Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

4 minutes ago, Tondas said:

My wife asks me why fighting is allowed (or does not require removal from the game) in hockey, but no other sport?  My response is because it's hockey.  Anybody else have a better retort I can give my wife?

Nope. There is no real justification and a big part of why the league has tried to move from it was to draw more women into the audience. That's been documented. Didn't work though. Numbers didn't go up as much as they thought and the league as a whole seems to being accepting of it just being part of the game.

The only argument that exists is if you do not let the players police the game themselves, then the liberties taken get out of hand. This incident imo is an example of how the wrong message gets sent. If you want to accept the league as the legislative body and you suspend Kassian fine, but only if you also suspend Tchakuck  for at least a game for taking the first head shot that wasn't even penalized. 

If they suspend both players I'm ok with it, although I'd still prefer they suspended no one in this case. Matt T getting away with it all and laughing just sends the wrong message, and believe me, someone will get injured bad by him one day and then the talk shows can dust off this old video and we can all debate it again. 

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I would trade our entire team minus Eichel and Dhalin for Kassian right now. At least give us something to be proud of when they get curb-stomped most nights.

I love this.

Although we wouldn't have had the pleasure of watching Cody Hodgson don a Sabres jersey had we kept the young Kassian.

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Keith Tkachuk is probably one of the five greatest American hockey players of all time. Matthew and Brady are also both Americans. I think you’re wrong on the majority of your post, but my biggest issue is calling a red blooded American hockey player Canadian. 

Also, Drew Doughty is (was) one of the best defenders in the league and Tkachuk played him physical and none of what you’re talking about re: McDavid happened. All that happened what Doughty looked like a chump. 

You're right, they are American due to where dad played etc. It's an old hockey family of Canadian descent but yes, I forgot they were born in the U.S. 

Regarding the Doughty thing, yes, that's another incident and what's the common denominator? So ya, you can applaud rat behavior, but I find that funny in a forum that absolutely loathes Brad Marchand :)

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're right, they are American due to where dad played etc. It's an old hockey family of Canadian descent but yes, I forgot they were born in the U.S. 

Regarding the Doughty thing, yes, that's another incident and what's the common denominator? So ya, you can applaud rat behavior, but I find that funny in a forum that absolutely loathes Brad Marchand ?

The Tkachuk, and Fitzgerald, and Hayes families are from Massachusetts.  They are American, and not just because of where Keith played hockey.  I don’t know what old Canadian hockey families you are thinking of.

Edit:  I like Marchand.

Edited by Curt

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Regarding the Doughty thing, yes, that's another incident and what's the common denominator? So ya, you can applaud rat behavior, but I find that funny in a forum that absolutely loathes Brad Marchand ?

Keith Tkachuk was born and raised in America and as I said, is probably one of the five best Americans to ever play hockey. He is American, his sons are American, his wife is American, and his daughter is American. The Tkachuk’s are American and will go down as America’s greatest hockey family. 

The common denominator is that in both instances Tkachuk laid big hits and the other player got pissy. He’s done a lot of punk things, but you literally haven’t brought any of them up. The incident you referred to in the original post I replied to was done by Brady Tkachuk. Either Tkachuk would immediately be our second best player and would likely be most Sabres fans favorite player. 

Edited by #freejame
Correction: his wife is likely Canadian as they met in Winnipeg. I thought she was from St Louis.

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Keith Tkachuk was born and raised in America and as I said, is probably one of the five best Americans to ever play hockey. He is American, his sons are American, his wife is American, and his daughter is American. The Tkachuk’s are American and will go down as America’s greatest hockey family. 

The common denominator is that in both instances Tkachuk laid big hits and the other player got pissy. He’s done a lot of punk things, but you literally haven’t brought any of them up. The incident you referred to in the original post I replied to was done by Brady Tkachuk. Either Tkachuk would immediately be our second best player and would likely be most Sabres fans favorite player. 

You do know that Canadians are also American. 

1 minute ago, Curt said:

North Americans, yes.  United States of Americans, no.

People from the US are often referred to as Americans.  People from Canada are not.  These are true facts.

Have you ever gone across the boarder saying you’re American. The Canadians get pissy about it.  

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t know what old Canadian hockey families you are thinking of.

