Rasmus Ristolainen traded to Philadelphia for LHD Hagg, 2021 1st (14), and a 2023 2nd

Thorny

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Welcome!!

(back??)

Sent you a beer ... 

Thanks! Right back at you!

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/

if you go to this page and open the teams' pages from the standings list into new tabs, you can see the leading scorers on each team to get an idea of who scores. I do this after each quarter of the season to ground myself in what's going on. Anyone you're intrigued about, hit youtube to watch them play a bit to get a sense of their game.

This is awesome, thank you very much!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Lol, looks like it. I moved out of the country and only had enough energy and willingness to accept punishment in me to follow the Bills from abroad. I decided I missed Hockey and have been trying to read up to get a decent idea of who is who in the league now but it's a bit daunting. It does seem like I picked a decent time to take off though, we seem to be not great from all accounts. 

'Not great from all accounts' ... you could say that, yup.  In fact, we stink, stank and stunk and then some.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Hello all! Returning to follow the team after taking like a decade off from watching hockey. From surfing the board are we expecting a Reinhart trade as well today?

Welcome back.  Let us hope you are a harbinger of better days for the franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dahlin ???

Bryson Jokiharju

Hagg Miller

That’s our depth chart right now.

Holy mackerel.  I guess that's what happens when you subtract Risto, Borgen, Bogo, Scandella and Montour in a big hurry, after the previous bozo GM spent way too much time and resources accumulating a glut of defensemen.

In any case it sure looks like Samuelsson will be on the Sabres next year, and perhaps Power as well.

3 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Hello all! Returning to follow the team after taking like a decade off from watching hockey. From surfing the board are we expecting a Reinhart trade as well today?

Welcome back. 

You did not miss much from the Sabres other than having your hopes and dreams crushed every year.  Had some optimism when we drafted Eichel and traded for O'Reilly but.................

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Holy mackerel.  I guess that's what happens when you subtract Risto, Borgen, Bogo, Scandella and Montour in a big hurry, after the previous bozo GM spent way too much time and resources accumulating a glut of defensemen.

In any case it sure looks like Samuelsson will be on the Sabres next year, and perhaps Power as well.

I suspect they will bring in a couple guys via trade or free agency 

6 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Well, we did have Eric Staal last season. Brian Gionta was here a few years ago.

Who did you have in mind? Reggie Dunlop?

Right, because a 24 year old Eichel is the same as a washed up 38 year old Staal, or a 40 year old Gionta.

And a I would take Dunlop as a player coach if he wasn't, you know, dead.

25 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Right, because a 24 year old Eichel is the same as a washed up 38 year old Staal, or a 40 year old Gionta.

And a I would take Dunlop as a player coach if he wasn't, you know, dead.

Well, you brought up Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane. Most teams will have their age differences in the roster - regardless of their power rankings or the lack thereof.

Many years from now, you'll look back at this and see that the Sabres will have a season or two of a similar Keith/Kane combination, along with a Stanley Cup Champion banner.

1 hour ago, Crosschecking said:

Well, you brought up Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane. Most teams will have their age differences in the roster - regardless of their power rankings or the lack thereof.

Many years from now, you'll look back at this and see that the Sabres will have a season or two of a similar Keith/Kane combination, along with a Stanley Cup Champion banner.

I think we're saying the same thing.

Trading Eichel based on the belief  that he has aged-out of a younger core is asinine. 

That's why I brought up Keith and Kane. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I will miss Risto, but I’m happy for him. Gave everything he had for this team and deserves a chance to play in a situation where he will be appreciated.

The return was about what you’d expect for Risto if analytics had never been invented. Since analytics have been invented, this trade makes me wonder if analytics are what Twitter thinks they are.

As well as I think Adams did on this trade, it makes the Sabres worse right now and chances are Risto will be the best player in it.

I wonder who will have a better next three seasons: Robert Hagg or Will Borgen? Hagg isn’t even two years older, and has played respectable minutes in a similar role for the past 4 years.

Hagg always struck me as a Dick Smehlik type - an OK stay-at-home defenceman who gets overused by his coach and over-hated by a vocal portion of his fan base. Hope Samuelsson makes him redundant, but I like him better than Irwin.

