Mittelstadt Signed ELC with Sabres reports directly to Buffalo

Brawndo

I agree that there is plenty of strength in Eichel's stride. However, I'd also note that Soupy's skating style included plenty of the "quick/small" moves and he was probably the 2nd-best skating defenseman the Sabres have ever had.

Oh I’m not saying you can’t be fast...just more efficient.

Didn't he not negotiate during the season though? He definitely didn't for Drury and Briere.

He HAD a ####ing deal worked out w/ Drury in late October '06 (you know, AFTER the season had started) but it sat on Golisano's desk for several weeks. By the time Golisano got around to signing off on it, Drury had decided not to negotiate in season & told them he'd sign a deal as soon as the season ended.

Drury walking was NOT on Regier.

Well, he definitely needs to toughen up.    An athlete going pro, in the flower of his youth, with such meager physical strength?  This is the NHL, not the PGA.  I'm kind of shocked at the lack of physical culture evidenced there.  Maybe that's typical of kids these days?  I dunno.

A scary thought - imagine if he'd been training for the Combine for months before and was still that weak? Jeebus!   

There's a reason that sports writers were astonished, and not in a good way, at his performance (or lack of) in the combine, and raised red caution flags.   Danger, Will Robinson, Danger, Danger, Danger!!..... 

There's a very good chance, unless he improves majorly, he'll get pushed off the puck like a wet dishrag by NHL d-men.    He could make floaters like Ville Leino and Cody Hodgson look like the "Bruise Brothers" in comparison!    Honestly, with his current physical state, he really needs to start in the AHL and work his way up- and hopefully the strength and conditioning trainers can light a fire and bulk him up with nutrition and rigorous lifting with heavy weights and low reps  

Edited by Jsixspd

Well, he definitely needs to toughen up. An athlete going pro, in the flower of his youth, with such meager physical strength? This is the NHL, not the PGA. I'm kind of shocked at the lack of physical culture evidenced there. Maybe that's typical of kids these days? I dunno.

A scary thought - imagine if he'd been training for the Combine for months before and was still that weak? Jeebus!

There's a reason that sports writers were astonished, and not in a good way, at his performance (or lack of) in the combine, and raised red caution flags. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger, Danger, Danger!!.....

There's a very good chance, unless he improves majorly, he'll get pushed off the puck like a wet dishrag by NHL d-men. He could make floaters like Ville Leino and Cody Hodgson look like the "Bruise Brothers" in comparison! Honestly, with his current physical state, he really needs to start in the AHL and work his way up- and hopefully the strength and conditioning trainers can light a fire and bulk him up with nutrition and rigorous lifting with heavy weights and low reps

Haha what? Lol this was funny.

For the record, Mittlestadt got to Minnesota, saw the trainer, got an adjustment, did bench and pull ups without issue.

Haha what? Lol this was funny.

For the record, Mittlestadt got to Minnesota, saw the trainer, got an adjustment, did bench and pull ups without issue.

Good to know.  I hadn't heard how much he had improved at Minnesota.

Glad that others don't see Casey's skating as being anything less than excellent.  The agility and speed are quite evident.

The hockey IQ is there too.

You're describing Jack's skating stance.

I see what you're saying. Good point, I see some of that in Jack too. It would be interesting to see them skate together.

Well, he definitely needs to toughen up.    An athlete going pro, in the flower of his youth, with such meager physical strength?  This is the NHL, not the PGA.  I'm kind of shocked at the lack of physical culture evidenced there.  Maybe that's typical of kids these days?  I dunno.

There's a reason that sports writers were astonished, and not in a good way, at his performance (or lack of) in the combine, and raised red caution flags.   Danger, Will Robinson, Danger, Danger, Danger!!..... 

There's a very good chance, unless he improves majorly, he'll get pushed off the puck like a wet dishrag by NHL d-men.    He could make floaters like Ville Leino and Cody Hodgson look like the "Bruise Brothers" in comparison!    Honestly, with his current physical state, he really needs to start in the AHL and work his way up- and hopefully the strength and conditioning trainers can light a fire and bulk him up with nutrition and rigorous lifting with heavy weights and low reps  

He's not a powdered forward... his game is all about elusiveness.    I'm not too concerned about his diminutive physique.

I do love the idea of putting him with Nylander and hope they click. This team needs Nylander to become a NHL'er soon and we have absolutely nothing to lose by putting them together and see what happens. 

I tell you what we'd lose, both of their services. This isn't the old NHL, but it's still big and strong enough to bash two weaklings into oblivion and turn them into scared chickens. I know this won't be popular cause he's the great hope and all that but in no way do I think he is physically ready for the NHL. Kid needs a solid year or two building up muscle and becoming a man before he will be what we all want from him. I fear they will rush things and ruin him. 

Glad he signed, but they need a slow development path for him. I hope he can be what we want, 2 years from now, maybe even 3. 

Per Botterill will practice with team on Wednesday and plan on him playing on Thursday.

Also said Mittelstadt will start at center

I’m seeing Okposo almost certainly on the right side and likely Pouliot on the left.

Former Gopher, fellow Minnesotan and high pick Kyle is a natural mentor for him.

Of course if they really want him to succeed, they will play him with Reinhart, who has brought out the best in everyone save the irredeemable Seth Griffith.

And LOL at the diminutive comments.

6ft 201lbs is small? .... the ###### is going on in here

Beanpole.

Remember, most of Sabrespace averages 5’9”, 237, depending on how many wings they had with last nights Genny creams.

Edited by dudacek

Did not expect negativity in a thread about MiddleEarth signing his ELC.   This season's suckage knows no bounds.

What about apathy?

I will feel nothing about anything that takes place off the ice with this team. We've won too many offseasons before.

I'll care when they start winning.

The season is over. The games are, generally speaking, useless. Know what wouldn't be useless? Using Mittelstadt's presence as an opportunity to get a look at O'Reilly on Eichel's wing.

If Casey can be an NHL center, yes. All the yes. Edited by Skurk Liger

Per Botterill will practice with team on Wednesday and plan on him playing on Thursday.

Also said Mittelstadt will start at center

Wait. 

Botterill said he's playing center?   I thought that was the coaches job to decide?

Sounds like JBOTs has taken the wheel.

Come on, pi.

You have got to be kidding, right?

Phil was non-committal in today's interview about what position he would play, said they would look at it tomorrow and after practice.

Overruled by JBOTs!

It's a completely valid path for Casey to get his feet wet, get a taste of what it takes to compete in the NHL for 82 games (Clayton Keller said this was an enormous influence on his breakout season this year), and then play in Rochester for much of next year like Kyle Connor did. He looks great in Winnipeg right now.

Wouldn't it be cool, though, if Casey made us laugh at the thought of sending him to Rochester?

It's a completely valid path for Casey to get his feet wet, get a taste of what it takes to compete in the NHL for 82 games (Clayton Keller said this was an enormous influence on his breakout season this year), and then play in Rochester for much of next year like Kyle Connor did. He looks great in Winnipeg right now.

Wouldn't it be cool, though, if Casey made us laugh at the thought of sending him to Rochester?

A boy can dream...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.