COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, Crosschecking said:

Having said that, this is not being political. How many of you heard about this? I was already concerned about the initial effects of an SIP order, only to get further (and better) explanations from some of you.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/04/06/reporter-asks-trump-about-closing-grocery-stores-food-drive-thrus-just-shut-all-of-it-down-905420

It's bad enough that some of these places will never reopen. But why encourage people to panic even further? SMH.

"You can't fix stupid". ~ Ron White

If Jensen is who I think he is, he is irresponsible.  Again, if he's who I think he is (difficult to tell because I was driving), he was on the radio (with some other broadcast guy) as recently as LAST WEEK claiming that this whole thing is a hoax.  If it's not him, well, he's employed by a network which as recently as last week had a team of two people claiming that this whole thing is a hoax.  

My general suggestion is that we should get news from newspeople and religion from religious people, but your mileage may vary.

EDIT:  After digging a bit, Jensen is not one of the two idiots that I heard last week, but I am aware of EWTN's agenda.  My bet is that the question was leading to an argument that other businesses should reopen, not that grocery stores should close.  Happy to discuss that agenda further in the religion thread if anyone would like.

Edited by Eleven

56 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If Jensen is who I think he is, he is irresponsible.  Again, if he's who I think he is (difficult to tell because I was driving), he was on the radio (with some other broadcast guy) as recently as LAST WEEK claiming that this whole thing is a hoax.  If it's not him, well, he's employed by a network which as recently as last week had a team of two people claiming that this whole thing is a hoax.  

My general suggestion is that we should get news from newspeople and religion from religious people, but your mileage may vary.

EDIT:  After digging a bit, Jensen is not one of the two idiots that I heard last week, but I am aware of EWTN's agenda.  My bet is that the question was leading to an argument that other businesses should reopen, not that grocery stores should close.  Happy to discuss that agenda further in the religion thread if anyone would like.

Where is the religion thread?

I’ve been starting to see more and more articles related to long and short term concerns on our rights due to corona. Maybe the appropriate time to voice these would have been weeks ago? Or maybe people should always be watchful of their freedoms because they rivalry don’t come back. 

5 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Having said that, this is not being political. How many of you heard about this? I was already concerned about the initial effects of an SIP order, only to get further (and better) explanations from some of you.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/04/06/reporter-asks-trump-about-closing-grocery-stores-food-drive-thrus-just-shut-all-of-it-down-905420

It's bad enough that some of these places will never reopen. But why encourage people to panic even further? SMH.

"You can't fix stupid". ~ Ron White

An EWTN “reporter” blasted by a right wing News opinion site for posing a leading, and likely to stir up controversy, question......

this is obvious seeding.  Wow.  What a disgrace.  I am continually amazed at the volume of people that eat this ***** up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Weave said:

An EWTN “reporter” blasted by a right wing News opinion site for posing a leading, and likely to stir up controversy, question......

this is obvious seeding.  Wow.  What a disgrace.  I am continually amazed at the volume of people that eat this ***** up.

EWTN is now MSM?

It really is the end of the world.

No fever this am

Good article on covid in Westchester: 

Check out this article from lohud:

Coronavirus: Hospitalization rate remains manageable in Westchester at 10%

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/coronavirus/2020/04/07/hospitalization-rate-coronavirus-westchester-county/2961470001/

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Where is the religion thread?

There's one around here somewhere but I'm not having an easy time finding it at the moment.  I think @New Scotland (NS) may have started it?

25 minutes ago, SwampD said:

One of the tweets said that the MSM wants panic. I’m guessing that that person does as well.

I don't know what that tweeter is going on about.

Edited by Eleven

Does this feel like the "worst" and "saddest" week we've ever had as Americans? It feels like two weeks ago to me, only with more deaths. It's probably my sociopathic tendencies acting up. Remember Woody's complaint about how the pandemic is being covered in a negative and sensational way? This time it was the Surgeon General who made those remarks, as well as saying this week would be like Pearl Harbor and 9/11.

My suspicion is that human beings have an innate ability to process and weather these things, then move on to the NHL playoffs. We had to have this ability to get out of the Stone Age, I imagine. SabreTooth took your family — OK, what's for dinner?

