Eichel's Agent Says Team/Player Heading Toward "Resolution"

Hoss

So ... what does it mean?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the "resolution" is referring to?

• A trade is near
    • A plan to return to the team next year is near
    • He meant exclusively about the neck issue and was not commenting on his status with the team

43 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The cervical spine... Still spinal surgery... Actually C1-C7 is more dangerous than the rest of the thoracic or lumbar spine. 

It's a surgery on the disc which is putting pressure on the cervical spine though, no? So obviously it's a surgery that relates to the health of the spine but not a surgery on the spine? I'm not an expert here so I may be out to lunch.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It's a surgery on the disc which is putting pressure on the cervical spine though, no? So obviously it's a surgery that relates to the health of the spine but not a surgery on the spine? I'm not an expert here so I may be out to lunch.

The big parts of the spine of the discs and the vertebrae.  Although part of the nervous system, I think most people would consider the nerves in the sheath running down the spine to be a part of that too. 

Operating on a spinal disc is spine surgery.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

I have never questioned Eichel's effort. I don't know anyone who can legitimately say he never gave full effort.

It was questioned this year, and then everyone brushed that aside with the injury narrative . as in he must have been injured before the season started. 

So, I will just ask you this, do you honestly in your heart and or mind think Eichel still wants to be in Buffalo next season? 

1 hour ago, SDS said:

The big parts of the spine of the discs and the vertebrae.  Although part of the nervous system, I think most people would consider the nerves in the sheath running down the spine to be a part of that too. 

Operating on a spinal disc is spine surgery.

Learning Take Note GIF by BLoafX

As someone who had a neck injury in high school (was minor but as with neck/spine stuff I was told I was centimeters from being paralyzed) I should probably have just acknowledged this is a very tricky and dangerous spot to be in.

Edited by Hoss

51 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It was questioned this year, and then everyone brushed that aside with the injury narrative . as in he must have been injured before the season started. 

So, I will just ask you this, do you honestly in your heart and or mind think Eichel still wants to be in Buffalo next season? 

Eichel was injured before the season. He missed a lot of training camp. It was reported locally, nationally and discussed here plenty. He then was further injured shortly into the season as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Eichel was injured before the season. He missed a lot of training camp. It was reported locally, nationally and discussed here plenty. He then was further injured shortly into the season as well. 

Sure. Maybe. Why not. I don't care. His words and attitude in that "disconnect" press conference told me he doesn't want to be here and also he shouldn't be here. 

I'm going to tell you flat out, disagree if you want to, but if Eichel is NOT traded, this team is doomed. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sure. Maybe. Why not. I don't care. His words and attitude in that "disconnect" press conference told me he doesn't want to be here and also he shouldn't be here. 

I'm going to tell you flat out, disagree if you want to, but if Eichel is NOT traded, this team is doomed. 

If they trade him you know it's going to be for a completely underwhelming futures package (IE: Guys who at best won't be meaningful NHL players for at least a few years (if ever)) and that there is an excellent chance this team wins fewer than 20 games right? 

19 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

He might flourish under Granato even more than he has in the past.

On the other hand, he might be worse. Granato may be a coach who focuses on giving the 'young' guys a chance in key spots, letting them get confidence on the PP when they normally wouldn't.  Granato may want those younger guys to take key minutes as a way for them to develop. IF that was/is the case, that would mean Eichel would get a little less chance/less ice time in those situations than he has in the past.

Sounds like Harvey Johnson’s coaching philosophy with the Juice🤮

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

He might flourish under Granato even more than he has in the past.

On the other hand, he might be worse. Granato may be a coach who focuses on giving the 'young' guys a chance in key spots, letting them get confidence on the PP when they normally wouldn't.  Granato may want those younger guys to take key minutes as a way for them to develop. IF that was/is the case, that would mean Eichel would get a little less chance/less ice time in those situations than he has in the past.

