GDT - Sabres at Blues - December 27, 2018 - 8:00 PM

Andrew Amerk

I’m not worried about missing the playoffs just yet. 

The daily playoff predictions still have them in right now and Boston even got crushed tonight. 

The concern is things do not get easier in January, but they still do have 23 Games left at home where they have been much better this year. 

I shut it off after 3-0, wow, that was a bad game.... We looked outmatched. I don't blame Hutton much, the first goal was a scramble because of a D breakdown, and goals 2 and 3 were straight up breakdowns by the D. 

Thompson, he looks, not good. Scandella, wow, what happened to him?!

M-stat, he's not an answer to anything at this point, and I'm not sure he'll ever get there, but he's young so he gets the benefit of the doubt. 

Regroup and best Boston, that's a huge game, lose to the west if you must, but win in your division 

17 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I shut it off after 3-0, wow, that was a bad game.... We looked outmatched. I don't blame Hutton much, the first goal was a scramble because of a D breakdown, and goals 2 and 3 were straight up breakdowns by the D. 

Thompson, he looks, not good. Scandella, wow, what happened to him?!

M-stat, he's not an answer to anything at this point, and I'm not sure he'll ever get there, but he's young so he gets the benefit of the doubt. 

Regroup and best Boston, that's a huge game, lose to the west if you must, but win in your division 

We didn’t look outmatches in the sense Stl made us look like a bad team. Serious, concerning lack of secondary scoring is largely to blame. 

Well I am back from  the game.

The Blues games are loud.  Very loud.  Their fans are loyal and they know the game.  They have a set of cheers they follow they get the place going … and the Blues sent them home happy.  Blues games remind me of the Sabres games in the Aud.  The HSBC/First Niagara place is a morgue in comparison.  Large, dark and cavernous.  I saw a bunch of Sabres fans tonight, all dejected as usual but all very hopeful for the promise that could be ahead.

I talked hockey with several Blues fans.  They fear Eichel and are impressed by him.  They like what is happening to Buffalo hockey finally, especially with us un another conference.   Several wondered why we were so bad with Kane, Eichel and ROR.  I told them our goaltending and defense were minor league level last year. 

On to the game.  I am very down.  My record for Sabres games in St Louis is essentially 0-16, attending games on and off since 1988.  I saw a few ties, last year was a shootout loss, but never have I seen a Sabres win in St. Louis. 

You guys saw it.  Other than the first line we have no mojo.  I thought Hutton blew the first goal.   Defensive lapses lead to the others.  Our Power play got a goal but really looked bad on the first attempt.  Eichel's line provided all off the offense. 

Seeing Mitts and Tage up close, I was in the 17th row, it was obvious they are very marginal NHL players.   Tage does not play with NHL coordination.   He muffed chances to shoot and to pass and he was very poor on breakouts.  Mitts, I don't know?  He needs to be stronger and I think he needs to go to the AHL for awhile.  He plays without confidence. 

Watching Sobotka and Tage versus ROR was humbling.  I would not make that trade again.  Not sure we would be the same team with ROR in our locker room but he was one of the best players on the ice every time he was on it. 

Dahlin missed a golden chance to score.  He let someone get behind him again and made a few careless plays.  He excited the crowd a few times with his speed and moves.  He gets "snuffed out" at times, that will change once he gets stronger.

Was not impressed with Scandella's game and prefer to see Beaulieu.  I think Nathan brings more offense and more grit too.  I think McCabe should be on 1D pair with Risto, not Pilut. 

Sheary plays alone.  Very noticeable player, high motor, always working but there is never another Sabre with him to create offense. 

KO and Sobotka did nothing.  E-rod at least hustles and shoots the puck.  Ellie should not see the ice anymore.  He refuses to shoot. 

For our next game, which is at home, I think calling up a player from Rochester to replace Eliie would be wise. 

Overall  the Sabres were totally outplayed, they took long periods off with no offense generated, and they were careless in their own end.   If you did not look at the standings before the game you would think the Blues were the superior team.   Making it worse, some of the worst performing players on the Blues team scored today.   Last years lousy Sabres team came in here and took the Blues to a shootout. 

I paid almost $450 for 3 tickets.  That hurts. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Well I am back form the game.

The Blues games are loud.  Very loud.  Their fans are loyal and they know the game.  They have a set of cheers they follow they get the place going … and the Blues sent them home happy.  Blues games remind me of the Sabres games in the Aud.  The HSBC/First Niagara place is a morgue in comparison.  Large, dark and cavernous.  I saw a bunch of Sabres fans tonight, all dejected as usual but all very hopeful for the promise that could be ahead.

I talked hockey with several Blues fans.  They fear Eichel and are impressed by him.  They like what is happening to Buffalo hockey finally, especially with us un another conference.   Several wondered why we were so bad with Kane, Eichel and ROR.  I told them our goaltending and defense were minor league level last year. 

On to the game.  I am very down.  My record for Sabres games in St Louis is essentially 0-16, attending games on and off since 1988.  I saw a few ties, last year was a shootout loss, but never have I seen a Sabres win in St. Louis. 

