Eichel Deal Done: 8 years 80 Million

Brawndo

Picking nits, but he was a good young player behind a leadership core that did not include him - didn't that team have Pronger, Selanne, Niedermeyer, Giguere etc?

Getzlaf was the best forward on that team, but that team won because Pronger and Niedermayer were dominant and the best defensive pair in a generation.

Getzlaf was the best forward on that team, but that team won because Pronger and Niedermayer were dominant and the best defensive pair in a generation.

I think you have the wrong year.

He had 58 points that season in a year where the Sabres had like ten guys go over sixty. 

Selanne, on that team, had 94.

Getzlaf did break out the next year however. 

He had 58 points that season in a year where the Sabres had like ten guys go over sixty. 

Selanne, on that team, had 94.Getzlaf did break out the next year however.

Led the Ducks in playoff points that year, though.

He was definitely a young stud. Just not a leadership focal point, because of the aforementioned HHOFers leading the charge. It was Getzlaf's first full NHL season.

Yup. But he was definitely leading the offensive charge for the Ducks in the playoffs. I distinctly remember him being very good, as I was rooting for the Ducks to take out the Sens, who beat us. Selanne was raving about him in the post game interviews.

Those playoffs were his break out party.

But your point, that he didn't "lead them to the cup" is true. The Vet leaders on D had the greatest impact.

I like to think of Eich as Getzlaf with rockets in his skates. 

I also like to remember that if Eich had taken Getzlaf's development path, right now we'd be looking forward to the second game of his career, on his way to a ~40 something point season. (adjusting for era)

Eich is a stud and we're lucky to have him.

His upside is well above Getzlaf. But the stylistic comparison is definitely something I've noticed before. They do pass/handle the puck quite similarly. The "rockets in his skates" bit completes it.

Everyone thinks Jack gave us a bargain price but did he?

Everyone? Do you mean no one?

Because I literally know no one who thinks Eichel signed for a bargain.

Otherwise, I found the post a bit strange.

I do agree that finding Eichel’s principal winger is big on the to-do list.

What was Getzlafs max points and how old was he?

91 points at 23 years old. For reference there was 7 players with 90+ points that year, and he was 7th among them. Iginla had 89, and a few others had 88 points. Last year, outside of McDavid, nobody had more than 90 points. Although Crosby and Kane both had 89 points

Selanne, on that team, had 94.

Getzlaf did break out the next year however. 

Led the Ducks in playoff points that year, though.

He was definitely a young stud. Just not a leadership focal point, because of the aforementioned HHOFers leading the charge. It was Getzlaf's first full NHL season.

Yup. But he was definitely leading the offensive charge for the Ducks in the playoffs. I distinctly remember him being very good, as I was rooting for the Ducks to take out the Sens, who beat us. Selanne was raving about him in the post game interviews.

Those playoffs were his break out party.

But your point, that he didn't "lead them to the cup" is true. The Vet leaders on D had the greatest impact.

Good hockey history here boys.

His upside is well above Getzlaf. But the stylistic comparison is definitely something I've noticed before. They do pass/handle the puck quite similarly. The "rockets in his skates" bit completes it.

This.

Plus when I said he led them to the cup its because in the playoffs he emerged to be what he is (was). Playoff stats are way more important to me than regular season ones. of course there were other players on that team that played a role, one guy never wins you a cup, but his emergence and dominance that year is what took them over the top and gave them the successful run. 

When we got Jack, I said to my wife "he will never beat McDavid in regular season stats or the scoring race but watch him become more dominant in the playoffs and win more cups". We just have to build a team that can get him there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.