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Does this feel like the "worst" and "saddest" week we've ever had as Americans? It feels like two weeks ago to me, only with more deaths. It's probably my sociopathic tendencies acting up. Remember Woody's complaint about how the pandemic is being covered in a negative and sensational way? This time it was the Surgeon General who made those remarks, as well as saying this week would be like Pearl Harbor and 9/11.

My suspicion is that human beings have an innate ability to process and weather these things, then move on to the NHL playoffs. We had to have this ability to get out of the Stone Age, I imagine. SabreTooth took your family — OK, what's for dinner?

I lost my dad December 27. I lost my 57 year old sister to cancer yesterday. They were both forces of nature and her Facebook page bears that out today. They were both always about “what’s next.”

We will weather this storm. I will weather this storm. ***** Covid. ***** cancer.

OK, now, what’s for dinner.

• Sad 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That Pearl Harbor 9/11 comment has been driving me mad.  I don't know if it's just the complete stupidity of it or the fact that it's been replayed on a near constant loop.  It is absolutely nothing like those events and the comment is a slap in the face anyone who was involved in either of those days.

• Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I lost my dad December 27. I lost my 57 year old sister to cancer yesterday. They were both forces of nature and her Facebook page bears that out today. They were both always about “what’s next.”

We will weather this storm. I will weather this storm. ***** Covid. ***** cancer.

Geez.  I'm so sorry.  Hang in there.  

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Geez.  I'm so sorry.  Hang in there.  

The worst part is that because of Covid, I can’t be up there for my mom. She is 80 and I actually know people who have tested positive or been quarantined. The thought of also losing her because I brought it there from the tristate hotspot isn’t very appealing. Sux.

27 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The constant reminder of death tolls, and not of recovery rates is all I need to see to know that this is fear mongering in the highest regard. 

Up here we get the # of total cases, # of hospitalizations, # of ICU patients, # of deaths and the # of recoveries daily, as well as updates on the numbers of hospital beds available.

These numbers (flattening in the bad areas, more empty beds than we had before the pandemic, 60 per cent of diagnosed cases recovered) have been giving me hope.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Up here we get the # of total cases, # of hospitalizations, # of ICU patients, # of deaths and the # of recoveries daily, as well as updates on the numbers of hospital beds available.

These numbers (flattening in the bad areas, more empty beds than we had before the pandemic, 60 per cent of diagnosed cases recovered) have been giving me hope.

The news here, at least last week, every single story was about such and such person who died.  At that point, the death rate was below 1%, so it was pretty clearly a fear tactic.  Maybe it's changed this week, but I've stopped watching because it was so horribly put together.

I hope this isn't interpreted as me questioning the measures we've taken because I am not.  It's just clear when you see an outlet who only cares about ratings.  I'm glad I don't have to try to explain these broadcasts to any young children.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

My condolences bud.  

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Agreed. The one thing we don't need right now is a sharks' feeding frenzy.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

The worst part is that because of Covid, I can’t be up there for my mom. She is 80 and I actually know people who have tested positive or been quarantined. The thought of also losing her because I brought it there from the tristate hotspot isn’t very appealing. Sux.

So sorry for your losses.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

That's terrible news. I'm sorry. It sounds like you were very lucky to have the father and sister you did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The constant reminder of death tolls, and not of recovery rates is all I need to see to know that this is fear mongering in the highest regard. 

If we aren’t afraid how will we cede our rights away? 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

That Pearl Harbor 9/11 comment has been driving me mad.  I don't know if it's just the complete stupidity of it or the fact that it's been replayed on a near constant loop.  It is absolutely nothing like those events and the comment is a slap in the face anyone who was involved in either of those days.

"Other" sneaking in and attacking us without warning — who knew something like this could happen!? It's on point anyway.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This is fair. It should be obvious when comparing the total cases and total deaths that the recovery rate is extraordinarily high, but it wouldn't hurt to emphasize that somehow in the graphics. I'd also suggest a slight change to the language. Instead of Total Cases I'd say Total Known Cases. They should be pushing the fact that the true number of cases is much higher (OTOH the number of deaths is also undercounted).

Chris Cuomo is probably the poster boy for what you're talking about. I think he's hamming it up pretty good. "The beast comes at night." He's still doing his show. He still looks better than I've ever looked on my best day. The other night he said something like, "Covid 19 is for real, folks. Now you know if you get this, you're in for a battle. You're going to suffer." It wasn't a good journalistic thing to say.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

So, sorry for your losses.  Prayers sent your way.

• Like (+1) 1