Jump to content
Eleven

Around the NHL 2019-20

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

The same blind ref missed a stick to the face to Ehlers and a hit from behind on Morrissey in the final 5 minutes or so of the Jets/Minny game yesterday. Then, he gave Wheeler a penalty in OT and Minny scored.

That ref is almost comical and it makes you wonder how he got hired. He reminds me of some of the refs from the 1972 summit series.

The refs on the other side of the pond. I think one guy was East German.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The refs on the other side of the pond. I think one guy was East German.

East German?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The refs on the other side of the pond. I think one guy was East German.

 

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

East German?

I’m assuming that you are talking about some ref from 1972?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Curt said:

 

I’m assuming that you are talking about some ref from 1972?

Yes, I looked it up, his name was Kompalla. He was Polish born but living in East Germany, behind the Iron Curtain. He had never refereed NHL players before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is the one the Canadians tried to not have as a ref for the last game...game 8.

I thihnk the other was a Czech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 goals against Markstrom on 14 shots through 2 periods vs. Tampa. Yikes...

oops apparently it was 22 shots...

Edited by bunomatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9-2 final Tampa/canucks

headshot in the Colorado game and Kadre hunts down and unloads on the hitter. Love it. Hold the p ricks responsible if the officials fail. No penalty on the play .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wanted to know what complete and utter scum the Barclays Center people (Ratner and Yormark) are: Had this story confirmed for me by someone who would absolutely know: when there was talk the Isles wanted to play games at the Coliseum (Which the Barclays people operate) for the 3 years before Belmont opened Ratner ordered the pouring of concrete down the toilets in all the suites as an act of sabotage to make going back impossible. They also secretly funded the ridiculous lawsuit against the Belmont Arena.

Edited by sabremike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If you wanted to know what complete and utter scum the Barclays Center people (Ratner and Yormark) are: Had this story confirmed for me by someone who would absolutely know: when there was talk the Isles wanted to play games at the Coliseum (Which the Barclays people operate) for the 3 years before Belmont opened Ratner ordered the pouring of concrete down the toilets in all the suites as an act of sabotage to make going back impossible. They also secretly funded the ridiculous lawsuit against the Belmont Arena.

The lesson here should be to not get into business with Russian Oligarchs and their associates 

Edited by #freejame
Disregard, looks like he sold the team to the owner of Ali Baba
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Nate Gerbe back in the NHL and having a nice west coast roadie with goals in LA and Anaheim.

Tonight goals against Ryan Miller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

9-2 final Tampa/canucks

headshot in the Colorado game and Kadre hunts down and unloads on the hitter. Love it. Hold the p ricks responsible if the officials fail. No penalty on the play .

Yep, that'll show 'em. That'll be the end of headshots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yep, that'll show 'em. That'll be the end of headshots.

No not likely but its always satisfying to me to see team mates that have each others backs in those situations. Its a contact sport. A cheap shot was levelled. Guy can’t even get up. Officials dropped the ball. You back him up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sabremike said:

If you wanted to know what complete and utter scum the Barclays Center people (Ratner and Yormark) are: Had this story confirmed for me by someone who would absolutely know: when there was talk the Isles wanted to play games at the Coliseum (Which the Barclays people operate) for the 3 years before Belmont opened Ratner ordered the pouring of concrete down the toilets in all the suites as an act of sabotage to make going back impossible. They also secretly funded the ridiculous lawsuit against the Belmont Arena.

 

ratner.jpg

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

 

Nate Gerbe back in the NHL and having a nice west coast roadie with goals in LA and Anaheim.

Tonight goals against Ryan Miller.

Caught a Torterella interview on the radio the other day.  Very impressed.  Hard nosed guy, but choked up when talking about how Blue Jackets fans had donated a ton of money to the Torterella Family Foundation to help get dogs adopted in the area.  Effort was in response to him getting fined by the NHL.

Blue Jackets were 11 points out of the playoffs on December 7, and have gone 10-1-4 since to tie for the 8th seed.  All this while having the most injuries in the NHL.  They've done it with AHL guys and lunch pail type attitude.  Wish the Sabres had more of that attitude as a team.

Gerbe's name came up in relation to guys coming back from injury and decisions to be made on who to send back down when the time comes.  Torts:  "Gerbe's not going anywhere. I love that guy."  Apparently had brought a lot of energy and hard work to the room.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Caught a Torterella interview on the radio the other day.  Very impressed.  Hard nosed guy, but choked up when talking about how Blue Jackets fans had donated a ton of money to the Torterella Family Foundation to help get dogs adopted in the area.  Effort was in response to him getting fined by the NHL.

Blue Jackets were 11 points out of the playoffs on December 7, and have gone 10-1-4 since to tie for the 8th seed.  All this while having the most injuries in the NHL.  They've done it with AHL guys and lunch pail type attitude.  Wish the Sabres had more of that attitude as a team.

Gerbe's name came up in relation to guys coming back from injury and decisions to be made on who to send back down when the time comes.  Torts:  "Gerbe's not going anywhere. I love that guy."  Apparently had brought a lot of energy and hard work to the room.

Team loses Panarin, Duchene, Dzingel and Bob in free agency, then Murray, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, and Anderson to injury and perform to the level you stated, and competing for the playoffs.  Impressive. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Example # 1,245,975 showing Sportsnet pundits are idiots: Guy just suggested players use playing in the ASG as a bargaining chip to make the league commit to playing in the Olympics. Unless I am mistaken isn't the entire point of the ASG to help fund the player's pension plan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sabremike said:

isn't the entire point of the ASG to help fund the player's pension plan?

I have no idea why they play the ASG, to be honest.  And frankly I don't care whether or not they play in the Olympics.  If they do that's fine, but if not, that's fine too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I have no idea why they play the ASG, to be honest.  And frankly I don't care whether or not they play in the Olympics.  If they do that's fine, but if not, that's fine too.

The reasons are simple.  To allow the upper echelon employees of the league's sponsors to hobnob with the best the league has to offer for a weekend, and to allow casual fans a chance to see a 3 on 3 basketball game on ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The reasons are simple.  To allow the upper echelon employees of the league's sponsors to hobnob with the best the league has to offer for a weekend, and to allow casual fans a chance to see a 3 on 3 basketball game on ice.

And to give the vast majority of the league some much needed down time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shrader said:

And to give the vast majority of the league some much needed down time.

Considered adding that as a rationale, but pretty sure the league brass really doesn't give a rat's bippy about the rank & file.  So, it probably isn't a reason for the ASG (though it gets claimed to be one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I have no idea why they play the ASG, to be honest.  And frankly I don't care whether or not they play in the Olympics.  If they do that's fine, but if not, that's fine too.

I love the Olympics when the best from every country is available. The players want the best on best opportunity as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I love the Olympics when the best from every country is available. The players want the best on best opportunity as well.

Eh.  I'm still stuck in Miracle On Ice mode.  I know things change but I liked the old days when the athletes were (more or less) amateurs.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch a lot of Jets games, and this isn't really a shot at the player, I've never seen a good player (yes, quite good) who stands out less than Mark Scheifele does while scoring at the rate he does. We're talking a near-top 10 league scorer who doesn't really ever look like the best player on the ice. 

The difference between watching him and Eichel is massive to the eye yet Scheifele is nearing him in points. Go figure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Eleven said:

 

ratner.jpg

You are my Brother.  I have no idea what this is all about.  Please explain yourself with that photo, eh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...