Eichel's Agent Says Team/Player Heading Toward "Resolution"

Hoss

So ... what does it mean?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the "resolution" is referring to?

• A trade is near
    • A plan to return to the team next year is near
    • He meant exclusively about the neck issue and was not commenting on his status with the team

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's where the mistake was made.  In retrospect it's obvious but at the time we were hopeful he and Eichel would click and we'd have a bonafide first line.  The NMC was thought to be irrelevant.  I hope KA learned something form that.  That was the point in time when the trade to move Hall was ruined.

I respectfully disagree. If the Sabres would not have agreed to the restrictive clause he wouldn't have signed here. The organization decided to agree to the clause that Hall insisted on. It was a reasonable position for the organization to take. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

OMG that's rich.  Hall was an overpaid nothingburger with the Sabres.  KA was lucky to get anything at all.

He should have just kept him, then.

There were reports of first-round picks being offered but Hall not agreeing, BTW.  I think 31 GMs, including Adams, knew that Hall was floating here.

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

OMG that's rich.  Hall was an overpaid nothingburger with the Sabres.  KA was lucky to get anything at all.

There were reports of first-round picks being offered but Hall not agreeing, BTW.  I think 31 GMs, including Adams, knew that Hall was floating here.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully disagree. If the Sabres would not have agreed to the restrictive clause he wouldn't have signed here. The organization decided to agree to the clause that Hall insisted on. It was a reasonable position for the organization to take. 

Not signing him was also a reasonable position to take.  But if someone wants to criticize the acquisition and subsequent trade of Hall, that's where the mistake was made.  I also agree that it was not unreasonable allow the clause at the time.  Just.... don't criticize KA for the return he got for Hall considering that clause was in place.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And then we wouldn't gotten *anything* for him.  How does that make the Sabres better?  And with the NMC in place, those first-round picks offered are meaningless if Hall doesn't wave the clause.  Not how you think KA could have done better.  Hanging onto Hall would not have better for the Sabres, but that's the only alternative you propose.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And Bjork? 

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Icing on the cake.

I like him.  He's not a star, but he's not terrible and I think he fits the new Sabre mold pretty well.  Seems like maybe KA specifically wanted him and made sure he was included.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Bjork

200.gif

Are those Swedish Meatballs for the new coachie?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay I have a question? Do ppl just say this stuff to convince themselves of something? The guy is signed for 5 more years, he's got 360 days until a nmc kicks in. We have lots of leverage. 

Yeah, okay. Our captain essentially went public and all but said he wants out. If KA plays hardball than Eichel could literally demand a trade, publicly. But I’m just saying he doesn’t have leverage because I’m trying to convince myself of something. Think you have it the other way around.

If you think KA is in a strong position right now, you’re in fantasy land. Don’t care how savvy you think you are. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

People like myself are convinced he wants out and won't play for the Sabres again, come hell or high water, which certainly decreases leverage.  Add on his injury and the Sabres have less leverage.  The impending NMC decreases that leverage.  Moreover, once the free agent frenzy is over, very few teams will have enough room to acquire him this season unless we take on garbage on the level of the ROR return.  We saw how much letting this get into next season can look like with Mike Peca.

Thus, GMKA has a lot less leverage than he should and will get neither the quality nor quality that people want, expect, or accept.

I really don’t think that will happen.  Eichel might be pissed at the Sabres, but he still wants to play. If he is healthy, I believe he will play.  I think that’s his #1 priority.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Our captain essentially went public and all but said he wants out.

He never asked for a trade.  He asked for surgery never before done on an NHL player.  Medical experts, including his own, disagreed with him so he went out and found another source that would back him. 

He wants to win.  If Donny Meatballs gets the team to win, and if the herniation heals on its own, Eichel will be fine.

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is obnoxious.  

Eh.  That happens in debate.

Sunday Afternoon Love GIF

46 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is obnoxious.  

Accusing people of using slurs and then suspending them when you get called out for not providing evidence is obnoxious.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

We basically paid 6 million bucks for a 2nd round pick and Halls 1st overall magic. 

Anyone ever add up all the Pegula money wasted on contracts like this, plus buyouts and payments to fired employees with term on their contracts? 

I think of the penny-pinching Golisano days when we had a much better team.  

• Like (+1) 2

I want to take a step back and evaluate some.

How much of the impending resolution is the agent trying to get Eichel moved fast?  IMHO, the agent has a very strong vested interest to coerce the Sabres into making a bad deal because that will make the team he's going to better.

Do we have any indication about how the rest has gone for Eichel's neck?  How much is that situation playing into the talks?

Have we got any indication of what are acceptable pieces that teams will part with versus what the Sabres are asking for?

Does anyone have an idea of what a compromise looks like?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

Yeah, okay. Our captain essentially went public and all but said he wants out. If KA plays hardball than Eichel could literally demand a trade, publicly. But I’m just saying he doesn’t have leverage because I’m trying to convince myself of something. Think you have it the other way around.

If you think KA is in a strong position right now, you’re in fantasy land. Don’t care how savvy you think you are. 

I’d love to have a link to this, cuz I’ve never heard it. I know that they disagree on how to treat Jack’s neck, but I e never heard him “all but say” he wants out.

I’ve heard lots of other people say it, but never him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

He's in a strong enough position where he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I’d love to have a link to this, cuz I’ve never heard it. I know that they disagree on how to treat Jack’s neck, but I e never heard him “all but say” he wants out.

I’ve heard lots of other people say it, but never him.

When a player under contract goes public with a “wherever” comment it’s exactly as the OP described it: all but a public trade demand.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay I have a question? Do ppl just say this stuff to convince themselves of something? The guy is signed for 5 more years, he's got 360 days until a nmc kicks in. We have lots of leverage. 

Not if he quits on the team and just shows up to fulfill his contract but doesn't care, doesn't try, etc. and don't tell me he's a professional and wouldn't do that, because I think he could. You want to risk that?

• Like (+1) 4

55 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not if he quits on the team and just shows up to fulfill his contract but doesn't care, doesn't try, etc. and don't tell me he's a professional and wouldn't do that, because I think he could. You want to risk that?

I have a feeling his heart isn't in it. Yes, we have leverage but a lot a good that does if he's checked out. I just don't see a scenario where he can buy in and be a part of the solution.

My .02

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/2/2021 at 5:17 AM, pi2000 said:

I still don't see how any team would be willing to trade for an injured player.

IMO, this "resolution" is about Jack's health.  Combined with KA's statement it's the agent's way of saying Jack's neck is improving without throwing his client under the bus.

I agree with you.  While many trade scenarios include the Sabres getting another 1st round pick in the upcoming draft, I can’t see a team wanting to trade for Jack with his health future unknown.  If a team was willing to trade for him now, the Sabres wouldn’t be getting much in return anyways. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.