future earnings while an RFA with that in front of him.  (And that even presupposes that it was/would've been a concern for him.  Not a given, pretty sure the poster was merely speculating.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Well we just got screwed.... not only we do not get,  someone trying to pass us gets him.  If KA does nothing,  hell will break loose

What does hell breaking loose entail?  A few dozen cleverly worded mean tweets?

I'm going to be in the minority that isn't bothered by this at all. Not bothered if they don't make any big trade. I'm with others(perhaps not that many) that Chychrun just wasn't worth what Ottawa gave up.. let alone paying more than that.

I can understand why people are upset.. but so far the management of the team has not deviated from their course. Having expectation that they will is probably driving some people insane.  I don't expect anything big because so far they haven't done anything big, they've not indicated they want to do anything big.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

I'm going to be in the minority that isn't bothered by this at all. Not bothered if they don't make any big trade. I'm with others(perhaps not that many) that Chychrun just wasn't worth what Ottawa gave up.. let alone paying more than that.

I can understand why people are upset.. but so far the management of the team has not deviated from their course. Having expectation that they will is probably driving some people insane.  I don't expect anything big because so far they haven't done anything big, they've not indicated they want to do anything big.

No plan survives contact with the enemy. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.