It’s easy to overlook the 2nd-rounder, but it’s nice to have and we will appreciate it a lot more in a year or two, however it’s used.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

This is a great breakdown of the trade from the Flyers’ perspective with excellent analysis of the different views of Risto:

https://theathletic.com/2726069/2021/07/24/flyers-go-all-in-on-rasmus-ristolainen-is-he-worth-the-huge-price-that-gm-chuck-fletcher-paid/?source=user_shared_article

It touches on the “Sabre stink” factor:

“ the soul-crushing effect of Buffalo might be real, especially in recent years. Taylor Hall scored two goals in 37 games with the Sabres this season, only to pot eight in 16 after being traded. Skinner had one great season in Buffalo and then fell off a cliff. Defenseman Brandon Montour went from a break-even play-driver in his first two seasons in Anaheim to a statistical dumpster fire in Buffalo — and then graded out great by the numbers after being traded to Florida. Colin Miller went from advanced-stat favorite in Vegas to dud with the Sabres. It is possible that, just maybe, as Fletcher hinted, the Sabres are uniquely incompetent when it comes to extracting value out of players, with the exceptions of ones who are simply too talented to ruin, like Eichel.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

This is a great breakdown of the trade from the Flyers’ perspective with excellent analysis of the different views of Risto:

https://theathletic.com/2726069/2021/07/24/flyers-go-all-in-on-rasmus-ristolainen-is-he-worth-the-huge-price-that-gm-chuck-fletcher-paid/?source=user_shared_article

“ the soul-crushing effect of Buffalo might be real, especially in recent years. Taylor Hall scored two goals in 37 games with the Sabres this season, only to pot eight in 16 after being traded. Skinner had one great season in Buffalo and then fell off a cliff. Defenseman Brandon Montour went from a break-even play-driver in his first two seasons in Anaheim to a statistical dumpster fire in Buffalo — and then graded out great by the numbers after being traded to Florida. Colin Miller went from advanced-stat favorite in Vegas to dud with the Sabres. It is possible that, just maybe, as Fletcher hinted, the Sabres are uniquely incompetent when it comes to extracting value out of players, with the exceptions of ones who are simply too talented to ruin, like Eichel.”

The one constant that entire time period?  25 minutes a night from Ristolainen 

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

There are many reasons why over the years the Sabres have fallen by the wayside. The organization has displayed many facets to the concept of incompetence. The soul-crushing that happened last year had a lot to do with Krueger and his anachronistic approach to the game. Shortly after he was dispatched there was a stunning display in the difference of what he had done and how the team transitioned out of its collective depression after the coaching change was made. 

13 minutes ago, realtruelove said:

He sounded like Captain material.

I always liked Risto. He's a hard worker on and off season and gave the Sabres everything he had every shift.

It's the results that I didn't like sometimes. 

Just now, Norcal said:

I always liked Risto. He's a hard worker on and off season and gave the Sabres everything he had every shift.

It's the results that I didn't like sometimes. 

And I could well be wrong but I don't see him suddenly excelling elsewhere.  Hockey sense/instincts is hard to improve upon by this point in his career.  There were just too many times throughout his career where he clearly didn't see what was happening around him or react quickly enough.  He just lacks "it."

Just now, Cascade Youth said:

And I could well be wrong but I don't see him suddenly excelling elsewhere.  Hockey sense/instincts is hard to improve upon by this point in his career.  There were just too many times throughout his career where he clearly didn't see what was happening around him or react quickly enough.  He just lacks "it."

Try as he might, it just never seemed to click. Wish him well, against everybody but Buffalo.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Rasmus leaves the Sabres 6th all-time in points by a defenceman with 245 and 9th in games played with 542.

It also places him 37th all-time in points for any player (29th in assists) as well as 26th in games played.

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Rasmus leaves the Sabres 6th all-time in points by a defenceman with 245 and 9th in games played with 542.

21 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It also places him 37th all-time in points for any player (29th in assists) as well as 26th in games played.

On a team built to lose for two years.

He sucks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.