Eichel Deal Done: 8 years 80 Million

Brawndo

So Jack signed for about 1mil under what I thought he might. It was right in the ballpark though. How often have we seen teams where guys are overpaid by 1mil or 2 and because they have 3-5 contracts like that they screw themselves? I think Jack taking or making slightly less is a great thing. It also sets an example for his teammates that if they want, could follow. Maybe Evander takes less because he can be on Jack's wing or he likes Jack's example. Just a thought. 

Leading by example possibly. A culmination of a bunch of $1M/yr savings relative to market value adds up to another top 9 player.

Not saying it is likely, but intriguing nonetheless.

Reminder that there is a press conference at 2pm with Jack Eichel. I would assume sabres.com will stream it or at least wgr550 will carry it. 

Moments away.. WATCH LIVE 1f4f1.png Facebook: http://bufsabres.co/M3at0F  1f4fa.png TV: @MSGNetworks

Pegula and Botterill will be there. 

Still love this video... at 1:25 of that video, Reinhart, being fine. 

Toews isn't worth his contract

Question. What will Pi do if Matthews signs for say 1-2mil more than Jack? Does that make him partially right about Matthews being money driven?

And I wonder how much that has impacted contracts. Jack, McDavid, any others who left money because they saw how a dynasty is built?

I can see his agent asking for more than what Eichel got.    But Nylander is their best player I think and could command around the same, and they still got marner.

No way they can keep Kadri and Marleau on board by then.

Nice video :D

Edited by Huckleberry

Sure.

K

Between the "great news, but..." folks (there were a few) and a mod's "nbd" take, I'm somewhat at a loss at how there's not a more unanimously celebratory vibe up in here.

I think there's a better than 50% chance that the franchise just locked up the player who will come to be known as the greatest Sabre and greatest hockey player ever to play for the team. (At present, those titles are held by two different players, IMO.)

In light of that:

Well, as a "great news but" guy, I'll say that the last 6 years have left me cold and dead inside.  Also, the preseason wasn't exactly inspiring.

Although that "get ready for this season" video someone posted in a different thread did get the blood flowing a bit...

KBetween the "great news, but..." folks (there were a few) and a mod's "nbd" take, I'm somewhat at a loss at how there's not a more unanimously celebratory vibe up in here.

I think there's a better than 50% chance that the franchise just locked up the player who will come to be known as the greatest Sabre and greatest hockey player ever to play for the team. (At present, those titles are held by two different players, IMO.)

I’m ecstatic he’s signed, don’t get me wrong. I just bought my first Sabres “gear” in 3 years, 2 days ago. An Eichel “told you I was comin’ for ya” shirt :)

obviously you do not make this guy the face of the franchise and pay him 80 mill when he really hasn't even done anything yet (compared to McDavid and Mathews who both led their teams to the playoffs) and not name him captain. you have to, and Jack has to try to live up to the pressure of being paid huge money for what they hope he will do, not what he has done. i sure hope he can lead this team into the playoffs but we'll have to wait and see. I am maybe about 50/50 they can make the playoffs. There are a pile of other teams that look good too so it should not be easy...

Well, as a "great news but" guy, I'll say that the last 6 years have left me cold and dead inside.  Also, the preseason wasn't exactly inspiring.

Although that "get ready for this season" video someone posted in a different thread did get the blood flowing a bit...

That's the spirit 

I know this isn't the Sabre Dance, but it made me think of it. Does the team use it for anything still or had it faded into obscurity?

It's faded but that orchestral opening needs to make a comeback... it's fantastic. That opening 30 seconds is just primed into my brain to mean Sabres Hockey. 

So.. based on a comment in another thread...

Wonder if Eichel took less (as being reported) with the concept that they could use some of that money to sign Kane?

Wonder if Kane & Eichel being glued to the hip as the 1 "pairing" that hasn't changed at all this preseason is in deference to them REALLY wanting to be on the same line?

(In an 'all animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others' sort of way.)

It's faded but that orchestral opening needs to make a comeback... it's fantastic. That opening 30 seconds is just primed into my brain to mean Sabres Hockey. 

The opening is from the Berlin Orchestra with the Scorpions take on Rock you like a Hurricane.

https://youtu.be/_A8DYYZGq5k

Edited by thewookie1

I’m ecstatic he’s signed, don’t get me wrong. I just bought my first Sabres “gear” in 3 years, 2 days ago. An Eichel “told you I was comin’ for ya” shirt :)

Awesome. I can't wait to see it...

On my bedroom floor. I keed, I keed.

Bury that deep that we may never hear it again. We were fools to use a song about Hurricanes.

Yes!!! Please it was downright embarrassing that no one in the organ-eye-zation realized what a cluster that was for fans. We just got our hearts stomped on by Carolina and we are using 'Rock you like a Hurricane' as our intro? Come on man!!

Wonder if Kane & Eichel being glued to the hip as the 1 "pairing" that hasn't changed at all this preseason is in deference to them REALLY wanting to be on the same line?

(In an 'all animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others' sort of way.)

It has to be that, there is no alternative. Eichel is the #1 center and Kane gets a shot to show he's a true #1 winger. Hope it works.

the fook?

this is a big effing deal.

Well, it is a big deal, but it's not like anyone should have been nervous about it.  I said it in the thread when so many were panicking.  It was a done deal.  The time to announce it was at the start of the season and no need before then.  Create anticipation and worry and then allow Sabres fans who are nervous nellies to have their massive release just before the season starts.  The only thing left is to announce him as C at the start of the game....

It's pretty textbook.  So, yes, it's a big deal, but at the same time I never doubted he was going to sign for 8 years.. the amount was not my concern at all.. it was going to be for a ton of money.  (it still was right to pin it).

I really do think they enjoy playing together. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.