Eichel's Agent Says Team/Player Heading Toward "Resolution"

Hoss

So ... what does it mean?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the "resolution" is referring to?

• A trade is near
    • A plan to return to the team next year is near
    • He meant exclusively about the neck issue and was not commenting on his status with the team

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

“There’s just no room on the Buffalo Sabres for really good players.” 

The meme is now complete. 

Sometimes it's not enough to have talent. Pierre was really good. So were a bunch of NYRs in the late 90s.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

“There’s just no room on the Buffalo Sabres for really good players.” 

The meme is now complete. 

Sometimes it's not enough to have talent. Pierre was really good. So were a bunch of NYRs in the late 90s.

Edited by PASabreFan

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Again, you assume that nothing can make Eichel want to be here. Winning fixes a lot if things.

Health is kinda important too.  If he thinks this surgery is the only option to maintaining his career, that'd be enough to drive anyone away. 

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Talent and depth are essential.  The Edmonton Oilers have proven that now the last few seasons.  It's easier to acquire and/or develop depth...finding the talented top 2 lines and top 2 defensemen is more challenging. 

To sum up.

Jack likely wants out of Buffalo but has 5 years left on his deal with the Sabres, but his no movement clause kicks in in a year.

Because of that contract, the Sabres have authority over Jack’s medical care for his neck injury.  The Sabres are dug in on him not having surgery.  Jack is dug in on having surgery.  

Based on media reports, the market for Jack because of the injury and Sabres asking price is limited.  I’d even speculate that there is no market until there is more medical clarity. 

Based on this info I’d be shocked if any trade was completed before the Draft.  In fact, I’m leaning more and more toward Jack having to play before a deal gets done.  That’s going to make cap concerns a bigger issue than an off-season trade, but it probably can’t be helped.

Obviously this can all change as more medical news gets released.  

Honestly this whole situation is a huge mess. Jack’s career health wise is on the line with either course of treatment.  The Sabres are also in a huge hole.  They can’t trade him for nothing.  If they approve the surgery and it doesn’t work they could potentially lose Jack at 24, be stuck with a 50 mill LTIR hit and not get any assets in return.  If they don’t approve the surgery and Jack returns to the ice but isn't the same player then the Sabres will likely be stuck with Skinner 2.0 or have to trade him for next to nothing.  If they go with either approach, is there any guarantee he’ll be healthy for the start of the season?  What if he remains on LTIR for most or all of next season?  What do the Sabres do then when his NMC kicks in?  

Also the Sabres can in some ways diffuse the whole situation by saying we are not going to trade our franchise center and we are committed to building a winning team around Jack and our young core and will work closely with Jack to get him healthy and back on the ice asap.  

I don’t envy KA right now.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

If they trade him you know it's going to be for a completely underwhelming futures package (IE: Guys who at best won't be meaningful NHL players for at least a few years (if ever)) and that there is an excellent chance this team wins fewer than 20 games right? 

We will win more games without him than we did with him and more importantly perhaps, the hockey will be more fun to watch and there will be optimism. That is what I believe. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The reason it isn't that simple, @PerreaultForever, is that you presume a certain mindset in Eichel. 

Perhaps at the time of the presser, that frame of mind was accurate.  But if the Sabres flat out tell Eichel they don't plan to trade him EVER, or if they don't get the return they want, or whatever, what choice does Eichel have? 

He *could* choose to sabotage the Sabres and in so doing sabotage his own career, or he could realize that doing so will make him a lot of money but he'll never get the shot he wants at the Stanley Cup while he's in his prime.  He signed a contract with the Sabres; he needs to be prepared to execute that contract with the Sabres

Sabotage is maybe too extreme. Possible, but extreme. More likely you end up with a team "led" by a guy who doesn't have his heart in it. You want that? I don't. I don't see how you change the culture for the benefit of the youth on the team if the top of the team isn't all in and giving their maximum every night. And if the NMC kicks in we're totally screwed. 

Taylor Hall signed a contract with us too. (and yes, F Taylor Hall I know, but I think you get the point). 

(Right now my favourite deal for Eichel is with Minnesota. Eichel for Foligno, Dumba, Rossi and a 1st.  (We sign the other Foligno as a FA and the boys teach this team what it means to be a team and then we watch the kids like Cozens and Power etc. ascend to true greatness and Buffalo will no longer be a place teams come for easy points. )

4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

So if you were Jack, what would you have said to the fans? 

Since you asked.

In order to end the rumours I want people to know I'm currently suffering through a disc injury in my back that dates back to before the season started. It's  a complicated injury and there are different ideas on what the best treatment path is. We're currently working with the team on which pathway we should take. Initially we thought I could manage it for the season but in the end this probably wasn't the best idea. I'm confident I will be back next year and fully recovered. 

To the team, I think we all saw positive signs at the end of the year and I think we should all be encouraged with the direction we're going. I need to be better and I will be in order to help these guys grow and become great as a team. It's hard to be optimistic at times, but I truly believe we've finally turned a corner and to the fans I can only say keep the faith. 

Some BS like that. As a captain, something that speaks to the TEAM first. and that's all. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I want to follow up on my age post... 