You guys saw it.  Other than the first line we have no mojo.  I thought Hutton blew the first goal.   Defensive lapses lead to the others.  Our Power play got a goal but really looked bad on the first attempt.  Eichel's line provided all off the offense. 

Seeing Mitts and Tage up close, I was in the 17th row, it was obvious they are very marginal NHL players.   Tage does not play with NHL coordination.   He muffed chances to shoot and to pass and he was very poor on breakouts.  Mitts, I don't know?  He needs to be stronger and I think he needs to go to the AHL for awhile.  He plays without confidence. 

Watching Sobotka and Tage versus ROR was humbling.  I would not make that trade again.  Not sure we would be the same team with ROR in our locker room but he was one of the best players on the ice every time he was on it. 

Dahlin missed a golden chance to score.  He let someone get behind him again and made a few careless plays.  He excited the crowd a few times with his speed and moves.  He gets "snuffed out" at times, that will change once he gets stronger.

Was not impressed with Scandella's game and prefer to see Beaulieu.  I think Nathan brings more offense and more grit too.  I think McCabe should be on 1D pair with Risto, not Pilut. 

Sheary plays alone.  Very noticeable player, high motor, always working but there is never another Sabre with him to create offense. 

KO and Sobotka did nothing.  E-rod at least hustles and shoots the puck.  Ellie should not see the ice anymore.  He refuses to shoot. 

For our next game, which is at home, I think calling up a player from Rochester to replace Eliie would be wise. 

Overall  the Sabres were totallhy outplayed, they took long periods off with no offense generated, and they were careless in their own end.   If you did not look at the standings before the game you would think the Blues were the superior team.   Making to worse, some of the worst performing players on the Blues team scored today.   Last years Sabres came in here and took the Blues to a shootout. 

I agree and I feel you.  I live in Florida and my yearly ventures to see them play the Panthers and I am like 2-10.  I really believe it's time for kids to start coming up.  You cant get worse then forwards on 2nd and 3rd line save Sheary and E rod.  I am sure Jbot is watching.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Well I am back form the game.

Overall  the Sabres were totallhy outplayed, they took long periods off with no offense generated, and they were careless in their own end.   If you did not look at the standings before the game you would think the Blues were the superior team.   Making to worse, some of the worst performing players on the Blues team scored today.   Last years Sabres came in here and took the Blues to a shootout. 

I’m fairly confident that your attendance had nothing to do with result, but 0-16 might require a ban on you seeing your beloved.  And $450 for three seats in St. Louis when they struggling surprises me.  I agree we need a call up.  Elie to Roch should happen by Saturday.  Give the writers for the News and the fans something to talk about.  I think CJ, Oloffsson and Nylander are destined for a spot sooner or later.  Give one or two a shot and see if they click. 

On the bright side, the Bruins lost tonight as well, and the Habs put Carey Price on IR today.  If we win Saturday, it could be five points up on the Bruins and six on the Habs if they fall in Florida tomorrow.  Hopefully tonight was a wake up call and they get their north game going next time.  

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’m not worried about missing the playoffs just yet. 

The daily playoff predictions still have them in right now and Boston even got crushed tonight. 

The concern is things do not get easier in January, but they still do have 23 Games left at home where they have been much better this year. 

I'm certainly worried about it, in that it isn't close to a sure thing. Boston is going to, very likely, finish in the top 3 in the Atlantic. There's little separating the Sabres and the Habs right now. It may come down to Sabres v Islanders for the final spot: We are 7 points up and they have 3 games in hand. It's very tight and we aren't yet half way through the season.

It'll be quite interesting. It could be for better or worse that the expectations were raised after the winning streak, to playoffs being the expectation.

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

It's a good question for Botterill, more like. 

2 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

That is a coach's job. Stop putting the blame on the roster and take the blame for yourself. 

If it's the player's fault for no secondary scoring, why even bother having a head coach?

See above. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Do you think they were looking forward to the next game against their arch nemesis and arch dastardly Bruins?

There's a whiff of "we're big shots, just put your stick on the ice" with this team. You see how they play when really challenged. Then there's Florida, St. Louis, (insert name of another lowlight they lost to)...

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There's a whiff of "we're big shots, just put your stick on the ice" with this team. You see how they play when really challenged. Then there's Florida, St. Louis, (insert name of another lowlight they lost to)...

Which is fine for the top line... but the rest of them need to work... Larry worked, Girgs worked but was off as he is sometimes... maybe a step slow from too much eats over break... but the rest of them including the D... Mitts needs some time in the A, I finally agree, kid needs to gain back his moxie and learn to be stronger on the puck...and in the corners.

In the #fakehockeynews department...

Things went south in the second period, but it really wasn’t Hutton’s fault. On the Blues first goal, Robert Thomas was allowed to just stand there and get two or three pokes at the puck before it went in.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-hutton-didnt-have-result-he-wanted-out-holiday-break

I can hear Hammy now in the postgame. "There wasn't much you could do on the scramble goal, right, Carter?"

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.