• Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

@johnnymclean13
Just saw Scotty Bowman having lunch with Terry Pegula at the airport #Sabres

That's just some fan so I'm just going to assume this is garbage, but I thought I'd share it because of the Chicago AGM rumblings 

I mean, why Drury? He literally hasn't done anything. If he hadn't played here, and left us, would this even be a conversation?

It's got to be garbage.  Why in the world would they be eating at the airport?

And agreed on Drury.

Edited by Eleven

No clue. I think a Bills reporter and Marrone had an interview over lunch at an airport once though

It was practically in a holding cell, but yes, it was in an airport.  And neither the reporter nor Marrone had access to a private jet that is not located at the general airport.

Edited by Eleven

It was practically in a holding cell, but yes, it was in an airport.  And neither the reporter nor Marrone had access to a private jet that is not located at the general airport.

Good call. Yeah that tweet makes no sense then

I mean, why Drury? He literally hasn't done anything. If he hadn't played here, and left us, would this even be a conversation?

Well, Drury has worked in the Rangers' FO for 2 years.  His first year, he was Director of Player Development, and he was then promoted to AGM.  The Rangers are a pretty well-run organization.

It's probably too soon for him to get a GM job, so I think I'll withdraw my endorsement of GA's idea. 

But the reason to want Drury is that he knows what is required to win, he knows how to approach the game the right way, he cares deeply about winning and he's been successful at it for his entire career.

If he'd been AGM for 4 years instead of 1, I'd be pounding the table for him.

Well, Drury has worked in the Rangers' FO for 2 years.  His first year, he was Director of Player Development, and he was then promoted to AGM.  The Rangers are a pretty well-run organization.

It's probably too soon for him to get a GM job, so I think I'll withdraw my endorsement of GA's idea. 

But the reason to want Drury is that he knows what is required to win, he knows how to approach the game the right way, he cares deeply about winning and he's been successful at it for his entire career.

If he'd been AGM for 4 years instead of 1, I'd be pounding the table for him.

I might want more than 4, and I might want it to be with a different organization, but I get you.

The idea of Drury was that he came here and changed the culture in the lockerroom immediately. Also that is why you get a youngish President who is actual charge. Drury comes in as his protege and learns to run the cap, make deals etc, but the real power is in Lombardi until he thinks Drury is ready to have the training wheels removed. If it you want different titles, call Lombardi President and GM and call Drury Senior VP of hockey operations. Whatever, but lets get Drury's influence on Jack

The idea of Drury was that he came here and changed the culture in the lockerroom immediately. Also that is why you get a youngish President who is actual charge. Drury comes in as his protege and learns to run the cap, make deals etc, but the real power is in Lombardi until he thinks Drury is ready to have the training wheels removed. If it you want different titles, call Lombardi President and GM and call Drury Senior VP of hockey operations. Whatever, but lets get Drury's influence on Jack

This isn't a bad idea, but it doesn't seem like it would be compelling from Drury's perspective, as it would be pretty much the same job he has now.

And supposedly Calgary is starting to work out a new deal ASAP. 

Heard that too, that sucks. I'd love to have him. He saw right through a crappy coach getting lucky into the playoffs, fired him, and got right back into the playoffs. 

Edited by WildCard

This isn't a bad idea, but it doesn't seem like it would be compelling from Drury's perspective, as it would be pretty much the same job he has now.

I agree he doesn't come here unless there are some "guarantees" that he'll take over within 3-4 years. Why does Ron Francis stay in Carolina? He's ready to take over a team, but he is the GM in waiting in Carolina. I want to do something similar here with Drury.

The other option is to get Fenton from Nashville, who has been ready since 2013 and pair him up with an older former GM to help him have someone to bounce ideas off of. I think this is where TM ultimately went wrong. He had no one else who knew anything about team management to mentor him.

I agree he doesn't come here unless there are some "guarantees" that he'll take over within 3-4 years. Why does Ron Francis stay in Carolina? He's ready to take over a team, but he is the GM in waiting in Carolina. I want to do something similar here with Drury.

The other option is to get Fenton from Nashville, who has been ready since 2013 and pair him up with an older former GM to help him have someone to bounce ideas off of. I think this is where TM ultimately went wrong. He had no one else who knew anything about team management to mentor him.

I assume you mean Ron Francis 3 or 4 years ago since he is the GM in Carolina.  Anyway, I think Drury is exactly where he wants to be.  Not that he's anywhere near ready to be anything other than what he is now, but he is not leaving that organization.

edit: , I just agreed with liger (I assume that's you).

Edited by shrader

@johnnymclean13
Just saw Scotty Bowman having lunch with Terry Pegula at the airport #Sabres

That's just some fan so I'm just going to assume this is garbage, but I thought I'd share it because of the Chicago AGM rumblings 

The guy is a winner. Winners associate with winners. I would love the culture and structure he would put into place.

I assume you mean Ron Francis 3 or 4 years ago since he is the GM in Carolina.  Anyway, I think Drury is exactly where he wants to be.  Not that he's anywhere near ready to be anything other than what he is now, but he is not leaving that organization.

edit: ######, I just agreed with liger (I assume that's you).

Nathan Gerbe can play center. 

The guy is a winner. Winners associate with winners. I would love the culture and structure he would put into place.

I'm hesitant on Maciver. Bergevin, IMO, is not a good GM, and Chevy isn't exactly all too hot either. Starting to feel like pillaging Chicago is the same as pillaging NE

How about Kevin McDonald of the St. Louis Blues, he has been with a perennial winner since 2001, started off as a professional scout for them. 2003 he became director of scouting, in 2005 he was also given the title of Assistant GM, which he shares still to this day with Al Macinnis. 

I've also been watching and reading up on Assistant GM Paul Fenton of the Nashville Predators, that team is almost always a playoff contender, he's been in the league for 18 seasons, 10 of them as the Assistant GM there in Nashville where he's been a huge part of the core players of Nashville, I think he's ready to take on the FT GM role.

Just some names to keep an eye on in this search.

How long is this expected to take? What happens if we do not have a GM in place by draft day? I wonder how this is affecting our scouting department? Mike Milbury (who I can't stand) said that our scouting dept is probably on "pins and needles" with uncertainty right now.

How long is this expected to take? What happens if we do not have a GM in place by draft day? I wonder how this is affecting our scouting department? Mike Milbury (who I can't stand) said that our scouting dept is probably on "pins and needles" with uncertainty right now.

I'd bet before the end of May, if not sooner.

The earliest? 1 week. The latest? End of May. Expected? Somewhere between there