Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

58 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Kassian got 4 minutes for roughing and a misconduct and no other penalties.

Someone should get Kassian a helmet that fits. 

52 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Tkachuk, Kassisn or someone like them would be terrific on the Sabres. 

There’s a massive difference between a Tkachuk and Kassian. That’s like saying Buffalo should get a Marchand or Matt Martin type

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Someone should get Kassian a helmet that fits. 

There’s a massive difference between a Tkachuk and Kassian. That’s like saying Buffalo should get a Marchand or Matt Martin type

I didn’t think I had to. I thought people would get the jist of what I was driving at. Ok I guess I need to explain it better.... 

It would be nice to have more players who took the body and played with a physical edge. While at the same time contributing on the scoresheet. 

in other news, water is wet ?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I didn’t think I had to. I thought people would get the jist of what I was driving at. Ok I guess I need to explain it better.... 

It would be nice to have more players who took the body and played with a physical edge. While at the same time contributing on the scoresheet. 

in other news, water is wet ?

I understood what you were saying, but plenty of players would have Kassians numbers playing the role he plays. He doesn’t contribute to his numbers on the scoresheet, he jusy acquires them. The Sabres need drivers, which Tkachuk is, but Kassian is a passenger. 

8 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I understood what you were saying, but plenty of players would have Kassians numbers playing the role he plays. He doesn’t contribute to his numbers on the scoresheet, he jusy acquires them. The Sabres need drivers, which Tkachuk is, but Kassian is a passenger. 

Driver or passenger ... that’s a different discussion. My original post that you replied to was mentioning a desire for a more physical player. Full stop. I didn’t get into drivers, passengers, or pedestrians. Or the difference in them. Just the physicality would be nice to acquire while also contributing on the scoresheet. I also didn’t say a specific players name I wanted. Just a player, who plays physical would be a nice add to the Sabres lineup. If you want to have further discussions of drivers, and passengers of offense, go for it. I wasn’t discussing that in my original post. Perhaps other posters would be interested in that nuance and sub-category of physical players.

Edited by Zamboni

8 hours ago, Weave said:

***** that Kassian is getting a hearing for that.  Ray Ferraro said it well last night, that's the same kind of hits that the league cracked down on Raffe Torres for.  The second hit especially was a blatant charge.

Weave.  I love you.  But any comments about NHL officiating can be equated to pissing in the wind.  

I feel like I don’t know exactly what a charge is.  The official rule is super vague and it’s not implemented consistently.  I feel like those two hits were around borderline.

It also shows me that Kassian can’t take a couple hits without getting pissy and feeling like he needs to punch someone.  That’s not really what toughness is to me.

5 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

+1 on this take.  Clean hits, and he shouldn’t have to answer with a fight to defend.   Kassian will get a heavyweight match up on 1/29.  And I will be watching. 

Ummm, I'm going to say yes, he should. You want to play "old school" heavy hockey, then be prepared to answer the bell when you do so. Players aren't robots, they have emotion, and going after Kassian with the heavy physical checks Tkachuk threw, yea, he's going to have to man up and answer the bell for that, and Kassian made sure he did, rightfully so.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

+1 on this take.  Clean hits, and he shouldn’t have to answer with a fight to defend.   Kassian will get a heavyweight match up on 1/29.  And I will be watching. 

They weren’t head hits, but I thought both those hits were clearly charges.  4+ heavy strides into him.  And with pretty obvious intent to injure.  Kassian was more or less in a position where he wasn’t going to be able to brace for those hits.

Those were live by sword, die by the sword hits.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

They weren’t head hits, but I thought both those hits were clearly charges.  4+ heavy strides into him.  And with pretty obvious intent to injure.  Kassian was more or less in a position where he wasn’t going to be able to brace for those hits.

Those were live by sword, die by the sword hits.

I think there may be an argument for the first hit, but I can't see the second one qualifying as a charge.  He moves in quickly, but he kills a lot of his momentum with that pivot, or at least changes the direction of that momentum.  At that point, it's more Kassian running into him than anything.

And if it's true that Kassian did not get a fighting major for that, it's all the evidence I need to know that the NHL is trying to suppress fighting numbers.That many huge haymakers thrown?  He's fighting.  But hey, if they want to say fights are so rare now, it's easier to back that up by not calling the penalty.

32 minutes ago, shrader said:

I think there may be an argument for the first hit, but I can't see the second one qualifying as a charge.  He moves in quickly, but he kills a lot of his momentum with that pivot, or at least changes the direction of that momentum.  At that point, it's more Kassian running into him than anything.

And if it's true that Kassian did not get a fighting major for that, it's all the evidence I need to know that the NHL is trying to suppress fighting numbers.That many huge haymakers thrown?  He's fighting.  But hey, if they want to say fights are so rare now, it's easier to back that up by not calling the penalty.

That would have to be happening a lot to really question the dramatic decline in fighting.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

That would have to be happening a lot to really question the dramatic decline in fighting.

Fighting has definitely dropped to near non-existent numbers at this point.  I don't question that.  Still, I feel like I've seen a few different times this year where punches were exchanged but only matching roughing minors were assessed.  It makes me wonder.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Fighting has definitely dropped to near non-existent numbers at this point.  I don't question that.  Still, I feel like I've seen a few different times this year where punches were exchanged but only matching roughing minors were assessed.  It makes me wonder.

You need two to tango, though. Only one guy was fighting.

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You need two to tango, though. Only one guy was fighting.

Here's the rule:

"46.1Fighting – A fight shall be deemed to have occurred when at least one player punches or attempts to punch an opponent repeatedly or when two players wrestle in such a manner as to make it difficult for the Linesmen to intervene and separate the combatants.

The Referees are provided very wide latitude in the penalties with which they may impose under this rule. This is done intentionally to enable them to differentiate between the obvious degrees of responsibility of the participants either for starting the fighting or persisting in continuing the fighting. The discretion provided should be exercised realistically."

I really don't know what to make of that second piece, but it clearly states that you don't need "two to tango".  Kassian should have gotten a fighting major there and I don't understand why they wouldn't label it that way.

Edited by shrader
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

Here's the rule:

"46.1Fighting – A fight shall be deemed to have occurred when at least one player punches or attempts to punch an opponent repeatedly or when two players wrestle in such a manner as to make it difficult for the Linesmen to intervene and separate the combatants.

The Referees are provided very wide latitude in the penalties with which they may impose under this rule. This is done intentionally to enable them to differentiate between the obvious degrees of responsibility of the participants either for starting the fighting or persisting in continuing the fighting. The discretion provided should be exercised realistically."

I really don't know what to make of that second piece, but it clearly states that you don't need "two to tango".  Kassian should have gotten a fighting major there and I don't understand why they wouldn't label it that way.

If I remember correctly, I don't think Jack got a fighting penalty when he threw them last month. Didn't he just get roughing and unsportsmanlike?

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

Here's the rule:

That's good stuff. Thanks.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.