COVID-19

Indabuff

20 minutes ago, Theana745 said:

Only reason why I bring it up is because if people yell at others for donating, they'll never donate again.

Relax.  We can always vilify them and confiscate what we want.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

Hoo boy, I dunno. I honor them and hope others will as well. Confiscate how? The only thing I can think of is raising taxes on the wealthy, and we never want to do that. I'd rather let them take the lead in voluntarily chipping in their fair share.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Hoo boy, I dunno. I honor them and hope others will as well. Confiscate how? The only thing I can think of is raising taxes on the wealthy, and we never want to do that. I'd rather let them take the lead in voluntarily chipping in their fair share.

Or, instead of “them” ....  perhaps, another word ... what’s an alternative to “them” when you want something done, some outcome?

We have our own The Lost Generation.   Survivors not of a World War, but of a culture war.   Stripped of joy and purpose and looking for villains and waiting for things to be fixed for them ...  even once in a century pandemics bring opportunity to criticize and envy ...  everything does, if that’s what you live for.

Here’s to the hockey players who made donations, all by themselves, in the fashion and in the amount that they saw fit, knowing better than anyone else the best use for their funds, regardless of how willing others were to offer critique, if nothing else.

Oh, and to health care workers, bankers, school teachers and ... parents ... and grocery clerks and truck drivers.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

I haven't hugged or kissed my kids in over a week since they have the sniffles.  Hopefully it's just the common cold but I guess we can't be too sure.  My wife and I are essential personnel working with the traveling public and aren't looking to spread anything ourselves.  At the same time I'm worried if I do start exhibiting symptoms it'll be too late to hug or kiss my kids.  Either paranoia or reality is starting to set in.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm ashamed to say so far I've given only a fraction of what these generous young men have. I know I can't personally make up the difference and make them whole, which is why I proposed, some how, some way, paying these selfless kids back. Maybe in the fall...

I guess we're in different camps here, but I tend to like to treat people with respect. I think what people don't realize is that lamenting people who have some wealth isn't the way to go. I mean, would you get mad at a neurosurgeon for making a million dollars a year? Would you tell him that donation is a requirement? 

Edited by Theana745

55 minutes ago, Theana745 said:

lamenting people who have some wealth isn't the way to go.

Although Siddhattha Gautama was born wealthy, he realized that the light he sought couldn’t be bought or sold  He went off and lived a life with nothing and he realized that suffering couldn’t bring him to the light either. Do you know the secret that he discovered? 

47 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Although Siddhattha Gautama was born wealthy, he realized that the light he sought couldn’t be bought or sold  He went off and lived a life with nothing and he realized that suffering couldn’t bring him to the light either. Do you know the secret that he discovered? 

I know you're referring to Buddha, but it sounds so similar to something I've read in Ecclesiastes.

1 minute ago, Crosschecking said:

I know you're referring to Buddha, but it sounds so similar to something I've read in Ecclesiastes.

Before the separation of man from his tribal roots.....

Our modern society has an arrogant attitude about our place in the cosmos IMO. That Old Testament, those Old philosophies, they have a piece to the puzzle that I’m assembling. My own path to the light. I don’t want you to think I’m disrespecting your pledge to follow Christ, I’m not. Ultimately I believe that all the prophets from all religions were looking to lead people into the light. I personally think we just dissolve into it. Surrendering “yourself” to God so to speak. Anyways it sounds frightening but I imagine that it is a glorious, one time experience....could you direct me to the passage that you find similarity with? I’d love to read it.

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

Our modern society has an arrogant attitude about our place in the cosmos IMO. That Old Testament, those Old philosophies, they have a piece to the puzzle that I’m assembling. My own path to the light. I don’t want you to think I’m disrespecting your pledge to follow Christ, I’m not. Ultimately I believe that all the prophets from all religions were looking to lead people into the light. I personally think we just dissolve into it. Surrendering “yourself” to God so to speak. Anyways it sounds frightening but I imagine that it is a glorious, one time experience....could you direct me to the passage that you find similarity with? I’d love to read it.

Well, to be honest, there are so many examples in that book alone. Just one verse alone would not do the current situation any justice. The main points in it are that everything is vanity, there is nothing new under the sun, the simple joys in life never last forever (and can actually bring sadness) and the final summation is to remember God Our Creator, fear Him, and keep His commandments. (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14)

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ogre said:

I don't even know what you're trying to say. Let's just say in my line of work, we don't talk like tis

10 minutes ago, Theana745 said:

I don't even know what you're trying to say. Let's just say in my line of work, we don't talk like tis

If you've read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, you might understand.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:52 AM, spndnchz said:

let it out... get it all out...

Hip song. Music heals or at least puts a bandaid on it. I’m up to 3. You guys my sincere condolences. 

I am so sorry chz.  God bless you and your family. 

10 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

10 hours ago, Ogre said:

8 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Well, to be honest, there are so many examples in that book alone. Just one verse alone would not do the current situation any justice. The main points in it are that everything is vanity, there is nothing new under the sun, the simple joys in life never last forever (and can actually bring sadness) and the final summation is to remember God Our Creator, fear Him, and keep His commandments. (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14)

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Interesting view into a community I know very little about ...

The Amish, service, government assistance and privilege.  This story found its way into my recommendations.  Shocker ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/us/politics/amish-coronavirus-ohio.html

50 minutes ago, Theana745 said:

43 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Are you here for work purposes?

39 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

If you've read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, you might understand.

I am starting a new religion thread.  Can't find the old one.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I am starting a new religion thread.  Can't find the old one.

I need one.  I found myself reading The New York Times.   I’ve strayed.

The article I linked is less religion and more lifestyle and philosophy, for those who’ve not looked.

Just now, Neo said:

I need one.  I found myself reading The New York Times.   I’ve strayed.

The article I linked is less religion and more lifestyle and philosophy, for those who’ve not looked.

The article you linked also is paywalled, so no one can read it.

The religion thread is open for business.

Just now, Eleven said:

The article you linked also is paywalled, so no one can read it.

The religion thread is open for business.

Paywalled?  Now, I have to investigate.  I clicked directly to it.  I do not have a NYT subscription.  Hmmmmm ....

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

Paywalled?  Now, I have to investigate.  I clicked directly to it.  I do not have a NYT subscription.  Hmmmmm ....

At the very least, it requires registration.  It may be a free article.

Can you summarize it?

On 4/11/2020 at 11:07 AM, Eleven said:

At the very least, it requires registration.  It may be a free article.

Can you summarize it?

Hmmmm ...

The Cleveland Clinic needed masks and made many outreaches.

An Amish leader learned of the need and organized his small community.

The Amish community, in most senses of the word, co-exists with, but is not part of, the broader community.

Within days, the Amish were supplying masks and shields to hospitals and health care workers.  They sewed and milled.

They did it because it needed to be done.

They view the work as a privilege.

The Amish, communal in nature, are being hit hard by coronavirus and distancing.

They apply for, and accept, no governmental assistance.

“When something needs to be done, people show up”.

I don’t have a login, a registration, OR a subscription.   The INTERWEBS!

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1