• Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Is zero small?

NHL Tonight had a 5 minute segment on it the day of our red wedding. It got significant coverage nation wide in print too. Not every day a GM and HC gets releieved of their duties on the same day. It was rather savage lol.

Couldn't agree more. I don't want to exclude someone just because of past affiliation but I definitely don't want to consider someone just because of a past affiliation.

I do. I want to stab my eyes out whenever I see alumni suggested for either team. Keeping alumni out of these positions at least helps abate the relentless, never ending parade of nostalgic suggestions.

The perennial cellar dwellers, Buffalo Sabres hiring a coach would be a distraction from playoff hockey? I'm pretty sure the number of people who care outside of Buffalo and this board is quite small.

Ehh...Pegula's presser aired live here in Canada, on Sportsnet. Canada will eat up anything hockey.

Edited by Thorny

Per Kris Baker

Growing opinion among well-connected that Lombardi is clear-cut best candidate for Sabres. Clout w/ owners, knows market/chess pieces.

I mean, they're right in some ways; dude can step in and do the job right away. I worry about his cap management, though.

The more I think about it, the more I want Lombardi for VP of Hockey Ops and a youngblood GM. 

I mean, they're right in some ways; dude can step in and do the job right away. I worry about his cap management, though.

The more I think about it, the more I want Lombardi for VP of Hockey Ops and a youngblood GM. 

I wonder if Lombardi is the kind of guy you bring in as the GM right now, and then in a year or so (before he can screw anything up more than it already is) you "promote" him to that role and bring in a GM under him. 

Per Kris Baker

Growing opinion among well-connected that Lombardi is clear-cut best candidate for Sabres. Clout w/ owners, knows market/chess pieces.

Welp, I need another shower now. 

This, if true, writes some of the nonsense in this thread re: Pegula and "character" down on a large sheet of paper, stuffs it in a bottle filled with gasoline, sets fire to it, and tosses it into a church. 

If we win the Cup, twice? Lombardi can give Delauries a $100 million dollars and I wouldn't care.

My only hope is he legimitely self-assesses and learns from his disastrous last three years.

Only a complete ignoramus wouldn't have learned something.

I like the succession idea.  Let him pull the pieces together, navigate the draft and expansion, get a coach in place and succeed to POHO in a year or two when a new gm is named.  We could benefit from a guy with status league wide when it comes to trades.  

And to be fair, all successful cup winning teams eventually pay the price on a bad contract or 2.  Chicago is there now and Pittsburgh will be there soon.  Tampa got really lucky but is still not out of the woods.  Cross that bridge when we come to it.

On the plus side, we have decisions to make roster wise and he or any new gm isn't wedded to TMs guys.  I trust Lombardi to make a fair assessment and be able to deal our way out of some of our issues.  

In my dream world, I would like to see him hire a Fenton Boteril Brisebois in year 2 and hire Knoblaugh in Rochester to help turn them around.  But as I said only a dream.

24 hours after Harrington writes a good article on why he is not a good fit, he is named a front runner. Sigh

If the Sabres adopt the protocol to systematically do the opposite of whatever Bucky and Sully want them to do that would be just fine by me. 

I am actually not too upset with any of the choices that have been linked to the sabres thus far. Whenever a coach/GM search occurs, there is usually one candidate that is a clear "NO" for me that hangs on long enough to make me nervous and wonder what the FO is thinking. I would be okay with any of the GM candidates listed so far.

If the Sabres adopt the protocol to systematically do the opposite of whatever Bucky and Sully want them to do that would be just fine by me. 

:lol:

I am actually not too upset with any of the choices that have been linked to the sabres thus far. Whenever a coach/GM search occurs, there is usually one candidate that is a clear "NO" for me that hangs on long enough to make me nervous and wonder what the FO is thinking. I would be okay with any of the GM candidates listed so far.

Agreed. I know who I don't want. Those guys get the big NO from me. But the rest of the options I can just kinda shrug at, which is the most positive response anyone they hire is going to get from me until they do some stuff and we win. 

My only hope is he legimitely self-assesses and learns from his disastrous last three years.

I'd gladly settle for a disastrous three years if you get the same lead up to it.  I know this response is overly simplistic, but my  main take away when I think about Lombardi right now is that there's a big difference between giving a bad contract to Dustin Brown and giving one to Jack Eichel.  The cap games get a lot easier to stomach when you're dealing with early 20 somethings and you know they're nowhere near the point where they're going to fall off the cliff.

Right till the end, Lombardi over-emphasized size and grit. I'd say this could have been to get players right for his coach, but when you add in the Team USA debacle...

I have grave concerns he's failed to evolve with the league, and that he'd be a really bad fit with our roster.

I'd gladly settle for a disastrous three years if you get the same lead up to it. I know this response is overly simplistic, but my main take away when I think about Lombardi right now is that there's a big difference between giving a bad contract to Dustin Brown and giving one to Jack Eichel. The cap games get a lot easier to stomach when you're dealing with early 20 somethings and you know they're nowhere near the point where they're going to fall off the cliff.

The bad contracts are only one point against Lombardi. I'm quite skeptical he's capable of the same build up because the league has changed, while he has seemingly remained who he is.