• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Well that's awfully limiting. Though I'm on the Fenton bandwagon, somebody like Brisebois should absolutely be a candidate. Among others.

Of the experienced GM's available, who has anywhere near the track record of Lombardi? Gillis, Nonis? I think that fact puts him at the top of the experienced list.

Of the up and comers, you have looked at the resumes, who was anywhere near Fenton's track record? BrisBois doesn't, either does Botterill. Both are excellent future candidates, but if Fenton is interested, I think he is a step above. He has done everything for a great managed team in Nash, including 10 years as GM of their AHL team who have gone to the playoffs for those ten straight years. I'll say this, Botterill would be a great 2nd choice. I like everything I have ever read about what he has done in Pitt and he has the advantage of youth (he is only 40).

Both these guys could turn us down, and we'd have to go with plan B or C or D etc...., but these two are probably the best available.

Edited by GASabresFan

Names @RealKyper says he's hearing as potential Sabres GM's include Dean Lombardi & Jim Schoenfeld, & Phil Housley as coaching candidate.

This is interesting. I don't know much about what Schoenfeld has done in terms of scouting and what deals he was responsible for but he's been around a very long time from player to coach to front office and must know a lot of people. Like most of these guys, it'll be who they surround themselves with that will count for a lot. I wonder if he'd bring back Don Luce to head scouting?

I also love the idea of Housley as coach.

This is interesting. I don't know much about what Schoenfeld has done in terms of scouting and what deals he was responsible for but he's been around a very long time from player to coach to front office and must know a lot of people. Like most of these guys, it'll be who they surround themselves with that will count for a lot. I wonder if he'd bring back Don Luce to head scouting?

I also love the idea of Housley as coach.

Why do you feel that way about Phil?

Schoenfeld, great player, decent coach, but has he ever been a GM in the NHL? I know he worked for the Rags at some point, but he was never the GM.

Imho there are only 2 candidates; Lombardi if we want experience, Fenton if we want long-term smart management.

Not even close

Here come the journalist opinions on what we should do. TBN already going after Lombardi. Boston thinks we needs Jack's old coach for his firm hand working with Jack for one season. LV writer thinks we only have 1.3 mill in cap for next season.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/22/inside-nhl-lombardi-red-flags-pegula-needs-study-closely/

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/sabres-looking-for-general-manager-coach-again/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2017/04/22/fluto-shinzawa-the-sabres-next-must-bring-right-coach-and-fix-culture/ntZTmkxiS4gtiDCiLseZCJ/story.html

Some of the thoughts on Lombardi are valid. There is concern that if he wants the heavy system again, this won't work with our roster, but he also built San Jose. Heavy is not a word I'd use for them. Lombardi is a builder and developer.

Edited by GASabresFan

I'd like to see Rick Dudley be the Pesident of Hockey Operations and hire a GM.  Not sure we could get Dudley as a GM since that would be a step down from his current role as senior vice president of hockey operations for Montreal.  Most teams will let an executive go for a promotion (which going from VP to President would be), but can block executives from going laterally (GM to GM) or downward in Dudley's case.  So I think it would be President or nothing.

Here come the journalist opinions on what we should do. TBN already going after Lombardi. Boston thinks we needs Jack's olle coach for is firm hand working with Jack for one season. LV writer thinks we only have 1.3 mill in cap for next season.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/22/inside-nhl-lombardi-red-flags-pegula-needs-study-closely/

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/sabres-looking-for-general-manager-coach-again/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2017/04/22/fluto-shinzawa-the-sabres-next-must-bring-right-coach-and-fix-culture/ntZTmkxiS4gtiDCiLseZCJ/story.html

Some of the thoughts on Lombardi are valid. There is concern that if he wants the heavy system again, this won't work with our roster, but he also built San Jose. Heavy is not a word I'd use for them. Lombardi is a builder and developer.

LV writer confuses our cap space at end of this season vs what is tied up for next year. Weird.

Also says Eichel is an RFA, which he's not

Edited by Lanny

I'm sold on Fenton if he has the discipline and communication TP wants.

Annnnnnnd... come on... we went over this.

Maciver and Housley as head coach? Only thing better than that would be Fenton

Again, why Housley? What's the selling point?

I forgot the rest. Buzz words don't really impress me. Honestly I could have written tpegs a better speech with a more coherent focus. Saying words and explaining what they mean to you are separate things.

Again, why Housley? What's the selling point?

Nashville's defense.

As long as there's some meat on the bone and it's not just former Sabre great, I've heard of him, he was a dynamic player so it'll be fun to watch the Sabres again, etc.

Couldn't agree more. I don't want to exclude someone just because of past affiliation but I definitely don't want to consider someone just because of a past affiliation.

As long as there's some meat on the bone and it's not just former Sabre great, I've heard of him, he was a dynamic player so it'll be fun to watch the Sabres again, etc.

I don't care if he played for Boston, Buffalo, or any team. His defense has been good and that's the important part. Him playing for Buffalo 20 years ago means nothing.