Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

4 hours ago, Weave said:

They weren’t head hits, but I thought both those hits were clearly charges.  4+ heavy strides into him.  And with pretty obvious intent to injure.  Kassian was more or less in a position where he wasn’t going to be able to brace for those hits.

Those were live by sword, die by the sword hits.

The first was three strides, which is charging, but no penalty called on the ice.  The second was two strides.  Burke called them clean hits in between periods.   I'll defer to him.  

18 hours ago, Curt said:

I feel like I don’t know exactly what a charge is.  The official rule is super vague and it’s not implemented consistently.  I feel like those two hits were around borderline.

It also shows me that Kassian can’t take a couple hits without getting pissy and feeling like he needs to punch someone.  That’s not really what toughness is to me.

Maybe this should help the zebras.

Number of strides really isn't a thing. Rulebook says "distance traveled" which is not helpful a-tahl.

Here's a player safety video that might help. (Upon actually watching the video, it's about what makes a charging penalty subject to supplemental discipline.)

https://www.nhl.com/video/what-is-charging/t-277350912/c-49890503

Edited by PASabreFan

This won't be popular with some but after watching that if I'm JBot I'm upping my FA offer to Kassian this summer. 

7 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

The first was three strides, which is charging, but no penalty called on the ice.  The second was two strides.  Burke called them clean hits in between periods.   I'll defer to him.  

Burke is in love with Tchachuk so he can never do any wrong for him. First hit was to the head. Second one was cleaner, but he obviously remembered the first one. Tchachuk is the biggest rat in the league. This is what you get in the new nhl that allows him to be what he is. It's hockey, both parts of it but penalizing Kassian more than Tchachuk is wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

This won't be popular with some but after watching that if I'm JBot I'm upping my FA offer to Kassian this summer. 

Burke is in love with Tchachuk so he can never do any wrong for him. First hit was to the head. Second one was cleaner, but he obviously remembered the first one. Tchachuk is the biggest rat in the league. This is what you get in the new nhl that allows him to be what he is. It's hockey, both parts of it but penalizing Kassian more than Tchachuk is wrong. 

Maybe, just maybe the first hit was charging, intentional and a piece of the head.  And maybe Tchachuk had an obligation to answer the bell.  But the second was so clean and there is no reason he should have to drop gloves.  And the Sabres should NOT be in on Kassian, but rather scouting to find the next Matt T.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe one or both of the hits could have been a penalty, but they were part of a hockey play.  Kassian’s response was not a hockey play.  It would be considered assault in any other context.

6 minutes ago, miles said:

i dont understand why he got 2 games for fighting. it was certainly provoked

I don't even think he got a fighting major, just a double minor for roughing.  NHL discipline is a joke. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, miles said:

i dont understand why he got 2 games for fighting. it was certainly provoked

Because punching someone like ten times while they cover up and don’t want to fight is against the law.  Probably because of that.

Edited by Curt

Interesting to note that hockey is the only sport that only penalizes fighting for 5 minutes.  All other sports (except boxing) they get ejected.  What is it about hockey that accepts fighting as a part of the game?

11 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Interesting to note that hockey is the only sport that only penalizes fighting for 5 minutes.  All other sports (except boxing) they get ejected.  What is it about hockey that accepts fighting as a part of the game?

If they take fighting out of the game there will be no more Gordie Howe hat tricks to talk about.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

D bag or not I’d take him on my team in a heartbeat. We are short winners like him on this team for sure. 

And I’m of the exact opposite opinion. (About wanting him on my team). 
I never cared for him. Ever. And being a Bruin, helped even more to hate him. A lot. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

And I’m of the exact opposite opinion. (About wanting him on my team). 
I never cared for him. Ever. And being a Bruin, helped even more to hate him. A lot. ?

It would be nice to have a few players everyone else in the league hated. It would be a clear sign that we’re finally doing something right. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.