COVID-19

Indabuff

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

"Other" sneaking in and attacking us without warning — who knew something like this could happen!? It's on point anyway.

Slowly working its way from China, through Europe, and then here.  There was plenty of warning.  Mostly, I worry that comments like those are going to fuel the conspiracy nuts for years to come.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

"Other" sneaking in and attacking us without warning — who knew something like this could happen!? It's on point anyway.

This is fair. It should be obvious when comparing the total cases and total deaths that the recovery rate is extraordinarily high, but it wouldn't hurt to emphasize that somehow in the graphics. I'd also suggest a slight change to the language. Instead of Total Cases I'd say Total Known Cases. They should be pushing the fact that the true number of cases is much higher (OTOH the number of deaths is also undercounted).

Chris Cuomo is probably the poster boy for what you're talking about. I think he's hamming it up pretty good. "The beast comes at night." He's still doing his show. He still looks better than I've ever looked on my best day. The other night he said something like, "Covid 19 is for real, folks. Now you know if you get this, you're in for a battle. You're going to suffer." It wasn't a good journalistic thing to say.

I'm not against the social distancing aspect of it, I get it, my personal opinion is that is a bit overkill, but I can certainly live with it; in the face of this being touted as a true pandemic. 

Even in the beginning I was able to somewhat try and let the pressure valve release because it was such a culture shock. Sadly, 37 days into it, I drew the line a couple of days ago mentally for me. I have been actively avoiding news of it, other than what I need to know for my job (no avoiding it in that sense). And catching small bits of the news in the hotel lobby when I stay in town. 

I'm trying to find the positives of it all, exercising has helped a bit with the stress. In about 2 months when this is over and patients are coming into the hospital treating medical staff like dogsh!t like this never happened, that might be when my despair flares up again..... We won't be "heroes" then 

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is fair. It should be obvious when comparing the total cases and total deaths that the recovery rate is extraordinarily high, but it wouldn't hurt to emphasize that somehow in the graphics. I'd also suggest a slight change to the language. Instead of Total Cases I'd say Total Known Cases. They should be pushing the fact that the true number of cases is much higher (OTOH the number of deaths is also undercounted).

Chris Cuomo is probably the poster boy for what you're talking about. I think he's hamming it up pretty good. "The beast comes at night." He's still doing his show. He still looks better than I've ever looked on my best day. The other night he said something like, "Covid 19 is for real, folks. Now you know if you get this, you're in for a battle. You're going to suffer." It wasn't a good journalistic thing to say.

So you think that this compares to violent attacks on innocent people that led to multiple wars and thousands of Americans suffering violent deaths?

To your Cuomo point, I agree and I think it’s ***** he said that. I’ve had pneumonia five times, MRSA, and swine flu. Illness is not a battle or a fight. It’s incredibly ***** ***** and debilitating and weakening, but it’s not a fight and it’s not even close to battle. I don’t understand why everything needs to be compared to war and violence. Can’t things just suck? The people making that comparison have no idea what they’re talking about. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

There's one around here somewhere but I'm not having an easy time finding it at the moment.  I think @New Scotland (NS) may have started it?

I don't know what that tweeter is going on about.

I don't think I stated it.  There have been a few over the years.  I think @Drunkard started the most recent one.

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

+++++

I ventured into the big, bad city today to pick some groceries for us and our elderly neighbour.

So far, so good.  I will be heading home to the country soon.  Wish me luck ...

Make sure to tape a sponge or a shoe to your face, improperly wear gloves and act like you're more important than everyone else! ?

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

+++++

I ventured into the big, bad city today to pick some groceries for us and our elderly neighbour.

So far, so good.  I will be heading home to the country soon.  Wish me luck ...

Would you stop doing that? Get your little bee-hind in your house and stay there.

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

So you think that this compares to violent attacks on innocent people that led to multiple wars and thousands of Americans suffering violent deaths?

No, I was basically mocking someone who apparently does.

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Make sure to tape a sponge or a shoe to your face, improperly wear gloves and act like you're more important than everyone else! ?

Yes, boss ... ?

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Would you stop doing that? Get your little bee-hind in your house and stay there.

This is the first time I have ventured into a store in 3 weeks.  We need out Turkish coffee man!!

