GDT: Canadiens @ Sabres, 7pm 10/27/22, msg wgr

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Good game, bad result. Still stuff to fix but we were the better team tonight. I'm hockey though that doesn't always matter. Gotta keep working to be better though and they have a pp and some d zone things to work on. 

Okay I'm out. Team stormcloud needs to blow itself out with overreacting so have at it. 

I really don’t understand how you watch hockey.

We did not outplay Montreal and certainly did not deserve to win but for some bad puck luck. Talk about cliche.

They outwork us. Period. The Sabres were reaching and chasing the entire game,… even when they were “dominating”.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Good game, bad result. Still stuff to fix but we were the better team tonight. I'm hockey though that doesn't always matter. Gotta keep working to be better though and they have a pp and some d zone things to work on. 

Okay I'm out. Team stormcloud needs to blow itself out with overreacting so have at it. 

Will do same , 3 more hours at work anyway 🙂

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I caught a good part of the first and most of the second.  Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised at the energy level.  They weren't dead at all.  

Granato's rotation theory or whatever remains suspect--he should ice the best team he can every night IMO--but they didn't look terrible.

You can just say it.  It'll be ok.  You miss him.

His stache tickled. And I couldn't be mad for long that time he put my hand in warm water as I slept. The tears are gone. Just good memories remain. Oh, Wilford.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I really don’t understand how you watch hockey.

We did not outplay Montreal and certainly did not deserve to win but for some bad puck luck. Talk about cliche.

They outwork us. Period. The Sabres were reaching and chasing the entire game,… even when they were “dominating”.

I'm sure someone Tweetered a chart.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There was a game earlier this year where the pull was late too. I guess it was the Florida game 

For whatever the reason I often times think back to our first home ice game against the Thrashers when the goalie is pulled. We had a 4-1 lead with fourish minutes left and Atlanta pulled the goalie. Ended up being a 4-3 game but I’ll always remember “***** it lets leave the net empty and see what happens.”

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We are not going to suck. At least not by design.  No way will I watch them if the ever do that again. 

I am already concerned about attendance at home.   I watched 4 minutes of hockey tonight and it looked and sounded like a Montreal home game.  

This group has to figure out how to climb up to playing respectable hockey and be consistently hard to play against.  I want to get the fans back.  

It was a joke based on a misspelling. I agree with paragraph two and three. Let’s win some games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We are not going to suck. At least not by design.  No way will I watch them if the ever do that again. 

I am already concerned about attendance at home.   I watched 4 minutes of hockey tonight and it looked and sounded like a Montreal home game.  

This group has to figure out how to climb up to playing respectable hockey and be consistently hard to play against.  I want to get the fans back.  

Unfortunately 2 out of 3 home games being losses ain’t gonna help

• Like (+1) 1

I think 4-3 through the first 7 games is certainly good enough for a time period in which Tage Thompson, our 1C, has 3 points. Should he regain form, I think we'll be ok. If he doesn't regain form, our record in these games doesn't matter anyways as we won't have a shot at anything close to playoffs. 

I'm pretty sure his production rate will increase. 

Edited by Thorny

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Harsh take: Granato deer in the headlights in crunch time won't be so forgivable if games ever matter.

Agree… Had no plan… Wasted time looking around and talking to his Asst behind his notes… Whatever plan they came up with to pull Cromie… it failed miserably… 

Just now, Curt said:

Missed the game.  From looking at the statistics, it looks like the Sabres outplayed them, but their goalie kept out more pucks than our goalie.  Is that what it looked like for those watching?

Without Comrie in net, Montreal might have had 2-3 more. Montreal’s goalie made the saves he had to but I don’t think we mad it difficult on him. We had some nice stretches of zone play but they were fruitless

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Seeing the roster, Who didn’t expect peaks and valleys throughout the season?  I certainly expected it. 

Agreed.  Too many holes yet.  I still think 2 years until we can think playoffs.  Many of the guys that will take us there are still developing and not with the team yet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Missed the game.  From looking at the statistics, it looks like it was a pretty evenly played game, but their goalie kept out more pucks than our goalie.  Is that what it looked like for those watching?

First goal was a fluke. I thought we had prolonged stretches of dominate hockey but we just couldn’t make it happen. Seems like there’s some disagreement about our play but I think we outplayed them. 

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

They look like an 84 point team so far.  Whether that is trending up or down is a matter of opinion.

I know others disagree (the polls say as much) but I would be happy with 84 points this season. 

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You can't be so tone deaf as to not understand why this franchise doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. No moral victories.

It's hockey, there are a lot of games. There will be a decent amount of games where you play well and lose due to some bad bounces or a hot goalie, and other games where you deserve to lose but win due to some lucky bounces or hot goaltending of your own.

I think the majority of posters have watched hockey long enough to realize games like tonight are not unusual, and the biggest thing is to play consistently well as it will lead to more wins than losses in the long run over the season.

6 minutes ago, jad1 said:

They look like an 84 point team so far.  Whether that is trending up or down is a matter of opinion.

I'm on record expecting 87-90 points this year

Edited by matter2003

30 minutes ago, shrader said:

This is where we find out if they’re a new team or not. The typical Sabres turn a stretch like this into a 5 or 6 game losing streak. 

I was talking about this same thing with my son earlier today.  I said they need to be super careful coming into tonight.  Because you can’t have the Seattle loss turn into losing 3 of the next 4, or losing 5 of 7, etc.. 

We knew it would be tough in this game coming off the West coast.  That first game back is always hard.  But they played well. just didn’t bury their chances.  Needed to get this game to OT and couldn’t.  Reminded me of so many losses last Fall.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.