Eichel is 24

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

How many people would be satisfied with being mired in a losing and dysfunctional work environment that has gone on during their employment? It would be abnormal and even disappointing if Jack or anyone else was accepting to such an environment. Jack is passionate about the sport and intensely competitive. There is no one who works harder in the offseason to prepare for the season. (Maybe too hard to his physical detriment.) 

There is a portrayal of him that he is being selfish and disloyal and maneuvering to jump ship. What he wants more than anything is to be in a situation where he has a fair chance to be on a competitive team. While injured and watching the games from his couch what did he see? He saw a team that quit under a coach who was not fit to be a NHL coach. Last year under Krueger the Sabres didn't even look like a normal NHL team. They were atrociously bad and unwatchable. The team ending up having the worst record in the league. And this is after he had been on the team for four or five? years. Not only is that not progress it is regression. And still people want him to have a sunny side  disposition. That in itself is weird. 

Maybe this is a situation where he and the team reached a point where it is in everyone's interest to move on and get a fresh start. But make no mistake this befuddled organization squandered an opportunity to build around one of the best players in the game. The main culprit here is the organization that not only failed him but also the fans. Ineptitude is costly!

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 4

The reason it isn't that simple, @PerreaultForever, is that you presume a certain mindset in Eichel. 

Perhaps at the time of the presser, that frame of mind was accurate.  But if the Sabres flat out tell Eichel they don't plan to trade him EVER, or if they don't get the return they want, or whatever, what choice does Eichel have? 

He *could* choose to sabotage the Sabres and in so doing sabotage his own career, or he could realize that doing so will make him a lot of money but he'll never get the shot he wants at the Stanley Cup while he's in his prime.  He signed a contract with the Sabres; he needs to be prepared to execute that contract with the Sabres

He may feel (and I can't blame him) that up until now the Sabres have not done enough to ice a winning team.  If KA-Granato are finally the people to drag the Sabres out of the cellar, do you really think Eichel will torpedo that?

He might.  But that is just one of many scenarios that could play out if he stays.  If they keep both Eichel and Reinhart and get some goaltending help, I see a likely scenario of the Sabres competing for and earning a playoff spot this year.  I think it's less likely, but if they keep Eich and move Reino it could still pan out, depending on the return for Reino.

If the Sabres get a crappy return for Eichel, that could just as easily doom this team for years to come.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Eichel is 24

I love the fact that Ristolainen has been talked about as "young and developing, with more to give" as old as 26 but Eichel does not get the same grace period and Dahlin has certainly not gotten that. I've basically come to the conclusion that it was ppl delusional about what Risto is trying to convince themselves some other version was coming. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The reason it isn't that simple, @PerreaultForever, is that you presume a certain mindset in Eichel. 

Perhaps at the time of the presser, that frame of mind was accurate.  But if the Sabres flat out tell Eichel they don't plan to trade him EVER, or if they don't get the return they want, or whatever, what choice does Eichel have? 

He *could* choose to sabotage the Sabres and in so doing sabotage his own career, or he could realize that doing so will make him a lot of money but he'll never get the shot he wants at the Stanley Cup while he's in his prime.  He signed a contract with the Sabres; he needs to be prepared to execute that contract with the Sabres

He may feel (and I can't blame him) that up until now the Sabres have not done enough to ice a winning team.  If KA-Granato are finally the people to drag the Sabres out of the cellar, do you really think Eichel will torpedo that?

He might.  But that is just one of many scenarios that could play out if he stays.  If they keep both Eichel and Reinhart and get some goaltending help, I see a likely scenario of the Sabres competing for and earning a playoff spot this year.  I think it's less likely, but if they keep Eich and move Reino it could still pan out, depending on the return for Reino.

If the Sabres get a crappy return for Eichel, that could just as easily doom this team for years to come.

I don't think the Sabres want to be that team known throughout the league as sticking it to a star player.  And I don't think Adams wants the problem on his hands long term, because word gets out (and probably already has) that Buffalo treats players poorly if they choose that option.  Youth movement or not, that makes a rebuild even more difficult.   

