Sabres pick #8 Casey Mittlestadt

spndnchz

Injuries are a legitimate concern tho if he has chronic strength issues.

That's a mighty big "if."

It sounds to me like he's a prospect who shouldn't sniff the NHL for at least 3 years. Spend two at Minny, and then one in the A. That would allow him time to get stronger. The only risk with his current strength, to me, would be putting him into a situation for which he's not physically ready. He'll be ready, eventually, I am sure -- so long as he puts the work in.

A prospect like Sam Bennett (who made the pull-up thing somewhat famous) -- I know nothing about him, but can only infer that he was pushed along too quickly.

That's a mighty big "if."

It sounds to me like he's a prospect who shouldn't sniff the NHL for at least 3 years. Spend two at Minny, and then one in the A. That would allow him time to get stronger. The only risk with his current strength, to me, would be putting him into a situation for which he's not physically ready. He'll be ready, eventually, I am sure -- so long as he puts the work in.

A prospect like Sam Bennett (who made the pull-up thing somewhat famous) -- I know nothing about him, but can only infer that he was pushed along too quickly.

I didn't expect Clayton Keller to make the jump last season.   Thought he would need a few years to physically develop.   

Mittelstadt is strong. His lower body is solid.

Too bad he couldn't do pull-ups with his feet.

Maybe he wanted to play in Buffalo and he knew a poor combine would drop him to us in the draft /s

Consider there are infinite parallel...  we live in that universe.

I didn't expect Clayton Keller to make the jump last season.   Thought he would need a few years to physically develop.   

Not sure who that is either, but I'll take it as a sign that there's a possibility Mittlestadt could do likewise.

Who said something about him being reminiscent of Mitch Marner? 

Also, how long is it before some seasoned and accomplished NHLer taunts one of these young 'uns with a pull-up taunt during a game? There's a potentially devastating visual that could be used that would look something like this (no political implications intended).

normal.jpg?1315199475

Not sure who that is either, but I'll take it as a sign that there's a possibility Mittlestadt could do likewise.

Who said something about him being reminiscent of Mitch Marner? 

Also, how long is it before some seasoned and accomplished NHLer taunts one of these young 'uns with a pull-up taunt during a game? There's a potentially devastating visual that could be used that would look something like this (no political implications intended).

normal.jpg?1315199475

Heh. I bet the current POTUS can't do a pull up either.

Edited by MattPie

I bet Putin could do at least 20.

Undoubtedly, dude has been laying off the borscht lately..

Trump is really the best at pull ups. He can do the most of anyone he's ever heard of. When people talk about pull-ups, his name always comes up. He's also mad that the media took a picture of him doing them but didn't edit out Putin lifting his legs.

(I'm hoping this is taken lightly as I intend it)

Undoubtedly, dude has been laying off the borscht lately..

Trump is really the best at pull ups. He can do the most of anyone he's ever heard of. When people talk about pull-ups, his name always comes up. He's also mad that the media took a picture of him doing them but didn't edit out Putin lifting his legs.

(I'm hoping this is taken lightly as I intend it)

ouch lmao..

I think Zemgus could have benefitted from more time in the A. His game has not evolved and perhaps regressed. He looked quite promising early on and now we can't get rid of him fast enough.

He had 2 bad coaches (Rolston/Blysma) while he was  here that certainly did not help his game. I give Nolan a pass as neither helping or hurting. Nolan played a simple game that allowed Zemgus to show he could belong and do well at the NHL level, but then Blysma appeared and crushed that seedling.

Under a *normal* situation where the Sabres aren't in the middle of a 4 year span of tanking and front office turnover he would have benefited staying in the A a year or two more.  But, I'm not sure he would have progressed enough given the Sabres NHL and AHL miss management during his time here.

As I see it he lucked out getting that year with Nolan and not being in the A , or else he very well could be back playing in Latvia. 

He had 2 bad coaches (Rolston/Blysma) while he was here that certainly did not help his game. I give Nolan a pass as neither helping or hurting. Nolan played a simple game that allowed Zemgus to show he could belong and do well at the NHL level, but then Blysma appeared and crushed that seedling.

Under a *normal* situation where the Sabres aren't in the middle of a 4 year span of tanking and front office turnover he would have benefited staying in the A a year or two more. But, I'm not sure he would have progressed enough given the Sabres NHL and AHL miss management during his time here.

As I see it he lucked out getting that year with Nolan and not being in the A , or else he very well could be back playing in Latvia.

This is well thought out

He had 2 bad coaches (Rolston/Blysma) while he was here that certainly did not help his game. I give Nolan a pass as neither helping or hurting. Nolan played a simple game that allowed Zemgus to show he could belong and do well at the NHL level, but then Blysma appeared and crushed that seedling.

Under a *normal* situation where the Sabres aren't in the middle of a 4 year span of tanking and front office turnover he would have benefited staying in the A a year or two more. But, I'm not sure he would have progressed enough given the Sabres NHL and AHL miss management during his time here.

So basically it was a catch 22 with zemgus. Rochester hasn't developed any good prospects this decade, so he'd have been if he was playing there, and Buffalo has had some of the worst coaches in the league so he didn't develop any in the NHL. That's about as worst case scenario as you get as a first rounder.

This is well thought out

Well, thank you!

So basically it was a catch 22 with zemgus. Rochester hasn't developed any good prospects this decade, so he'd have been ###### if he was playing there, and Buffalo has had some of the worst coaches in the league so he didn't develop any in the NHL. That's about as worst case scenario as you get as a first rounder.

It gives credence to those that have put Buffalo far down on the list of *go to* organizations. Understandably there was a lot of turmoil within the NHL ranks, but it's the AHL miss-management that we keep coming back to as our core problem.

Who in Rochester is ready?

Did we draft that bad?

Lots of questions and problems that will need a few seasons to solve.

I still have hope for Zemgus to be just as good a third liner as Larsson. If Kane sticks around I think those three would be a killer third line.

Zemgus might still be able to do some board work for Eichel, too.

A lot of people on this board are hoping for a Bogo rebound, and I'm over here telling myself that the "real" Gus will show himself again this year with a different coach.

A lot of people on this board are hoping for a Bogo rebound, and I'm over here telling myself that the "real" Gus will show himself again this year with a different coach.

True is the biggest Girgs fan. He's made a couple good posts on how Girgs will be better than everyone thinks he will be

True is the biggest Girgs fan. He's made a couple good posts on how Girgs will be better than everyone thinks he will be

It's not even so much that I'm his biggest fan, it's just that the underlying numbers suggest he's the same guy he was under Nolan. How raw production being lower is due to going from top line minutes and 1st PP unit to 3rd-4th line minutes and no PP time. Popular perception, however, was unreasonably high during the Nolan year and is unjustly low now. He's a versatile depth player, and that's all he's ever been.

It's not even so much that I'm his biggest fan, it's just that the underlying numbers suggest he's the same guy he was under Nolan. How raw production being lower is due to going from top line minutes and 1st PP unit to 3rd-4th line minutes and no PP time. Popular perception, however, was unreasonably high during the Nolan year and is unjustly low now. He's a versatile depth player, and that's all he's ever been.

and all he really needs to be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.