Just kidding, I picked up the coffee special delivery from Istanbul before this thing got bad here in NS.  Last plane in had the coffee on it.  That was a close one.

I hear you though.  Come hell, or high water, or both.  I will not be leaving home for a month. 

We are 2 weeks from Ramadan.  All the community ifar's (fast breaking meals) will not be happening, nor will the night prayers in the Mosques.  I am seriously thinking of very limiting my fasting this year.  I think God will understand.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I lost my dad December 27. I lost my 57 year old sister to cancer yesterday. They were both forces of nature and her Facebook page bears that out today. They were both always about “what’s next.”

We will weather this storm. I will weather this storm. ***** Covid. ***** cancer.

OK, now, what’s for dinner.

I am so sorry Swamp.  God bless you and your family.

• Like (+1) 4

Despite what I've gone through with my family and I also have a friend who is unlikely to recover, the almost worst thing about this pandemic is the how this is changing our society both economically and socially.  

My wife got yelled at by another couple at the grocery store for doing the wrong direction in the grocery store.  I've been frustrated at the people crowding into "closed" parks and schools (but I haven't yelled at anyone).  

I work in financial services and have been working like crazy to help my small business clients survive after 70% loss of business in a month.    My assistant today picked up a stray dog that had been abandoned by his owners.  My wife and i were discussing today about whether we'll even be allowed to have my daughter's wedding at the end of August with a 150 person guest list. The whole thing has been very depressing and I'm not sure things will ever get back to how they were.  

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I lost my dad December 27. I lost my 57 year old sister to cancer yesterday. They were both forces of nature and her Facebook page bears that out today. They were both always about “what’s next.”

We will weather this storm. I will weather this storm. ***** Covid. ***** cancer.

I'm sorry about your losses.  You have my heart felt condolences.  My mom passed on 11/4 (my parents 57th wedding anniversary) and like you my Dad is quarantined in his assisted living.  I'm right there with you.  Although this is incredibly hard, stay strong and love your family.  That's really all any of us can do.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

Agreed. The one thing we don't need right now is a sharks' feeding frenzy.

I’m pretty sure you missed what I was getting at, but that’s OK.  It’s probably not a subject for this thread anyway.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

You have my sincerest condolences.

Stay strong.  (We know you will.)

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Despite what I've gone through with my family and I also have a friend who is unlikely to recover, the almost worst thing about this pandemic is the how this is changing our society both economically and socially.  

My wife got yelled at by another couple at the grocery store for doing the wrong direction in the grocery store.  I've been frustrated at the people crowding into "closed" parks and schools (but I haven't yelled at anyone).  

I work in financial services and have been working like crazy to help my small business clients survive after 70% loss of business in a month.    My assistant today picked up a stray dog that had been abandoned by his owners.  My wife and i were discussing today about whether we'll even be allowed to have my daughter's wedding at the end of August with a 150 person guest list. The whole thing has been very depressing and I'm not sure things will ever get back to how they were.  

I think that things will go back to how they were before, or almost exactly as they were before.  I can’t see why they wouldn’t.

The whole thing does suck though.  It’s putting a strain on most everyone.

Sorry about your friend.  Hopefully your daughter’s wedding can still happen.  The fiancé and I had to postpone our own wedding because of this.

13 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Having said that, this is not being political. How many of you heard about this? I was already concerned about the initial effects of an SIP order, only to get further (and better) explanations from some of you.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/04/06/reporter-asks-trump-about-closing-grocery-stores-food-drive-thrus-just-shut-all-of-it-down-905420

It's bad enough that some of these places will never reopen. But why encourage people to panic even further? SMH.

"You can't fix stupid". ~ Ron White

bizpacreview? Labeled as an extremist site... No thank you. Sources matter. 

27 minutes ago, SDS said:

bizpacreview? Labeled as an extremist site... No thank you. Sources matter. 

I think the above was the point of weave's comment below.

8 hours ago, Weave said:

An EWTN “reporter” blasted by a right wing News opinion site for posing a leading, and likely to stir up controversy, question......

this is obvious seeding.  Wow.  What a disgrace.  I am continually amazed at the volume of people that eat this ***** up.

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

Terrible news.  Sorry to hear.  Stay strong.  

• Like (+1) 1