COVID-19

Indabuff

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

Hmmmm ...

The Cleveland Clinic needed masks and made many outreaches.

An Amish leader learned of the need and organized his small community.

The Amish community, in most senses of the word, co-exists with, but is not part of, the broader community.

Within days, the Amish were supplying masks and shields to hospitals and health care workers.  They sewed and milled.

They did it because it needed to be done.

They view the work as a privilege.

Their community, communal in nature, is being hit hard by coronavirus and distancing.

They apply for, and accept, no governmental assistance.

“When something needs to be done, people show up”.

I don’t have a login, a registration, OR a subscription.   The INTERWEBS!

That is a lovely work of charity.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Neo said:

I don’t have a login, a registration, OR a subscription.   The INTERWEBS!

I don’t either and I saw it.

But then again, I go and delete all my cookies on my iPad ever other day, so maybe they give you a couple of free articles.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Theana745 said:

Not sure what you mean?

I’ve noticed that you’re a regular advocate for the wealthy and you noted that your line of work doesn’t speak in philosophical terms. Rightly or wrongly I am assuming you make your living by advocating for the privileged. There’s nothing wrong with that, just be aware that those with more than enough need to work extra hard to convince those without enough that <insert whatever point your making about the wealthy>

I assume(again rightly or not)that you are trying to show us all how benevolent these young players are and what terrible lot the underprivileged would be in without them. A band of 50 young men making a combined $81.5 million per year managed to part with a collective $100G...that’s only .1% of their income. I should be impressed by that? I watched my father give 10% of his measly wage to the community. Now THAT’S giving! I think that these young men would be better served learning what true benevolence is rather than looking for someone to sell a better portrait of their collective likeness.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

I’ve noticed that you’re a regular advocate for the wealthy and you noted that your line of work doesn’t speak in philosophical terms. Rightly or wrongly I am assuming you make your living by advocating for the privileged. There’s nothing wrong with that, just be aware that those with more than enough need to work extra hard to convince those without enough that <insert whatever point your making about the wealthy>

I assume(again rightly or not)that you are trying to show us all how benevolent these young players are and what terrible lot the underprivileged would be in without them. A band of 50 young men making a combined $81.5 million per year managed to part with a collective $100G...that’s only .1% of their income. I should be impressed by that? I watched my father give 10% of his measly wage to the community. Now THAT’S giving! I think that these young men would be better served learning what true benevolence is rather than looking for someone to sell a better portrait of their collective likeness.

Impressed? No.  Why should you be impressed?  People should give what they want and can.  If that group gives $100k, then it's $100k more than existed before they gave the money. 

Instead of being thankful they gave anything, people want to chastise them for not doing enough.  Talk about looking that gift horse in the mouth.  Next time perhaps they should just keep the money right?  If its such a worthless gesture, then why bother.  Who needs that extra $100k anyway?

Can we also chastise those who don't do enough in life to elevate themselves?  Is that acceptable?  After all, these players are in the sub 1% of the population who make it (https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-hard-is-it-to-make-it_b_5803634).  So, they had to work hard to make it that far.  Are they required to give it all back?

Bottom line, you can blame people for their money and you can blame people for not working hard enough.  Neither position wins.  So best to just get along.

I don't find it advocating for "the privileged" so much as advocating for people getting to live their lives the way they see fit without having to be criticized just because it doesn't conform to someone else's view. I see plenty of people with money who live a lifestyle I don't agree with.  I also see plenty of people without money who live a lifestyle I don't agree with.  

15 minutes ago, LTS said:

Impressed? No.  Why should you be impressed?  People should give what they want and can.  If that group gives $100k, then it's $100k more than existed before they gave the money. 

Instead of being thankful they gave anything, people want to chastise them for not doing enough.  Talk about looking that gift horse in the mouth.  Next time perhaps they should just keep the money right?  If its such a worthless gesture, then why bother.  Who needs that extra $100k anyway?

Can we also chastise those who don't do enough in life to elevate themselves?  Is that acceptable?  After all, these players are in the sub 1% of the population who make it (https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-hard-is-it-to-make-it_b_5803634).  So, they had to work hard to make it that far.  Are they required to give it all back?

Bottom line, you can blame people for their money and you can blame people for not working hard enough.  Neither position wins.  So best to just get along.

I don't find it advocating for "the privileged" so much as advocating for people getting to live their lives the way they see fit without having to be criticized just because it doesn't conform to someone else's view. I see plenty of people with money who live a lifestyle I don't agree with.  I also see plenty of people without money who live a lifestyle I don't agree with.  

This keeps coming around. The idea of shaming someone because they have something someone else does not makes no sense. Nobody with any self confidence will bow down to someone else’s virtue signaling.

