Housley Named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

This might be the stupid Buffalo optimism speaking, but listening to Phil makes me think Bogo is gonna play like a top-4 dman. Mark me down as OUT of the bunker.

I think I'm out too, but I still have its lat/lon as a favorite place in my GPS.

As the (self-appointed) leader of the "No Nostolgia" club, I think its just a coincidence. Both of these guys were talked about for a while as being desirable to a number of teams. Nolan and Lafontaine was fanboying, these guys are legit, and just happen to have been Sabres (I think).

The nature of the NHL. Even the great ones played for half a dozen teams in their careers.

I think I'm out too, but I still have its lat/lon as a favorite place in my GPS.

I'll be the first one to go back in but I truly believe Byslma was a candle-snuffer of talent on this team. It's not so much I have faith in Bogo it's that I despised DDB and want to see evidence that everything bad that happened was his fault.

I'm not sure.

Didn't we start with the additional letters in order to disambiguate people from one another? I seem to recall some issue with TB being confusing -- Ted Black or ... who was it? Not sure.

And then GMTM was just natural.

Seems like, with Housley, it can just be PH. Nah?

That's Paul Hamilton

He might be good as a coach, just I'm not that excited. And it isn't because of Housley....Its that there have been SO many changes the since Pegula took over the Sabres (on both the Bills and the Sabres), each bringing new hope but no results...I just can't get excited about this as much as I should.  I'm worn out by all that has happened in the past.

So it's Housley.   I'm concerned about his lack of experience as a rookie head coach.    Maybe the hockey will be more fun to watch, which would be nice... but might take some time for him to settle in and get comfortable with such a huge leadership responsibility.

Don't want to be sounding like the guys from GR, but in two interviews, when Housley was asked about the talent on this team he mentioned Moulson and Ennis, but neglected Reinhart and Kane. WTF?

I absolutely loved LOVED his comment about providing structure and then TRUSTING THE PLAYERS TO CREATE within that structure.

Sorry for shouting, but I have a lot of repressed Dan Bylsma anger.

Edited by dudacek

Don't want to be sounding like the guys from GR, but in two interviews, when Housley was asked about the talent on this team he mentioned Moulson and Ennis, but neglected Reinhart and Kane. WTF?

I absolutely loved LOVED his comment about providing structure and then TRUSTING THE PLAYERS TO CREATE within that structure.

Sorry for shouting, but I have a lot of repressed Dan Bylsma anger.

It's one of those things that normally I wouldn't read too much into, but hearing different things here and there I've thought for a while Reinhart was getting traded. This lack of mention, combined with Botterill failing to mention Sam when highlighting our centres, just adds to it.

Kane being lumped in with Sam here adds to it even more. I'm trying to resign myself to the increasingly likely possibility that my second favourite player (Eichel being #1) gets traded, so it doesn't hurt as much when it happens.

Edited by Thorny

My uncle had seasons in the 80s, and sat next to a super old school fella who would SCREAM at Housley to hit people (with his purse, if necessary) and just generally hated the Housley style, etc.

It occurs to me: Was Housley's game ahead of its time? Smallish puck movers are the rage now.

It's one of those things that normally I wouldn't read too much into, but hearing different things here and there I've thought for a while Reinhart was getting traded. This lack of mention, combined with Botterill failing to mention Sam when highlighting our centres, just adds to it.

Kane being lumped in with Sam here adds to it even more. I'm trying to resign myself to the increasingly likely possibility that my second favourite player (Eichel being #1) gets traded, so it doesn't hurt as much when it happens.

Really hope Sam doesnt get traded, still to see the best of him i reckon.

As for Housley being appointed - more than happy :)

So...what's his nickname gonna be?

Wimpley always seemed to work in his 1st stint here. Until proven otherwise ...

So how long until someone claims he coaches the D to be too soft?

:ph34r:

Actually, I'm hoping this works out. My concern is the way he excelled offensively at a young age that he won't necessarily be able to translate that to typically talented players. The concern is tempered in that his WJC team did very well.

The off season's been interesting so far for certain.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.