10 hours ago, SabresVet said:

I don't think the Sabres want to be that team known throughout the league as sticking it to a star player.  And I don't think Adams wants the problem on his hands long term, because word gets out (and probably already has) that Buffalo treats players poorly if they choose that option.  Youth movement or not, that makes a rebuild even more difficult.   

Again, you assume that nothing can make Eichel want to be here. Winning fixes a lot of things.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Some would think this way (you obviously) and others (me) think that when you put on a jersey you should feel pride and feel you owe it to those people that save their extra pennies to attend games or use hockey as a happy escape from life issues or all the other reasons we watch sports and attend games and invest our time in this stuff, and I might add that's exactly what Granato was talking about (just saying) but yes, before I ramble too much, these rich bastards owe the fans for their privileged lives. If they don't feel that F them and show them the door. 

We, the fans, owe Jack nothing. He's a ***** if he thinks otherwise. 

Sorry if that comes off bitchy, but the idea that fans owe athletes annoys me. 

and you believe what GMs say?

So if you were Jack, what would you have said to the fans? 

You dont sound bitchy to me, i just think we see this differently as you've already mentioned.
I honestly think the picture is bigger than you, me and Jack. It must be hard to feel pride of wearing jearsey of the worst team in NHL, it just cant be any pride in that at all and i really hope he feels that way. Real changes have to be made to even provide grounds for 'pride' in this trash organisation and that is my firm belief. 

Pride is earned, both ways, not just by money but with mutual respect between employeer and employee, we dont pay jack remember that, we pay Buffalo Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Playing hurt is a good reason not to be at the top of your game.

No, I don't think Eichel wants to be in Buffalo next season,also,  i think if you privately asked every player on this team if they would rather play elsewhere, they would all say yes.  We already know Reinhart and Risto would be ok with a change, doesn't sound like Ulmark is too keen on returning as his top option. I'm sure there are many others, but they have no leverage to get out.

What is Jack? He's a highlight reel (YouTube clip for the kiddos out there ). There are no reels anymore. (I graciously await the corrections from those who would know.)

Jack lacks something franchise players have. It's hard to put your finger on it. He rarely kills penalties. He's not a power play force. He's a great skater, but where's the burst to go in one on one? Does he score clutch goals? (hoo boy). Is he a good captain? How many lackluster backchecks and floats to the bench do we need to see? Is he a Masshole? Body language on the ice and in the lockerroom suggest so. His presser performance ended his time in Buffalo, anyway, so these discussions are moot.

A really good player, but I'm not concerned about moving on without him. The Sabres need to turn him into Pat LaFontaine 2.0.

My enduring image of Jack, and this is hardly fair, is how he drifted over to one of his buddies on the Islanders after a whistle and had a discussion about his buddy's stick. His buddy looked befuddled. I'd still like to know how that's not checking out and how being injured was any kind of excuse.

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What is Jack? He's a highlight reel (YouTube clip for the kiddos out there ). There are no reels anymore. (I graciously await the corrections from those who would know.)

Jack lacks something franchise players have. It's hard to put your finger on it. He rarely kills penalties. He's not a power play force. He's a great skater, but where's the burst to go in one on one? Does he score clutch goals? (hoo boy). Is he a good captain? How many lackluster backchecks and floats to the bench do we need to see? Is he a Masshole? Body language on the ice and in the lockerroom suggest so. His presser performance ended his time in Buffalo, anyway, so these discussions are moot.

A really good player, but I'm not concerned about moving on without him. The Sabres need to turn him into Pat LaFontaine 2.0.

My enduring image of Jack, and this is hardly fair, is how he drifted over to one of his buddies on the Islanders after a whistle and had a discussion about his buddy's stick. His buddy looked befuddled. I'd still like to know how that's not checking out and how being injured was any kind of excuse.

“There’s just no room on the Buffalo Sabres for really good players.” 

The meme is now complete. 

• Like (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Maybe the numbers say otherwise but I feel like Jack is good to great on the PP.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.