Words today have less impact because they are over used. Actions like those of medical personnel and those donating resources are what get things done. Talk is cheap, $1000,000 means more right now.

• Like (+1) 1

@Brawndo and all others on here and all that you are working with that we don't know ...

Thank you, so very much for your service.  We could not and will not make it through this without you.

To quote my Premier ... the rest of us need to do our part and *stay the blazes home*.  Thank you.

48 minutes ago, LTS said:

You’re putting a lot of words in my mouth that aren’t mine. The post that you quoted of mine was in response to a question asked about another post in which I used esoteric philosophical wording. My response was in the same theme. I have no issue with their gift. My issue? That’s the equivalent of me giving $50 and then crowing about it on a message board. I’m sorry but coming from a group of young people who should be thanking the heavens that they were born into a family that had the means to get them where they are? I’m standing by it. Not impressed.

48 minutes ago, LTS said:

Bottom line, you can blame people for their money and you can blame people for not working hard enough.

Neither of these two things are contingent on the other. They also do not beget one another. There are plenty of hard working people who are not wealthy. As well, there are many wealthy people who are not hard workers.

50 minutes ago, LTS said:

Can we also chastise those who don't do enough in life to elevate themselves?  Is that acceptable? 

Absolutely! Show me where I said or even suggested otherwise! 

51 minutes ago, LTS said:

So, they had to work hard to make it that far.  Are they required to give it all back?

Again. Show me where I said they should give it all. So they are lucky to be in the one percent. Lucky first of all that their life’s situation afforded the game. Lucky that were more physically gifted than the 99% who also busted their balls off trying. Give me break. Wealth has as much to do with good fortune as it does with hard work. To cast everyone who isn’t wealthy in a negative light is unfair.

32 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Oh boy, this COVID-19 thing can't end fast enough.

Let's just group hug while the world is coming to an end and worry about paying fopr it later.

Now, I suggest that everyone just kiss and make up before it's too late.

We could just blame COVID on the ROR trade and unite the world.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

Again I think all life matters, regardless of your wealth status. From my understanding they're donation was specific to COVID19. You never know what other places they're donating to. You might be very well right that donation could of been a tad more. I just think it sets a bad message if we lament people for donating, even if it may be not a lot in retrospect by our definition. Like I said before, would you yell at a neurosurogen that makes millions for not donating enough?

9 minutes ago, Theana745 said:

Again I think all life matters, regardless of your wealth status. From my understanding they're donation was specific to COVID19. You never know what other places they're donating to. You might be very well right that donation could of been a tad more. I just think it sets a bad message if we lament people for donating, even if it may be not a lot in retrospect by our definition. Like I said before, would you yell at a neurosurogen that makes millions for not donating enough?

I feel like things are getting out of hand here. I'm not saying that certain complaints merit labeling some people as malcontents. But there needs to be an open mind to something else. Some people with deep pockets may actually be doing things behind the scenes and eschewing attention. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if these guys are giving a helping hand.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Theana745 said:

Again. I have no problem with the donation, it’s the chest thumping afterwards that I’m repulsed by. BTW, I rarely yell at anyone. It does happen but I live in a world where bad decisions take lives. Sometimes it is necessary. Also, there is no way I hold a wealthy neurosurgeon that’s worked well into adulthood to achieve what they have by taking the responsibility of people‘s lives literally into their hands with a 20 something kid playing a game for huge amounts of money. The only similarity between the two is the $$. 

4 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Again. I have no problem with the donation, it’s the chest thumping afterwards that I’m repulsed by. BTW, I rarely yell at anyone. It does happen but I live in a world where bad decisions take lives. Sometimes it is necessary. Also, there is no way I hold a wealthy neurosurgeon that’s worked well into adulthood to achieve what they have by taking the responsibility of people‘s lives literally into their hands with a 20 something kid playing a game for huge amounts of money. The only similarity between the two is the $$. 

Did I miss something? Who is chest-thumping?

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

This keeps coming around. The idea of shaming someone because they have something someone else does not makes no sense. Nobody with any self confidence will bow down to someone else’s virtue signaling.

Words today have less impact because they are over used. Actions like those of medical personnel and those donating resources are what get things done. Talk is cheap, $1000,000 means more right now.

But what about when they start suggesting we start a fund to incentivize players to play better?

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Did I miss something? Who is chest-thumping?

No one is chest thumping.  Ogre is telling a story with good guys and bad guys.  The story was written long ago and can be produced, without connection to what’s actually happening, any time he likes.  He left off the disclaimer.

This blog post is protected under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries throughout the world. The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred. No person or entity associated with this post received payment or anything of value, or entered into any agreement, in connection with the depiction of tobacco products.  No animals were harmed in the making of this blog post.

• Awesome! (+1) 1