Eichel Deal Done: 8 years 80 Million

Brawndo

Per John Wawrow

Eichel's agent Peter Fish tells AP Eichel elected to take less money to allow #Sabres more room to make moves under the cap.

Awesome news. Down the road that $1-1.5/ yr he left on the table might be the difference between having a Hecht on the 3rd line & a Kevin Porter.

Now we need Jack Eichel to be the guy he thinks he can.

He's got a lot to prove.

As in minimum 80-plus point seasons, with a few that flirt with 100-points over the duration of the contract.

AND, it has include regular trips to the playoffs. This ain't a contract to be Tyler Seguin.

Personally I think he's got it in him, but talk is cheap.

I know we will never hear it, but I’m still convinced that this has been done for months now.

This was what the Sabres had offered months ago. Eichel's people hoped for more and then blinked. In a manner of 24 hours they leaked that negotiations would stop till summer, then contacted Sabres to revisit numbers, then agreed to a deal that had been there all along. Win Botterill!

This was what the Sabres had offered months ago. Eichel's people hoped for more and then blinked. In a manner of 24 hours they leaked that negotiations would stop till summer, then contacted Sabres to revisit numbers, then agreed to a deal that had been there all along. Win Botterill!

Everyone wins.

It's just starting. The critiques of Jack will go up 100 fold.

I'm usually with you on stuff like this, but in this case don't you think they should.

With great money comes great expectations. Unlike say Okposo, who used to be underpaid, this is money Jack hasn't earned yet.

Edited by dudacek

I'm usually with you on stuff like this, but in this case don't you think they should.

With great money comes great expectations. Unlike say Okposo, who used to be underpaid, this is money Jack hasn't earned yet.

The problem I have with that line of thinking is 1) Kyle didn't perform for us when he was "underpaid" and 2) he will be overpaid in two years when his lack of speed makes him the next Matt Mo. You pay your home grown 2OA budding star for potential. If it doesn't work your in Daigle territory. I don't think we are headed there.

Rumor is his agents told him to play out the season because he'd get more. He decided against that.

I’m glad to hear this, but like so much else about the Sabres right now, it’s quite possible that the results won’t live up to the hype.

Eichel can’t just put up numbers on a bad team. His line can’t get dominated and outscored by the opponent’s top line. And he has to lift up his team by inspiring/demanding/intimidating his teammates to do better.

There’s reason for hope but by Xmas the results need to be there on the ice and in the standings.

I’m glad to hear this, but like so much else about the Sabres right now, it’s quite possible that the results won’t live up to the hype.

Eichel can’t just put up numbers on a bad team. His line can’t get dominated and outscored by the opponent’s top line. And he has to lift up his team by inspiring/demanding/intimidating his teammates to do better.

There’s reason for hope but by Xmas the results need to be there on the ice and in the standings.

This deal doesn't kick in until next season. I think he'll live up to his ELC this season :)

The problem I have with that line of thinking is 1) Kyle didn't perform for us when he was "underpaid" and 2) he will be overpaid in two years when his lack of speed makes him the next Matt Mo. You pay your home grown 2OA budding star for potential. If it doesn't work your in Daigle territory. I don't think we are headed there.

Agreed. The last few seasons have seen a changing of the way teams do things, probably for the better - you're basically paying fair value for a player's best years.

I wonder if a 29-year-old Jack and Connor and Auston will be looking at pay cuts on their UFA contracts.

Rumor is his agents told him to play out the season because he'd get more. He decided against that.

Which makes sense, he found a number that he could agree too and moved on.  No more need for drama and questions during the season.  He's growing up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.