I don't really pay close enough attention to those things but I guess I was going off some bad old info that isn't true. I thought it went back through Walt. I guess somebody once told me (or I read somewhere) that Keith was Walt's grandson or son and thus I thought Matt and Brady had dual citizenship. Oops. My bad. 

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't really pay close enough attention to those things but I guess I was going off some bad old info that isn't true. I thought it went back through Walt. I guess somebody once told me (or I read somewhere) that Keith was Walt's grandson or son and thus I thought Matt and Brady had dual citizenship. Oops. My bad. 

If their mom is from Winnipeg as someone else previously stated there's a pretty decent chance they are dual citizens.

11 hours ago, SwampD said:

Good Lord. Since when is hitting the guy with the puck taking yourself out of position?

I really hate this line of thinking. I also hate watching most of our team play defense. This whole getting in shooting lanes and getting in passing lanes is such crap. That's what you have to do on the PK. 5v5, put a body on a body and see if the other team can score.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ex-nhl-players-insiders-defend-zack-kassian-and-blast-matt-tkachuks-dangerous-plays

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/former-nhl-referee-refers-to-actions-of-matt-tkachuk-provocateur-who-turtles

https://oilersnation.com/2020/01/14/kassian-id-do-it-again/

There's another one that didn't paste correctly.

10 hours ago, Curt said:

He hit the guy with the puck.  How is that taking himself out of position?

Please see my response to Swamp.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

FTR, I don't think Zach should be facing a hearing, either. As far as I'm concerned, there were two clean hits, Zach was pissed about having been gotten the better of, so he willingly took 4 minutes for putting a beatdown on someone.

Game on. it's over.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bobs0108 said:

You do know that Canadians are also American. 

"American" is the demonym for the US.  Just like "Canadian" is the demonym for Canada and "Mexican" is for the United States of Mexico--and yes, that is the English name of that country.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

FTR, I don't think Zach should be facing a hearing, either. As far as I'm concerned, there were two clean hits, Zach was pissed about having been gotten the better of, so he willingly took 4 minutes for putting a beatdown on someone.

Game on. it's over.

Those were not clean hits, swamp.  Those were Kaleta hits.  Deal.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

"American" is the demonym for the US.  Just like "Canadian" is the demonym for Canada and "Mexican" is for the United States of Mexico--and yes, that is the English name of that country.

Those were not clean hits, swamp.  Those were Kaleta hits.  Deal.

I disagree. It's still legal (thankfully) to hit the guy with the puck.

EDIT: Another FTR. FTR, a lot of Kaleta's hit's were legal, but because he was "Kaleta" they were deemed to not be so. It's BS.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I disagree. It's still legal (thankfully) to hit the guy with the puck.

It isn't legal in that manner, and you need to look at Rule 42.  There is nothing in there about "the guy with the puck."  

Edited by Eleven

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

It isn't, and you need to look at Rule 42.  There is nothing in there about "the guy with the puck."  

Dude, you sound like a lawyer right now. He hit the guy with the puck. Period. He has to skate toward him in order for that to happen, no? Are we to start making calls based on how far the guy skated to engage with the puck carrier if he happened to hit him before he stole the puck?

I love hitting in sports. If I'm forced to watch bag skate games like tonight against Vegas, I will gouge my eyes out.

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Dude, you sound like a lawyer right now. He hit the guy with the puck. Period. He has to skate toward him in order for that to happen, no? Are we to start making calls based on how far the guy skated to engage with the puck carrier if he happened to hit him before he stole the puck?

I love hitting in sports. If I'm forced to watch bag skate games like tonight against Vegas, I will gouge my eyes out.

I still AM a lawyer!  Of course I sound like one!  It's not like I stopped being a lawyer.  I keep my license current.

I gave you quotes from three experts, one of whom is a Hall-of-Famer, all of whom think the hits (plural) were dirty.  You and I never played in the NHL.  I'll take the words of the guys who did.

Edited by Eleven

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I still AM a lawyer!  Of course I sound like one!  It's not like I stopped being a lawyer.  I keep my license current.

I gave you quotes from three experts, one of whom is a Hall-of-Famer, all of whom think the hits (plural) were dirty.  You and I never played in the NHL.  I'll take the words of the guys who did.

Nothing I saw on those links has changed my mind. I'd take Tkachuk on my team tomorrow.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.