GDT: Canadiens @ Sabres, 7pm 10/27/22, msg wgr

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

Fanbase is not buying into the direction of the team.  Franchise is losing a generation of fans.  

Maybe not so dire a position.......but its more like that it is going to take a lot more convincing than a 3-1 Western road, a 4-3 start or the strong late '21-22 season finish. They are going to have to play well for a full season and maybe two with a playoff appearance before that place is full capacity and loud again

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The only time the Sabres looked actually dangerous was when they were on the penalty kill.

I liked their play in between the blue lines,* but again, I didn't get to see the whole game.

*Barry Melrose taught me in 1994 that this is called the "neutral zone."

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I’m the idiot who drops the money for seasons so nobody to blame but myself 

I have season tickets too, I'm right there with you.

I love hockey, even when the Sabres suck and YES, I want them to be better and YES, I want the NHL in my city 

• Agree 1

Watched on sportsnet premium and they couldn’t even get the picture and play by play matched up. It was maddening. As for the game the Habs either don’t appear as bad as people claim or the Sabres aren’t quite as good as we would like to believe. I think they are somewhere in between. 

12 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Watched on sportsnet premium and they couldn’t even get the picture and play by play matched up. It was maddening. As for the game the Habs either don’t appear as bad as people claim or the Sabres aren’t quite as good as we would like to believe. I think they are somewhere in between. 

Sabres really miss Mule... his break out passes and clearing the puck in front of the net.  Dahlin was the only physical one out there... Power needs to gain 30lbs and Sabres passing in general sucks.  Second best D was Bryson and that is not good enough.  Lubeskin (lol) must still be hurting because he is playing like a shadow of his first couple games.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why? Why should anyone be exempt from anything? That's not how you build a winning culture. 

Sitting Mitts would have been a solid decision and we'd all have applauded it. It's what teams like the Bruins would have done. But okay, so you don't want to sit him because he's.............too valuable?...........too fragile?................whatever Granato's reason move on to who sits if you want Krebs in. 

Asplund? The guy who has played solid hockey all season and earned his spot? Earned an upgrade from the 4th line to the 2nd. Arguably made Mitts and VO instantly look better? What does that tell him? Oh we don't really think you're an important part of this team.

It's dumb. It's dumb. It's just plain dumb. It's Sabres. 

Quinn and Krebs should be rotating in to the 4th line until one of them shows signs of being something. That's it. Either that, or sit slackers.  I just don't get this at all. 

Why?  Go ask Granato.  

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So, let's see, we just lost to the team everybody said was tanking for Bedard and would finish dead last in the division. Okay, great. 

You know, I'm thinking Quinn and Krebs are so damn impressive they should get ALL the ice time. 

Stupid team. As ever. 

The Avs lost at home to a team trying to be worse than the expansion Caps that plays their home games in an arena roughly the size of the one in Elmira where an FPHL team plays.

Only saw the first 2 periods.  The Sabres appeared to be playing well enough to win.  They seemed to be spending more time on the attack than Montreal.  But the Sabres never really appeared to be dangerous, and when Montreal did sustain an attack we didn’t seem to be able to reliably break it up.

With better puck luck this game is ours, but we shouldn’t have to rely on puck luck. We just weren’t dangerous enough.

And I’ve seen enough evidence that Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa, and probably Detroit are a helluva lot closer to each other than we wanted to believe.  This is going to be a dog fight.  We’ll find out how many dogs we actually have on the roster.

Right now I think we are two short.  The good thing is, I think Mule is one of them.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So, let's see, we just lost to the team everybody said was tanking for Bedard and would finish dead last in the division. Okay, great. 

You know, I'm thinking Quinn and Krebs are so damn impressive they should get ALL the ice time. 

Stupid team. As ever. 

I thought Quinn had his best game as a Sabre. Drew penalties, had some chances, got an assist on a great pass. His backchecking was pretty good all night. Hope he builds on that. 

• Like (+1) 2

• SDS unpinned this topic

I did not see one minute of the game nor did I watch the highlights.  

This is based just in the score sheet.

It appears that the Sabres played well enough to win and lost on a late goal.  That's fine, IMO.  I don't like it when they lose, but these things happen in the NHL.

Seven games in and they have won more than lost.  They have played only one dud.

The Sabres will be fine if they keep up the effort.

Ok.... was going to post last night but decided to wait until my anger was diminished. Some thoughts and observations from the game:

- Our PP is too predictable with zero creativity other then feed Goaloffson and Tage. That needs to change ASAP

- As much as folks say it was just a puck luck game that we should have won...... not buying that. When the Habs penned the Sabres in, it was for long periods of time. They created their own puck luck!!! We would would get into their zone and be one and done. Yes, we had a ton of shots, but a lot of them their goalie could easily see and NOBODY parks in front of the net!!!

- We looked small and undersized next to Montreal and did not win a lot of the board battles.

- We suck at faceoffs when it counts

- Same old Sabres: always panics when a heavy forecheck happens.

- Team overall looked ungodly slow: Maybe lag from trip, but not the first game i have seen this.

I know only a few games in and i will watch win or lose, but some things were changed from last year that were working well. Some smaller tweaks and we should be ok as the season progresses and the kids develop. On a side note, i love what i have seen from Comrie. Once we are back to normal on our Defense he will be awesome!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.