Rasmus Ristolainen.... still has potential to be a top pairing defender at 26

Rasmus Dhalin... is a bust after being coached by idiots at 21. 

Risto's best role is to make him a #2 on the second pairing. And since he isn't much of a thinker his game needs to be simplified. He can be useful on the PK and on the second PP unit. Good coaches put their players in a position to succeed rather than in a position to fail. 

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

We will win more games without him than we did with him and more importantly perhaps, the hockey will be more fun to watch and there will be optimism. That is what I believe. 

Have you looked at that roster minus Jack and Sam? In all seriousness what other center in our own division do you NOT see our new #1 center Mitts getting completely and totally abused by? Name another NHL team with a worse #1 center.

Edited by sabremike
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Have you looked at that roster minus Jack and Sam? In all seriousness what other center in our own division do you NOT see our new #1 center Mitts getting completely and totally abused by? Name another NHL team with a worse #1 center.

Columbus Blue Jackets. 

Casey Mittelstadt has all the tools to be a very good #2 nhl center. He was rushed to the NHL at least 1 if not 2 years early and we have a complete unknown for him next year. He's shown quite a bit though under Meatball to suggest he's at least capable of taking the next step.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, sabremike said:

Roslovic (who is nowhere near as good as the guy they traded for him which should give you a clue to what a debacle the Eichel trade is going to be).

Okay, so do you think Roslovic is better than Mittelstadt or Cozens?

1 hour ago, SabresVet said:

Health is kinda important too.  If he thinks this surgery is the only option to maintaining his career, that'd be enough to drive anyone away. 

Is there ANY indication that ANY other team is willing to let Jack get the disc replacement surgery he wants?  I haven't seen any reports to that effect.  The Sabres are probably doing the right thing medically, and doing the right thing from a risk management perspective.  I don't know that any other team would/will do anything different.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

To sum up.

Jack likely wants out of Buffalo but has 5 years left on his deal with the Sabres, but his no movement clause kicks in in a year.

Because of that contract, the Sabres have authority over Jack’s medical care for his neck injury.  The Sabres are dug in on him not having surgery.  Jack is dug in on having surgery.  

Based on media reports, the market for Jack because of the injury and Sabres asking price is limited.  I’d even speculate that there is no market until there is more medical clarity. 

Based on this info I’d be shocked if any trade was completed before the Draft.  In fact, I’m leaning more and more toward Jack having to play before a deal gets done.  That’s going to make cap concerns a bigger issue than an off-season trade, but it probably can’t be helped.

Obviously this can all change as more medical news gets released.  

Honestly this whole situation is a huge mess. Jack’s career health wise is on the line with either course of treatment.  The Sabres are also in a huge hole.  They can’t trade him for nothing.  If they approve the surgery and it doesn’t work they could potentially lose Jack at 24, be stuck with a 50 mill LTIR hit and not get any assets in return.  If they don’t approve the surgery and Jack returns to the ice but isn't the same player then the Sabres will likely be stuck with Skinner 2.0 or have to trade him for next to nothing.  If they go with either approach, is there any guarantee he’ll be healthy for the start of the season?  What if he remains on LTIR for most or all of next season?  What do the Sabres do then when his NMC kicks in?  

Also the Sabres can in some ways diffuse the whole situation by saying we are not going to trade our franchise center and we are committed to building a winning team around Jack and our young core and will work closely with Jack to get him healthy and back on the ice asap.  

I don’t envy KA right now.  

He is gone this weekend to anaheim for Zegras 1st, comtois  and Gibson.

Reinhart and Skinner for Kings 1st, turcotte, vilardi and doughty.

Ristolainen to Columbus for a goalie or penguins for a 1st in 2022.

• Haha (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Isn't Columbus down one goalie (sorry).

56 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug!😜😂😀

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sabotage is maybe too extreme. Possible, but extreme. More likely you end up with a team "led" by a guy who doesn't have his heart in it. You want that? I don't. I don't see how you change the culture for the benefit of the youth on the team if the top of the team isn't all in and giving their maximum every night. And if the NMC kicks in we're totally screwed. 

Taylor Hall signed a contract with us too. (and yes, F Taylor Hall I know, but I think you get the point). 

(Right now my favourite deal for Eichel is with Minnesota. Eichel for Foligno, Dumba, Rossi and a 1st.  (We sign the other Foligno as a FA and the boys teach this team what it means to be a team and then we watch the kids like Cozens and Power etc. ascend to true greatness and Buffalo will no longer be a place teams come for easy points. )

I like this idea

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

I do not expect our opening night roster to simply be minus them. There should be additions as well. We might not have a direct comparison #1 center but we might have a solid balanced line up and centers 2, 3 and 4 might be pretty good. 

There's plenty of decent talent available that can tie us over until Cozens and Dach/Zegras/Rossi/whoever are ready to step up fully.

Take a look. https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/

Now of course if we don't sign any decent FAs you might have a point. That would indeed be foolish. 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

There will be suffering.

We're suffering now. So staying the course in any fashion is not a good idea. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.