Mittelstadt Signed ELC with Sabres reports directly to Buffalo

Brawndo

Vesey was a 22 year old senior who scored 24-22-46 in 33gp to win the Hobey Baker. Mittelstadt is a 19 year old freshman with 0 muscle who's scored 11-19-30 in 34gp. Mittelstadt should be better than Vesey, and is better than Vesey was his freshman year. He is in no way shape or form better than Vesey was when he came into the NHL though

5 games though and then get him bigger this summer PS you forget he had a back realignment when he went to Minn and promptly did 8 pullups if memory serves right. That and his legs are stout... upper body may need more work but generally guys physically mature a lot between 19 and 21. Clavicles fully ossify by 21 the last bones in the body to do so. Edited by North Buffalo

I get that part of it, but you'd think there would an exception for kids who played college the current season and just turned pro.   It would be best for their development if they were allowed to do so.

There is. Sign an ATO. Borgen did this. Casey's situation was different as has been detailed above.

You need to keep in mind that the team itself may have no interest in getting Mittelstadt into the AHL playoffs.  Borgen's got 3 years of college hockey under his belt.  That's a lot of extra time for physical development to where he could be much more suited for the grind of a professional playoff series than Mittelstadt would be.  This is the time to get Casey his quick cup of tea and then give him a full offseason with the organization.

I like this scenario, but if Jeremy White’s Super Secret Source is to be believed they offered Casey the choice of an ATO for Rochester for the playoffs or an ELC.

I think he made the right choice by signing the ELC with Buffalo instead and Bob McKenzie did mention he is a possibility to play for Team USA in the World Championship in May.

I get that part of it, but you'd think there would an exception for kids who played college the current season and just turned pro.   It would be best for their development if they were allowed to do so.

they could still send him down if he doesn't play a single second.  but I guess it won't happen.

5 games though and then get him bigger this summer PS you forget he had a back realignment when he went to Minn and promptly did 8 pullups if memory serves right. That and his legs are stout... upper body may need more work but generally guys physically mature a lot between 19 and 21. Clavicles fully ossify by 21 the last bones in the body to do so.

That's not my point though. My point is that Mittelstadt is nowhere near as ready for the NHL as Vesey was

There is. Sign an ATO. Borgen did this. Casey's situation was different as has been detailed above.

I understand that, but the fact he can't play a few games for BUF then get sent down (like they could do next season) doesn't make much sense.   

It's a dumb idea if the goal is to just prevent AHL teams from stacking their roster for the playoffs.    If a guy doesn't need to clear waivers to be sent down, then it shouldn't matter when.   

I guess I'm trying to figure out in what situation it would make sense to have that rule.

I know he looked amazing in the WJC, but 30 points in 34 college games hardly seems like a slam-dunk case for coming out early and burning a year of the ELC, just so he can get in six games with a historically bad team. Seems like another year in college would be more appropriate, but what do I know. I hope it works out.  

Awesome work JBotts.

Does anyone else see a little bit of Grigorenko in Casey's skating?  Don't get me wrong, Casey's going to be everything that Grigo was supposed to be and more. It's just that the general lack of strength seems to show with him skating more erect and not always on top of his blades.  Age, gym, and a skating coach should solve all of these issues.

So we have: Mittelstadt, Borgen, Peterson, & Glotov added this Spring.   We need to get Asplund signed next as soon as his season is over.

Casey Fitzgerald is going to be a senior.  His numbers have dropped, but I think that part of that is the rest of the BC squad not being as strong.

Should we try to sign him now?

What about Budik and Bryson?

How about some college UFAs now?

Word was that Brinkley has closed the door on Sabres. 

I know he looked amazing in the WJC, but 30 points in 34 college games hardly seems like a slam-dunk case for coming out early and burning a year of the ELC, just so he can get in six games with a historically bad team. Seems like another year in college would be more appropriate, but what do I know. I hope it works out.  

I agree. For me, 2018-2019 in Rochester (a full year) would be/would have been great.....that year in college would be my second choice...then you see how he is in Training camp 2019 and see if he is able to make the team then.  

But we'll see...if he isn't ready for the NHL, we will know soon enough...if he is...then great.

