Housley Named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

I just hope the bolded isn't their only plan for a meaningful "addition" to our blue line.

I think dudacek's prediction of an under-the-radar acquisition who turn out to be legit top 4 material sounds pretty good (mostly because I think there will be bidding wars for whomever Anaheim decides to trade and any other well-known guys, and JBott will be too levelheaded to bid too much -- but I also think he'll recognize that they need another real defenseman).

I don't think I've ever watched Housley highlights before this video. Sublime skating. 

I've said this before, but he was the 2nd-most exciting Sabre I've ever seen. 

There haven't been many NHL defensemen who moonlighted as NHL centers.

Here's a negative view from a Preds fan, taken from hfboards:

I wish him the best, I think he's a great guy and he'll definitely help the D-men. I think he'll be a pretty poor head coach though. The two facets of the Preds that he was most involved in other than working with the defenseman (power play and OT) were the two worst aspects of the Preds and he never seemed to be able to adjust at all.

Is this the common refrain though? Or is this basically just one idiot running around

Good thing he will have assistants to run those.

The issue with that isn't the power play or OT - we've shown that we can do those based on raw talent alone - but what that could mean as a character trait, an inability to adjust and come up with answers when things aren't working. 

I'll stress that this isn't my view, it's one I saw a Preds fan give. I'd like to see him coach this team for a few months before coming to any opinions.

I think dudacek's prediction of an under-the-radar acquisition who turn out to be legit top 4 material sounds pretty good (mostly because I think there will be bidding wars for whomever Anaheim decides to trade and any other well-known guys, and JBott will be too levelheaded to bid too much -- but I also think he'll recognize that they need another real defenseman).

1.) Calvin De Haan please!

2.) It'll be interesting to see where Antipin roams to while he's out there, because he was in some wonky spots on the power play in the highlights we've seen posted here. 

Or until he gets turned on because Bogosian, Gorges, Falk, McCabe, Risto, and Antipin somehow don't play quite as well as the group he had in Nashville?

Yup, it'll be interesting to see what he can do with:

McCabe - Ristolainen

Antipin - Bogosian

Gorges - Falk

That's what I'm hoping. But increasingly it doesn't look like it'll be the expansion draft that facilitates that addition, as some thought.

Edited by Thorny

Re: a potential Bogo revelation: no. I think Housley will allow Bogo to play to his strengths, but no coaching can change his Canadian penny hockey sense and inevitable 20 game injury. He'll be better, but thinking he'll suddenly be a legit top-4 on a good team is bordering on delusional.

Re: a potential Bogo revelation: no. I think Housley will allow Bogo to play to his strengths, but no coaching can change his Canadian penny hockey sense and inevitable 20 game injury. He'll be better, but thinking he'll suddenly be a legit top-4 on a good team is bordering on delusional.

Guess they should Girardi then...  :ph34r:

Agreed, which hopefully Bottz sees as well.

It's gonna happen man.  And when it does I want an eat crow post at the end of next season.

or this.....

I don't think our top six defense men are all currently on our roster. I can see Bots waiting to name a HC before pulling trigger on trades.

Right now the only gtd are Rasmussen, McCabe, and Antipin. We should have a better idea after expansion draft.

Edited by dejeanerret

Exciting - I wasn't expecting an announcement until the weekend, but from the speed of this decision Housley was JBott's guy all along and they were just waiting until the playoffs concluded. It's very rare that the guy I pick as my #1 choice actually gets the job, and we will soon see how clever all of us on SS are with our coaching picks.

#BetterthanBylsma :w00t:

I am happy because I think he could be good, but until he proves he is better than Barftastic Bylsma, I will reserve judgement. 

I would argue Buffalo has more forward talent than Nashville, it hasn't been used probably and isn't mature yet.

Agreed

Exciting - I wasn't expecting an announcement until the weekend, but from the speed of this decision Housley was JBott's guy all along and they were just waiting until the playoffs concluded. It's very rare that the guy I pick as my #1 choice actually gets the job, and we will soon see how clever all of us on SS are with our coaching picks.

#BetterthanBylsma :w00t:

Ain't that the most correct hashtag ever 

To Inkman, I don't think Nash D ever played soft.

To the Preds fan bitching about the PP, it was admittedly average, but was that a forward issue? Housley might simply retain the coach of the No.1 PP and then let things alone.

I love the hire, but admittedly 1st time NHL coaches rarely win the Cup during their first NHL HC job, but it has happened. (DD anyone?).

What I'm hoping Wowie brings to the Sabres is better possession play and better structure on D. I love watching the Preds and I can envision our top forwards in the roles the Preds had Johansen, Forsberg and Arvidsson. He also may be the best guy available to elevate the games of McCabe and Risto, while helping Antipin and maybe Guhle adjust to the NHL. If he can resurrect Bogo, all the better.

I find it interesting how quickly this has wrapped up. If not for the gambling issue, my guess is that Tocchet would have been the front runner, but character was clearly an issue for TP.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.