Eichel Deal Done: 8 years 80 Million

Brawndo

Ever get the impression Jack hates to lose?

I think he said it best.  I've proven nothing.  If you look at it, I've put up two mediocre seasons on a losing hockey club.  I want to stay in Buffalo and help them win.  He's Buffalo hockey.  He has the Boston street mentality that he'll put in the work to bring it back.

You know, ankles and stuff.

On a more serious note, how the ###### are we ever going to afford Casey?

There's no way he will ever sign for less. Hear he is already making plans for four years in Minnesota then UFA.

Until you cite a source I will regard this as #fakenews.

Agreed. The last few seasons have seen a changing of the way teams do things, probably for the better - you're basically paying fair value for a player's best years.

I wonder if a 29-year-old Jack and Connor and Auston will be looking at pay cuts on their UFA contracts.

Not likely.  In 8 years they'll be earning what middle six forwards are making in the league.

FFS, anyone coming with the “great news, but ....”

C’mon.

Sometimes I like to remind myself that we are even IN a situation where we are paying a player 80 million friggin dollars, and the general response is "pretty reasonable". It's nice to have that guy.

He's not Lemieux, or McDavid or Crosby. But already at age 20, he's shown that at any given stretch, he can be the BEST HOCKEY PLAYER IN THE WORLD, as he showed in the month or several month period shortly after he had returned from injury - when he led the best hockey league in the world in points.

I like Eich. I'm excited to see him take his game to to the next level this season.

Edited by Thorny

I'm glad the deal is done and if he has a great season this deal will look smart and if he doesn't then.......

Someone mentioned % of cap now compares to Toews, Kane, Crosby and Geno.  Well one of these things is not like the others.  Each of those for have 3 rings, Jack has none.  Talk about putting the cart before the horse.  What has this kid earned? 

I'm glad the deal is done and if he has a great season this deal will look smart and if he doesn't then.......

Someone mentioned % of cap now compares to Toews, Kane, Crosby and Geno. Well one of these things is not like the others. Each of those for have 3 rings, Jack has none. Talk about putting the cart before the horse. What has this kid earned?

I just think, as others have mentioned, the paradigm is starting to shift. Instead of getting paid for what you have done, players are getting payed for what they will do.

We can sit here all day and ask "what has Jack done", but really, even if Jack is a more aggressive example, what has Connor McDavid, done, really, relative to the great Sidney Crosby? Ya, McDavid won a hart and a Art Ross. That's a regular spring for Sidney, and usually just the tip of th iceberg for him, too. And he's been doing it for a decade.

Yet McDavid is being paid significantly more than this guy. What has he done to deserve that, really.

But the truth is, McDavid does deserve it, in that players are starting to get paid for potential, and not accomplishments. It's up to the GMs to properly quantify that potential.

I trust JB.

Edited by Thorny

Until you cite a source I will regard this as #fakenews.

Woof!!

:beer:

Blind squirrell, something something.

:flirt:

Jack hasn't earned this contract yet, but McDavid hasn't either.

Crosby and Malkin both bridged, IIRC, and really started to earn that contract and by the end of it really earned their current contracts.  Crosby really took a big discount, as Mario had done before him to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh, to help ensure the Pens were competitive.  The result 3 cups and the last 2 in a row.

Times have changed somewhat in that we now are seeing teams willing to pay for great potential and not bridge to the potential and then pay once the potential has been achieved.

So... this is perfectly scripted.

This deal has been done, which is why there was very little talk about it.  There's no need to announce it until the most opportune time to do it.

You want to set up the buzz for your season?  Announce the signing right before the start and then settle the debate on the "C" by announcing him the day of the first game.

It works and I think it's a great contract.  As critical as I am of Jack at times... I do believe he will become one of the best players to have ever worn the Sabres logo.  Things are going in the right direction and as a Sabres fan, I'm extremely excited.

Someone mentioned % of cap now compares to Toews, Kane, Crosby and Geno. Well one of these things is not like the others. Each of those for have 3 rings, Jack has none. Talk about putting the cart before the horse. What has this kid earned?

He's earned a new contract and it's the going rate for a player of his ilk.

This how many rings thing is a weak argument. If that's the case Justin Williams should be the highest paid player in all of sports.

Still love this video... at 1:25 of that video, Reinhart, being fine. 

Someone mentioned % of cap now compares to Toews, Kane, Crosby and Geno.  Well one of these things is not like the others.  Each of those for have 3 rings, Jack has none.  Talk about putting the cart before the horse.  What has this kid earned? 

Toews isn't worth his contract

Best thing is , Toronto fans are now wondering how they'll pay Matthews ( he'll ask for more), Marner and Nylander :P

10.5 mill was my high mark though, his agent can tell me he left money on the table, but in my mind he would have signed for 9.5 mill then.

Question. What will Pi do if Matthews signs for say 1-2mil more than Jack? Does that make him partially right about Matthews being money driven?

Woof!!

:flirt:

Jack hasn't earned this contract yet, but McDavid hasn't either.

Crosby and Malkin both bridged, IIRC, and really started to earn that contract and by the end of it really earned their current contracts.  Crosby really took a big discount, as Mario had done before him to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh, to help ensure the Pens were competitive.  The result 3 cups and the last 2 in a row.

Times have changed somewhat in that we now are seeing teams willing to pay for great potential and not bridge to the potential and then pay once the potential has been achieved.

And I wonder how much that has impacted contracts. Jack, McDavid, any others who left money because they saw how a dynasty is built?

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.