Oh you mean like the Rangers needed Vessey right away? Middlestadt is far better than Vessey was.

Well...

Vesey was a 22 year old senior who scored 24-22-46 in 33gp to win the Hobey Baker. Mittelstadt is a 19 year old freshman with 0 muscle who's scored 11-19-30 in 34gp. Mittelstadt should be better than Vesey, and is better than Vesey was his freshman year. He is in no way shape or form better than Vesey was when he came into the NHL though

And Vesey had 16 goals as an NHL rookie and has 17 so far in his 2nd season. 

I'm not at all confident that Casey will hit those #s.

That plan worked out great for Darcy.

Well, when you consider that Regier actually DID negotiate w/ players during his tenure, the snark doesn't quite hit the mark.

And, other than possibly Nelson, who looks like he'll be an NHL but is still VERY unproven & looked like a career AHLer last year, which UFA did you want getting rewarded w/ a new deal on a squad picking up ~40% of their available points?

I'd like to see him on Jack's wing

Absolutely. Give him a 6 game look w/ Eichel & Okposo. If Kyle can't cut it due to the concussion try Rodriques or Bailey as the grinder for that line. (Want to keep Reinhart w/ O'Reilly.) Heck, give Fasching a 1 game look there if none of those other 3 work.

Awesome work JBotts.

Does anyone else see a little bit of Grigorenko in Casey's skating?  Don't get me wrong, Casey's going to be everything that Grigo was supposed to be and more. It's just that the general lack of strength seems to show with him skating more erect and not always on top of his blades.  Age, gym, and a skating coach should solve all of these issues.

So we have: Mittelstadt, Borgen, Peterson, & Glotov added this Spring.   We need to get Asplund signed next as soon as his season is over.

Casey Fitzgerald is going to be a senior.  His numbers have dropped, but I think that part of that is the rest of the BC squad not being as strong.

Peterson?

And Vesey had 16 goals as an NHL rookie and has 17 so far in his 2nd season. 

I'm not at all confident that Casey will hit those #s.

You don't think he can put up Reinhart numbers 23 and 17 he posted at 20 and 21 years old?

5 games though and then get him bigger this summer PS you forget he had a back realignment when he went to Minn and promptly did 8 pullups if memory serves right. That and his legs are stout... upper body may need more work but generally guys physically mature a lot between 19 and 21. Clavicles fully ossify by 21 the last bones in the body to do so.

At his first Buffalo presser,  they should have him do some pull ups.  Just to humor us.   

Awesome work JBotts.

You're describing Jack's skating stance.

I understand that, but the fact he can't play a few games for BUF then get sent down (like they could do next season) doesn't make much sense.   

It's a dumb idea if the goal is to just prevent AHL teams from stacking their roster for the playoffs.    If a guy doesn't need to clear waivers to be sent down, then it shouldn't matter when.   

I guess I'm trying to figure out in what situation it would make sense to have that rule.

Now I get it. You're under the impression the AHL 1> cares about people's development and 2> makes sense. :)

Awesome work JBotts.

Does anyone else see a little bit of Grigorenko in Casey's skating? Don't get me wrong, Casey's going to be everything that Grigo was supposed to be and more. It's just that the general lack of strength seems to show with him skating more erect and not always on top of his blades. Age, gym, and a skating coach should solve all of these issues.

No, I see none of grigorenko's lack of speed or agility in Mittelstadt. None.

You're describing Jack's skating stance.

Which is a head up long powerful stride. No lack of strength in that style. IMO it’s just the opposite. Why make lots of quick, small and inefficient moves to get to speed when long, powerful efficient moves are better?

If a guy ties loose laces or a eye or two down so he has greater ankle flexibility, then he can get more speed with less moves IMO.

Which is a head up long powerful stride. No lack of strength in that style. IMO it’s just the opposite. Why make lots of quick, small and inefficient moves to get to speed when long, powerful efficient moves are better?

If a guy ties loose laces or a eye or two down so he has greater ankle flexibility, then he can get more speed with less moves IMO.

I agree that there is plenty of strength in Eichel's stride.  However, I'd also note that Soupy's skating style included plenty of the "quick/small" moves and he was probably the 2nd-best skating defenseman the Sabres have ever had.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.