Mittelstadt Signed ELC with Sabres reports directly to Buffalo

Brawndo

I'd like to see him on Jack's wing

I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t. No better way to get introduced to the NHL than on the wing of a guy who will get you the puck. We’ll move him to center the next s ason if he shows he can beat out ROR for the job.

Awful on so many levels.

1) puts this kid into the NHL two years too early. In what universe is the consensus best prospect outside the NHL in any way close to being able to play in the NHL?

2) totally ###### the Amerks chances to do anything the playoffs. Botterill had a chance to help help our minor league team by forcing Mittelstadt to play there, but instead - as he typically does - put his own selfish desires ahead of the best interests of a proud minor league franchise.

3) provides false hope to our fan base who will somehow think adding top young talent to the roster will give them reason to start watching again. This has Brandon written all over it.

4) gets Sabrespacers we haven’t heard from outside the BIlls and booze threads in months talking hockey again. I won’t stand for it.

I feel attacked.

If P-house has one advantage over Bylsma, its that I have at least some confidence that Casey's first shift won't be with Nolan and Pouliot or something.

Whether or not these guys ever become great players and lead our moribund franchise to better things, at least it’s good to know that our GM can get things done. It gives one hope.

I remember feeling the same way when XGMTM signed Moulson back after trading him away at the deadline.  :P

Isn't there a chance he told GMBot "I'm going back to college for another year unless I get an ELC and can play an NHL game"?

You need to keep in mind that the team itself may have no interest in getting Mittelstadt into the AHL playoffs.  Borgen's got 3 years of college hockey under his belt.  That's a lot of extra time for physical development to where he could be much more suited for the grind of a professional playoff series than Mittelstadt would be.  This is the time to get Casey his quick cup of tea and then give him a full offseason with the organization.

You have to think the first offer from JBOT was Amerks for the playoffs and then Buffalo camp, right?

You need to keep in mind that the team itself may have no interest in getting Mittelstadt into the AHL playoffs.  Borgen's got 3 years of college hockey under his belt.  That's a lot of extra time for physical development to where he could be much more suited for the grind of a professional playoff series than Mittelstadt would be.  This is the time to get Casey his quick cup of tea and then give him a full offseason with the organization.

No, I think Shrader is correct in their thinking. Come play 5-7 games burn a year. Then have the entire offseason with the Sabres facilities and trainers at your disposal to get ready for the 2018 preseason. 

Borgen will be at best another Pysyk which would actually be GREAT! As for Casey, it don;t matter what he does it won;t be good enough for some.I do love the idea of putting him with Nylander and hope they click. This team needs Nylander to become a NHL'er soon and we have absolutely nothing to lose by putting them together and see what happens. 

"I think there was some concern with this pick when you go back and look at how committed is he going to be. And it wasn't just the HS decision but when we saw him at the combine, he struggled with the pull-up and he struggled with the bench press." - Combine TV Host guy person thing. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

makes sense to me :thumbsup:

I'm glad he's signed, but believe he would be better off in Rochester.

What jacked up rule prevents him from playing for Rochester in the playoffs?   That makes no sense... why?

In the general sense, the AHL doesn't want NHL teams to send their "good" players down as ringers. In this case, I think the rule is something like: if a player has played an NHL game this season, they are ineligible for the AHL playoffs unless there were on the AHL team at some date (it was a few weeks ago). 

In the general sense, the AHL doesn't want NHL teams to send their "good" players down as ringers. In this case, I think the rule is something like: if a player has played an NHL game this season, they are ineligible for the AHL playoffs unless there were on the AHL team at some date (it was a few weeks ago). 

I get that part of it, but you'd think there would an exception for kids who played college the current season and just turned pro.   It would be best for their development if they were allowed to do so.

Oh you mean like the Rangers needed Vessey right away? Middlestadt is far better than Vessey was.

Vesey was a 22 year old senior who scored 24-22-46 in 33gp to win the Hobey Baker. Mittelstadt is a 19 year old freshman with 0 muscle who's scored 11-19-30 in 34gp. Mittelstadt should be better than Vesey, and is better than Vesey was his freshman year. He is in no way shape or form better than Vesey was when he came into the NHL though

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.